Thread: On the Steelers: Tomlin had patience with a previous kicker

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

On the Steelers: Tomlin had patience with a previous kicker

A Steelers kicker missed a field goal from 41 yards at home early in the season and then missed another from 36 in a game that ended 23-20. He made only 7 of his first 11 field goals and none of his misses came from beyond 46 yards.

But coach Mike Tomlin stood by his man that time in 2011 and Shaun Suisham would repay his faith in him by becoming the most accurate place-kicker in franchise history.

Josh Scobee did not get that same vote of confidence after he made only 6 of 10 in his four-game stay with the Steelers this season. The difference? Suisham made 14 of 15 in his debut with the Steelers for half of the 2010 season after Jeff Reed was sent packing, and those misses early in 2011 all came in Steelers victories.............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201510050049

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: On the Steelers: Tomlin had patience with a previous kicker

I fail to see the point of this piece. Tomlin gave Suisham more rope because he didn't completely suck ass out of the gate the way Scobee did. Yeah, so?

Suisham established a baseline of reliability early and Scobee didn't. Simple as that. I have a feeling if Suisham would have missed four FGs over a 4-game stretch when he first started he wouldn't have stuck around either. And even so, Suisham is still a liability on kickoffs.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I fail to see the point of this piece. Tomlin gave Suisham more rope because he didn't completely suck ass out of the gate the way Scobee did? Yeah, so?

I have a feeling if Suisham would have missed four FGs over a 4-game stretch when he first started he wouldn't have stuck around either. And even so, Suisham is still a liability on kickoffs.
    Douchette

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Douchette
    Bullchitte.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Bottom line is everyone lost any faith they may have had in scooby. Everyone has bad kicks and misses one here and there but with scoob it seemed to be more of the rule than the exception. Had he started off decent and missed a kick I don't think he would have been sent down the river the way he did but he cost us against the pats* and the ravens. I saw some extra points that almost didn't make it as well. Any time he stepped up to kick I had a bad feeling he was going to miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Yeah Shaun was solid from the start but, you can't say the with Josh. Plus with Shaun if it was 49 yards or less he was almost automatic.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Shaun wasn't solid from the Start...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Shaun wasn't solid from the Start...
    14-of-15 in 2010? I'd say he was. What I remember is people kept waiting for the other shoe to drop with him due to his troubles in Washington.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Suisham had missed two field goal in the playoffs in 2010 and he was one of the worst kicker in the NFL in 2011.

I wanted to see him go in 2011, but since 2012 Suisham is automatic in the field goal of 49 yards or less.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

USA Today reported that when the Packers had a 4th and 1 on Sunday they handed the ball off to their best RB. They also cited the Steelers for choosing a different path.

Tomlin needs to get his gut checked. He hasn't done much without Cowher's squad and hasn't won a playoff game in years.

The paper also mentioned how it seemed Haley likes to call plays trying to make himself look smarter than the other coach rather than call plays that are best for the team.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    14-of-15 in 2010? I'd say he was. What I remember is people kept waiting for the other shoe to drop with him due to his troubles in Washington.
    But in 2011, I think he had a pretty rough effort...no? '12, '13, '14 he was solid though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Damn, just looked it up. The past three years Suisham is 30 for 30 from 40-49 yards. Strong!