Thread: Steelers-Ravens: Put the Pitchforks Down!!!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Steelers-Ravens: Put the Pitchforks Down!!!

Here is my Steelers-Ravens re-cap.

Put the Pitchforks Down!!!
    by Tiger Rowan

First off, that this was the toughest Steelers loss that I have experienced in quite a while. Afterwards, I could not fall asleep, because I kept replaying the last portion of the game over and over in my head. I tried to distract myself by reading funny memes… to no avail, because something and everything would undoubtedly remind me just how awful that loss was. Inevitably, I reverted back to perusing message board posts and/or comments at the bottom of articles, almost as though I was a glutton for punishment. Astonishingly, as hard as I took that loss, some of you out there might need to see a therapist. Seriously, a few fans need to step back and say to themselves: “It was only a game.”

Read more:
    http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...tchforks-down/

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers-Ravens: Put the Pitchforks Down!!!

Time to move on to the next game. Hopefully not as disappointing as this one.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Time to move on to the next game. Hopefully not as disappointing as this one.
    I agree.
    You agree.
    My dad... is gonna be pissed for 10 days.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I agree.
    You agree.
    My dad... is gonna be pissed for 10 days.
    Your dad must have blown a few gaskets last night. Poor guy.

Your dad must have blown a few gaskets last night. Poor guy.
    My dad is saintly in his level of patience. It's unreal. I've never seen him get angry...

...except for Steelers games.

He once karate chopped a TV tray after Bubby Brister threw an INT. Ever since, we joke about hiding the TV trays... sort of. Yesterday, my 4 year old was sitting next to him; so, Pop pop contained his anger... but, I could see the angst in his eyes.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

My dad is saintly in his level of patience. It's unreal. I've never seen him get angry...

...except for Steelers games.

He once karate chopped a TV tray after Bubby Brister threw an INT. Ever since, we joke about hiding the TV trays... sort of. Yesterday, my 4 year old was sitting next to him; so, Pop pop contained his anger... but, I could see the angst in his eyes.
    your Dad sounds pretty cool to me...

Get him some nerf balls so he can throw at the TV. I was resigned to the fact that the Steelers were going to blow the game because of the way they played after they took the 20-7 lead. I was almost pleasantly surprised when Scobee tried the 41 yarder. But, even he got it, I think the Steelers would have allowed a TD. At least it would not have gone into overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    your Dad sounds pretty cool to me...
    He truly is. TV trays may disagree...

Joking aside, he & I have attended quite a few games (SD, Pitt, Arizona)... and he's a joy to be around.

- - - Updated - - -

Get him some nerf balls so he can throw at the TV. I was resigned to the fact that the Steelers were going to blow the game because of the way they played after they took the 20-7 lead. I was almost pleasantly surprised when Scobee tried the 41 yarder. But, even he got it, I think the Steelers would have allowed a TD. At least it would not have gone into overtime.
    A few Christmases ago, we got him a punching bag.

I had a sinking feeling when Vick threw to AB on the sideline, and AB didn't get his feet in. I turned to my brother and said, "That's a bad sign." Something just felt "off" from that play on.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

On AB's bad game. I disagree on the one sideline pass. If we're talking about the same play, it looked to me that the ball came out too late and too wide for Brown to make the proper sideline adjustment to secure the catch and keep two feet in bounds.

I heard Chris Carter talking about it,and while some dismiss it, I'll take the word off a HOF receiver who's a close confidante of AB's, anyway his point was that Brown is going through an adjustment period getting used to the spin of the ball coming out of the left handed Vick. for example the ball AB dropped in the end zone dove down and away from Brown, whereas if that ball comes out of Ben's hand it does the opposite. AB such a technician and his and Ben's on field sync was so strong that he's just not even close to there yet with Vick. The gap between games should give them time to rectify this to a good degree. I would imagine that Brown will look more himself in San Diego a week Monday.

Regardless, good article.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    On AB's bad game. I disagree on the one sideline pass. If we're talking about the same play, it looked to me that the ball came out too late and too wide for Brown to make the proper sideline adjustment to secure the catch and keep two feet in bounds.

I heard Chris Carter talking about it,and while some dismiss it, I'll take the word off a HOF receiver who's a close confidante of AB's, anyway his point was that Brown is going through an adjustment period getting used to the spin of the ball coming out of the left handed Vick. for example the ball AB dropped in the end zone dove down and away from Brown, whereas if that ball comes out of Ben's hand it does the opposite. AB such a technician and his and Ben's on field sync was so strong that he's just not even close to there yet with Vick. The gap between games should give them time to rectify this to a good degree. I would imagine that Brown will look more himself in San Diego a week Monday.

That is true even though DHB made the adjustment already. There are other cues from BB Brown uses to determine trajectory also.
    All Defense!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    That is true even though DHB made the adjustment already. There are other cues from BB Brown uses to determine trajectory also.
    DHB is lower on the depth chart. He's probably been practicing with Ookie for the past six weeks (and is now practicing with Landry Jones, so he was shocked to see a throw come close to him.)

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Very nice work TR! But I still think Bell & or Williams should have taken those 4th down plays...no question. Its very seldom Bell gets pushed back, even when meeting two or three defenders. Miller didn't seem to be included in the mix Thursday either.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Yeah time to move on and, nothing worse than having the rats on the brink then don't finish them off. So it's Monday night in SD against Rivers let's hope for this best.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I should have read this prior to the other thread. Amazing article. Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post

Are you saying that I know less about football than Chris Carter??? ( )

Really though, Michael Irvin said the same thing.

I agree: the difference in AB was not having BB. Ball spin is one part, but I think it's familiarity. The game before, I said to my brother that BB could hit AB with his eyes closed. Those two are so in sync. AB is used to BB putting the ball in spot X... and Vick simply doesn't have the timing with AB.

And, I appreciate the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Very nice work TR! But I still think Bell & or Williams should have taken those 4th down plays...no question. Its very seldom Bell gets pushed back, even when meeting two or three defenders. Miller didn't seem to be included in the mix Thursday either.
    Thanks, man.

True... a very sound argument could be made for going with Bell.

That said, both of the 4th down plays which were called, were set up to succeed... Vick would have had the first down, if Foster hadn't gotten blocked back into Vick's running lane; and, AB was open. IMO not bad play-calls, just not executed well.

I guess my point is: even if they had gone with Bell, if the blocking wasn't sound (like on the Vick run), it wouldn't have mattered what play was called.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Thanks, man.

True... a very sound argument could be made for going with Bell.

That said, both of the 4th down plays which were called, were set up to succeed... Vick would have had the first down, if Foster hadn't gotten blocked back into Vick's running lane; and, AB was open. IMO not bad play-calls, just not executed well.

I guess my point is: even if they had gone with Bell, if the blocking wasn't sound (like on the Vick run), it wouldn't have mattered what play was called.
    IMO, that play was easily read by the defense. Right when it was snapped I knew it would be a forced QB run. It also went to the short side of the field, if I am not mistaken.

This team, as of now, is similar to the Kordell era, but without a defense. Vick is a QB you have to overcome to win. It's the same as when that complete waste oxygen Kordell was here.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    IMO, that play was easily read by the defense. Right when it was snapped I knew it would be a forced QB run. It also went to the short side of the field, if I am not mistaken.

This team, as of now, is similar to the Kordell era, but without a defense. Vick is a QB you have to overcome to win. It's the same as when that complete waste oxygen Kordell was here.
    I hear you. As far as running to the short side, they've run that play (with Bell) to the left pretty well. Heath, DD, and Beachum create the hole (see: first Bengals game last year). It was a sound play-call IMO... it just got blown up.

The defense isn't as good, but the offensive weapons are insane. Kordell never had anyone as good as AB, Bryant, & Miller to throw to. Heck, I could go 10/15 for 150 throwing to those three.

I hear you. As far as running to the short side, they've run that play (with Bell) to the left pretty well. Heath, DD, and Beachum create the hole (see: first Bengals game last year). It was a sound play-call IMO... it just got blown up.

The defense isn't as good, but the offensive weapons are insane. Kordell never had anyone as good as AB, Bryant, & Miller to throw to. Heck, I could go 10/15 for 150 throwing to those three.

Yes, but you are more accurate than Vick. You could also handle more than offensive 5 plays. : )
    Hater = Realist

Yes, but you are more accurate than Vick. You could also handle more than offensive 5 plays. : )
    I can also throw to my right.

I can also throw to my right.
    And you like dogs and you don't spread STDs. Your NFL resume is set ; )
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Yeah time to move on and, nothing worse than having the rats on the brink then don't finish them off. So it's Monday night in SD against Rivers let's hope for this best.
    The fact that it was the effing Ravens is what makes it hurt the worst.

Rivers is a turnover machine: 9 straight games with at least one INT. He'll get a ton of yards, but he'll also throw a critical pick. He's his own worst enemy. Oh... and their O-line is in shambles; their secondary is just about as banged up; and, they cannot generate a pass-rush (1 sack in 3 games). SUMMATION: They are reeling.

And you like dogs and you don't spread STDs. Your NFL resume is set ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I should have read this prior to the other thread. Amazing article. Couldn't agree more.
    Great minds...