Thread: NFL penalties reach all-time high as record number of flags fly through Week 3

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

NFL penalties reach all-time high as record number of flags fly through Week 3

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Re: NFL penalties reach all-time high as record number of flags fly through Week 3

They're making these games practically unwatchable! I just wanna watch some damn football, not a yellow flag fest of which zebra can score the most penalties.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: NFL penalties reach all-time high as record number of flags fly through Week 3

It's what the fans want!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Too much discretion left to the refs.

I can see them calling games like in the NHL. I completely believe Cam Newton's statement. It fits the model as to why refs call penalties on certain players and not on others. The hit on Ben was a personal foul. Barron tripped, but he continued to move forward to make a play on Ben. He was not pushed into Ben, it was not accidental contact. It was a flag. So you would expect the crack NFL video review committee to fine this personal foul correct? Uh-uh. Not happening.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

There's rules against everything now and every off season they "enhance" those rules and focus on certain penalties...yet they still aren't consistent or accurate in most cases...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There's rules against everything now and every off season they "enhance" those rules and focus on certain penalties...yet they still aren't consistent or accurate in most cases...
    I can handle some minor differences between officiating crews. What really peeves me is the crack NFL video review committee that is supposed to review all plays and hand out fines, etc. These guys must have directions to watch the headlines and see if anything is making news on Monday and Tuesday. If there are no complaints, just pick and choose a handful of fines for the week. If there is a big uproar, or if twitter is a buzz with something, make sure you fine the involved parties.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It's a racket. I think the Brady fiasco has caused lots of hesitation and second guessing in the NFL front office. It's obvious that the play should have been fined, but I am not going to lose any sleep over their inconsistent track record. At least Ben is walking without crutches.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

It truly is amazing. They don't make calls and everyone is up in arms. They make calls based on the rules and now everyone is up in arms.

The can't win for losing.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    It truly is amazing. They don't make calls and everyone is up in arms. They make calls based on the rules and now everyone is up in arms.

All I ask for is consistency. Regardless of who is involved, what the score is in the game, what time of the game, the age of the players, etc. Holding is holding is holding. Call the penalties consistently. Couple of times I saw the Ravens OLine with Dline jerseys in their hands. Penalty without question. Not 1 flag.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

That could be the problem. The refs have to learn a new standard every year.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Consistency is the main thing...and there is none. Also, rules with "gray" in them are faulty...rules need to be made black or white.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

So you're all good with the current state of NFL officiating? Really?

One of the ones that sticks out to me, one of the missed calls, was on the Flacco fumble. Harrison was pretty much mugged in the backfield.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It's because they've added about 500 rules over stupid shit, usually because of some controversy that the media generated. Then the media moves on to the next crisis du jour, and they make a rule about that. Then the rules pile up until there are basically just penalties at random. This is what happens when you run the league by button-mashing in response to the media. Lawyerball at its finest.

Interesting that now the media's focus is on too many penalties. So since that dictates league policy, maybe we'll see a focus on reducing the number of stupid rules this offseason.

Although knowing the way things work, they'll address the problem by making more rules about the rules. Like penalties can be challenged and reviewed, but only in such and such situation, so they end up wasting even more time every game, and then the first time there's a really bad penalty, they say it's not reviewable and it costs some team the game. So then they make a new rule about THAT too. Then pretty soon we're down to one possession per team each half and the rest is commercials about gambling on fantasy football. It appeals to the casual fan.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

The Bert Emmanuel.....oops Calvin Johnson rule has made it a nightmare for what a damn reception is.

I'm sick of that rule(s). They have had to clarify the rule and clarify again and the refs still get it wrong.

Too many rule changes, mean replays and flags. The game is too complicated rule-wise and too sissified.

I agree w/SR. 500+ rules over stupid shit.

Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    So you're all good with the current state of NFL officiating? Really?
    It's not a matter of what I like or want, it is a matter of "you" complaining in the past about penalties not being thrown, and now "you" are complaining about too many.

There can be penalties on every play b/c players break the rules on every play. If you want consistency, then the consistency will be to call them as they are seen .... by the refs.

You have to realize that refs are not machines, they are just humans so to expect them all to see plays the exact same and therefore call them the exact same is a bit naive.

The only way most people not affiliated with the NFL would understand would be to train for X months and get out there and officiate yourself.

I guess what I'm saying is to stop complaining. If your team is down by 7 and need the ball, if the opposing team grabs a penalty that ultimately helps your team win, will you seriously complain about it?
    ― Clint Eastwood

It's not a matter of what I like or want, it is a matter of "you" complaining in the past about penalties not being thrown, and now "you" are complaining about too many.

There can be penalties on every play b/c players break the rules on every play. If you want consistency, then the consistency will be to call them as they are seen .... by the refs.

You have to realize that refs are not machines, they are just humans so to expect them all to see plays the exact same and therefore call them the exact same is a bit naive.

The only way most people not affiliated with the NFL would understand would be to train for X months and get out there and officiate yourself.

I guess what I'm saying is to stop complaining. If your team is down by 7 and need the ball, if the opposing team grabs a penalty that ultimately helps your team win, will you seriously complain about it?
    Fair enough. You do make a very valid point about the refs being human.

I know you mean "you" as being in general, but personally speaking, I certainly don't like it when refs become a storyline of a game themselves. A ref crew that stays out of the spotlight in a game is generally one that has done a good job, IMO. I, for one, have never complained about them not throwing enough flags. I have complained when they let an obvious (and egregious) penalty go that occurred right in front of them and they still didn't throw a flag on it.

I guess my main complaint personally is not about the refs per se, but goes back to what SR was saying about there being too many rules (and far too many stupid ones), particularly the ones that were obviously put in place to simply placate the media (i.e, lawyerball). The refs have been put in a no-win situation and far too many of the new rules force them to make judgment calls from week to week and game to game, which has killed officiating consistency, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

IMHO the play on Ben should have been a penalty no doubt about it, but what is even more egregious is that the player was not fined for it. The play was blatantly against the rules, and again IMHO dirty. No the hit was not hard but he easily could have stopped and tried to get up and then get to Ben but he clearly stayed on the ground and took out his leg and that is the dirty part when he knows just like I do what the rule is.

I don't have a problem with Ben saying what he says about the play that's Ben and I understand. That still isn't an excuse for the NFL not fining the player. To me this alone encourages players to do what they want when it comes to playing against Ben. If that was damn near any other big QB the flags and fines would be automatic. My 2cents for what it's worth.

Battleball Champion!

What happens after the game by reviewers, I totally agree with in being equal. There is no excuse for that, if you see something in game one where a fine is levied, then that same infraction in game 2 should also result in a fine.
    ― Clint Eastwood

What happens after the game by reviewers, I totally agree with in being equal. There is no excuse for that, if you see something in game one where a fine is levied, then that same infraction in game 2 should also result in a fine.
    That has always been my desire. The video review is supposed to make everything even. A missed called by the refs is still supposed to be caught by the video review.

I'd like to hear the explanation on the hit on Ben.

Except when it's a "judgement call". Those of course aren't reviewable...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    That has always been my desire. The video review is supposed to make everything even. A missed called by the refs is still supposed to be caught by the video review.

I'd like to hear the explanation on the hit on Ben.
    Me too.

The hit wasn't dirty at all. It was a normal in-game play. It was, however, absolutely illegal. I'm okay with a ref missing it since there's a thousand things going on at any one time in the field. I don't like it, but I get it.

I am not okay with him not being fined for it after numerous other players have been fined for the same hit, especially since the rules stated it didn't matter whether it was or wasn't intentional.

Except when it's a "judgement call". Those of course aren't reviewable...lol...
    Not talking about in game, I am talking about the video review team at the NFL. You know, where they are supposed to review every play and hand out fines.

Ahhh...supposedly...