Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers remain confident in defense

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers remain confident in defense

Steelers remain confident in defense

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Friday, Sept. 4, 2015

The Steelers' perceived defensive strength is inside linebackers Lawrence Timmons and Ryan Shazier. They are the pulse of a unit that will enter the regular season at New England amid uncertainty.

The Steelers like what they saw from Shazier during the preseason. He played an inordinate number of downs for a starter, but it was enough to chip off the rust after a rookie campaign punctuated by injuries.

Defensive coordinator Keith Butler is confident Timmons' injured toe won't keep him from getting after quarterback Tom Brady during next Thursday's highly-antipcipated game.

With Timmons and Shazier watching from the sideline on Thursday night at Heinz Field, their backups — Sean Spence and Vince Williams — didn't leave Butler feeling confident about how they'll perform if forced into extended duty against the defending Super Bowl champions.

“For the most part, I thought we played well in the preseason,” said Spence, who had five tackles. “(On Thursday), we missed a couple of tackles. But the experience and having a chance to see different formations will always help in my development.”

Spence and Williams were inconsistent against the Carolina Panthers' second-team offense in a 23-6 loss that left the Steelers with a 1-4 preseason record. At times, they were out of position to defend the run and sometimes were shoved aside as Carolina created running seams.

It was reminiscent of how the first-team defense performed in a 43-19 loss to Buffalo a game earlier.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz3kt7o8leZ

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Steelers remain confident in defense

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Let's reassess when they actually play a game. Am I hopeful, yes. Am I optimistic? Not right now.

I really expect that we won't see much to like until about the 4th or 5th game. Not because of the suspensions, but because the defense has not played together for an extended period of time. Real head scratcher.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

the quote below is what bothered me, are they all in denial?

“For the most part, I thought we played well in the preseason,” said Spence.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

If true, we are in for a world of hurt this season. What a shame too. Ben is at the peak of his career and the D is at it's valley.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

From the context of the article, I think Spence meant his and Vince Williams' play?

With Timmons and Shazier watching from the sideline on Thursday night at Heinz Field, their backups — Sean Spence and Vince Williams — didn't leave Butler feeling confident about how they'll perform if forced into extended duty against the defending Super Bowl champions.

For the most part, I thought we played well in the preseason,” said Spence, who had five tackles. “(On Thursday), we missed a couple of tackles. But the experience and having a chance to see different formations will always help in my development.”

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

If the defense is bad as preseason,this defense will be historically bad(480 points or more)...This is certain that the defense is not good, but I do not think this defense is historically bad.

Of course, this defense can be the worst in steelers history(421 points is the record).

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Defensive coordinator Keith Butler is confident Timmons' injured toe won't keep him from getting after quarterback Tom Brady during next Thursday's highly-antipcipated game.
    So in reality, we are only one injured toe away from disaster.

But if the defense is historically bad, Tomlin, Butler and Colbert will deserve to be fired.....

“Obviously, they’re the reigning champs and they have players who are All-Pro, but we have those, too — on defense and offense,” Heyward said. “For anybody who thinks it’s going to be 55-45, you’re mistaken. It’s going to be a very close game, and I don’t think it’s going to reach that.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201509050051

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

If the Defense is "historically" bad, then Butler should be shown the door instantly.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It seems this preseason was about process and scheme installation rather than scoreboard results. Ignore the scoreboard, take back a few big plays, and ignore the crap by 3rd and 4th stringers and SOME of Spence's statement rings true.

Man, that is a whole lot of "if" no matter how I slice it.

Like others have said, I remain optimistic that this defense can be much better than everyone seems to think, but am not counting on it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If the defense is bad as preseason,this defense will be historically bad(480 points or more)...This is certain that the defense is not good, but I do not think this defense is historically bad.

Of course, this defense can be the worst in steelers history(421 points is the record).
    I think they'll easily give up the most points in team history. I can't remember them being so bad in the preseason...hopefully I'm just being pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Sounds like karaoke night when a bunch of drunk chicks think they can sing, but it sounds like a cat fight.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

I say we throw tradition out the window. Our LB corps should be Harrison, Shazier, Timmons, Williams.

I like Moats but Williams brings the pain.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Man i have to have faith .If the people runnin our front office are like that . Ain't no reason to even have a tail left to tuck between your leg .
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

I say the d comes out strong and as yet unidentified. That is their strong suit. No one knows who is going to play the roll of kick your ass . You guys are so smart you tell me who will kick your ass on this d-fense?
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    I say the d comes out strong and as yet unidentified. That is their strong suit. No one knows who is going to play the roll of kick your ass . You guys are so smart you tell me who will kick your ass on this d-fense?
    Outside of James Harrison the ass kicker is Vince Williams and unfortunately I don't think he will see the field enough to set the tone like that.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    From what I saw in Preseason it's going to be Harrison and Shazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The defense will go as Shazier & Tuitt go.

If they play up to their potential, this defense will be "good enough."

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

The problem with our supposed stockpiling strength at ILB against the run (which they haven't exactly shown they can stop either) is we still need a pass rush from the outside or our weak CB's will always be exposed against the pass no matter what "scheme" is dreamed up.

If I can see this, why can't they?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I am curious on how well Heyward is in his gap assignments.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The defense will go as Shazier & Tuitt go.

If they play up to their potential, this defense will be "good enough."
    It's a passing league now. The defense will go if they get a pass rush and find somebody that can cover the deep ball.

I'm not holding my breath

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Pats historically beat a zone defense. The Pats will come out throwing and taking big chances because the Steelers don't have anybody to rush the passer or intercept. I expect the game to be over by the first half.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TD's & Beer View Post
    It's a passing league now. The defense will go if they get a pass rush and find somebody that can cover the deep ball.
    Indeed.

The NFL is as simple as this:
    1. Get a passer. (QB)
    2. Protect the passer. (LT)
    3. Harass the passer. (OLB/DE)

Teams with those three go far. Alas, the Steelers can't seem to find any OLBs. A decade ago, only one team ran the 3-4 consistently; thus, guys like Joey Porter would be available in R3. Currently, half of the league uses a base 3-4; in turn, Porter would have been a top 20 pick in the past draft.

Anyway, the Steelers do NOT have a good pass-rusher. The three most talented players on defense are: Shazier, Tuitt, & Heyward. Ergo, this defense will only be as good as those three are. If they have a good season, the defense will be "good enough"... but, Yes, without a pass-rusher, this defense will never be "good."

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Pats historically beat a zone defense.
    Historically we've stopped the run first to force the pass so our OLB's could feast. That doesn't apply now. Teams will come out passing.

Brady can pick apart a 10 yd cushion...after the 1st time we get burned deep over the middle that's what we'll be playing, you watch.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    From the context of the article, I think Spence meant his and Vince Williams' play?
    Either way, Spence is running his mouth again.

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Steelers DBs drafted Day 3 since '12

Doran Grant
    Shaquille Richardson
    Terry Hawthorne
    Terence Frederick
    Gerod Holliman

None made the team

Steelers claimed they added 29 INTs after draft. None of those players will be on the team this year.

Like I said a couple days ago. Steelers are awesome at evaluating WRs. But equally bad at evaluating the guys covering them.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Either way, Spence is running his mouth again.
    Mark my words, the Steelers running their mouth is going to bite them in the ass once the season starts. Mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    Mark my words, the Steelers running their mouth is going to bite them in the ass once the season starts. Mark my words.

It's ridiculous.....The steelers are not running their mouth!!!!....You're too sensitive

If you want to know what this is running their mouth, just to watch the 2010 jets before their playoffs game against the pats!