Thread: My final 53

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

My final 53

So a lot of people make a 53 based on what they think the Steelers will do. I always like to make one (and see other people's) based on what they themselves would do in a position of power:

QB (3) - Ben, Vick, Murphy

First 2 are obvious. My reasoning behind Murphy is simply because I don't disagree with having a third on the roster but the spot should make sense. I think regardless of who you have there that isn't Charlie Batch you aren't expecting a win. You can't get much worse than Landry Jones so why not keep Murphy who can at least move around and potentially make something happen even without being the best passer? On top of that he gives you added depth at receiver for free from this spot. Practicing as a QB gives him knowledge of routes and what not so he won't be behind the curve in that regard either.

RB (4) - Bell, Williams, Johnson, Free Agent

Again, pretty standard except for cutting Archer and to a further extent Harris. Archer sucks and that is all there is to it. He will rarely ever get to return a kick and when he does it has rarely looked promising, he has been a shitty punt catcher and his value as an RB is next to none. And by next to none I would say -1 or -2. He is a gimmick player in an offense that is the furthest thing from needing a gimmick player. Chris Rainey was better. There I said it.

I say they find a cheap solid veteran in free agency and give him the 3rd/4th spot. Still not sure why we couldn't hand the ball to Will Johnson in an emergency.

TE (3) - Miller, Spaeth, James

Duh.

WR (5) - Brown, Wheaton, Bryant, DHB, Coates

Not a fan of the Coates draft pick but it isn't like we can go back that far lol. Anyway, I go this route while counting Murphy as an emergency 6th. Some don't like DHB because he drops balls but the same can be said about Coates and Bryant. Granted Bryant makes up for it by having 600 TD's and 10000 yards but DHB gives you special teams value and good blocking.

OL (8) - Beachum, Foster, Wallace, Gilbert, Decastro, Villanueva, Legursky, Hubbard/FA

The way these guys go down we should probably keep about 11 of them active but there ain't enough good ones. It is a pretty clear cut choice at this point. Can't say I follow the OL too closely so I bolded Hubbards name because I am not sure if you keep him or replace him with a free agent. Only place I am really unsure of anything.

DL (5) - Tuitt, McClendon, Heyward, Thomas, McCullers

I know a lot of you would get rid of Thomas but I think he has looked a lot better. I heard something about him having some off the field issues last year and he was new to the system. Not saying he should be starting but I am comfortable with him having a spot role now.

ILB (5) - Shazier, Timmons, Spence, Williams, Garvin

Duh.

OLB (5) - Harrison, Jones, Dupree, Moats, H. Jones

We need answers here bad from some of these guys. I go with Howard Jones over Chickillo because he flashes better and I think it is easier to teach up consistency than it is to find something special about a guy. Chickillo has been solid but doesn't peak like Jones does.

CB (6) - Gay, Allen, Grant, Blake, Boykin, Fogg

Like OLB I think this is another place we have to find answers so I keep the guys with promise. Webb may look better overall now but Fogg has that special knack for finding the ball and this defense desperately needs turnovers. Both guys will likely get beat in coverage so why not take the one more likely to make up for it with some INT's?

S (6) - Thomas, Mitchell, Allen, Golden, Ventrone, Dangerfield

This position is the most desperate. I don't know that I trust a single one of these guys. Never thought I would say this but Allen is probably our most reliable safety as we sit here today. The only thing to really add is that we should probably keep an eye on free agency for a solid veteran if one pops up.

ST (3) - Scobee, Berry, Warren

Only thing to say here is that I don't think it is a tough decision between Berry and Wing. Berry has out kicked the best we have seen from Wing. How exactly does that equate to a tough decision?
    Last edited by Cyphon25; 09-04-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

Re: My final 53

I agree with 95% of this. And, it's not that I don't agree with the other 5%, it's just that we're talking about fringe NFL talent and at that point, who knows?

I still prefer Chickillo to Jones. I think HoJo has a lower ceiling and would be exposed in pass coverage. He's like a wild horse - he's tough to contain but he's out of control at times. I think Chick is a smarter player and will give a consistent above-the-line performance week-to-week.

I don't see the point in listing Murphy as QB3. Either he is the 6th WR and we carry 2 QBs, or he is cut and we keep Landry Jones. Landry has shown enough progression to stay on the roster for another season. Personally, I'd roll with 2 QBs, sign Landry to the PS, and then keep either Chickillo or BW Webb on the 53.

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
    I still prefer Chickillo to Jones. I think HoJo has a lower ceiling and would be exposed in pass coverage. He's like a wild horse - he's tough to contain but he's out of control at times. I think Chick is a smarter player and will give a consistent above-the-line performance week-to-week.
    I don't really disagree with this assessment. Right now I just think we need the wild horse. This team has no passion, energy or splash. We need the guy who pisses us off with 3 penalties 1 week and gets 2 turnovers the next.

I don't see the point in listing Murphy as QB3. Either he is the 6th WR and we carry 2 QBs, or he is cut and we keep Landry Jones. Landry has shown enough progression to stay on the roster for another season. Personally, I'd roll with 2 QBs, sign Landry to the PS, and then keep either Chickillo or BW Webb on the 53.
    Yeah either way I give Murphy a roster spot so it doesn't matter where you list him. Putting him at QB3 was just to show that we have a backup option where it counts. Receiver isn't really a concern where as health of the QB has come into question many times. So I have a 3rd to appease the "Colbert" state of mind so to speak. I am fine with 2 QB's as well.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
    I agree with 95% of this. And, it's not that I don't agree with the other 5%, it's just that we're talking about fringe NFL talent and at that point, who knows?

I go with this. Chickillo has more upside than Jones, just like Fogg over Webb.

I think that we're going to see Landry on the roster no matter what. I can live with it for another year but they need to get rid of Archer and Harris now. No reason at all for either of them to be on the roster.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I go with this. Chickillo has more upside than Jones, just like Fogg over Webb.

I think that we're going to see Landry on the roster no matter what. I can live with it for another year but they need to get rid of Archer and Harris now. No reason at all for either of them to be on the roster.
    I agree 100%. I guess the question is who returns kicks? It's pathetic to think that Archer makes this team only because there is no one else capable of returning kicks currently on the 75 man roster. Aside from AB of course.

You know, in general, I'm a tad disappointed in how management/coaches handled this preseason. I don't think they did a good job of finding players who really had a chance to unseat the incumbents. Kenzell Doe for example had NO SHOT of making the team, so why bother bringing him in. Were they really trying to find someone to push Archer? There had to be someone on the street or on the roster that could have been given more chances to return kicks. Someone that actually has a chance to make the team. It's like they thought way back on July 25th - "well, Dri is our man at KR, so who can we bring in that we can cut later and won't make Dri look bad (worse)?"

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Wheaton can probably return kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Looked decent last year. Just goes back to the same worry with Brown. Do you want your top 2 receivers doing all of the ST duties?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    True. Hope he doesn't get hurt. Same with AB returning punts. I realize it's not that unusual, but to have your star receiver put into that situation because the FO/Coaches can't find anybody else to do the job is playing with fire. We're already down two offensive stars for the first 2 weeks.

It's crazy how difficult it has been to find anybody that is an above average KR/PR over the last few seasons.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

That's a nice breakdown; I agree with everything except for two ... first that we'll keep Chickillo over Jones for reasons everyone has stated already. Second, I don't think 5 defensive linemen will be enough to feel comfortable, especially with one of them being Cam Thomas. So we probably keep an extra guy there, most likely Walton, and drop the sixth safety (you only have five listed there anyway). My guess is they will probably drop Ventrone and keep Holliman, because some desperate lowlife team will probably grab Holliman if we try to put him on the practice squad. Also, wasn't Ventrone injured? Or am I just imagining that.

I really really really really WISH they would do the right thing and cut Jones and Archer, but they're so stubborn about those two guys that they'll probably keep both, and Murphy will pay the price for that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    That's a nice breakdown; I agree with everything except for two ... first that we'll keep Chickillo over Jones for reasons everyone has stated already. Second, I don't think 5 defensive linemen will be enough to feel comfortable, especially with one of them being Cam Thomas. So we probably keep an extra guy there, most likely Walton, and drop the sixth safety (you only have five listed there anyway). My guess is they will probably drop Ventrone and keep Holliman, because some desperate lowlife team will probably grab Holliman if we try to put him on the practice squad. Also, wasn't Ventrone injured? Or am I just imagining that.
    Thank you and thanks for pointing that out. Not sure why I got confused but Dangerfield was actually my 6th safety. For some reason I thought I didn't have room to add him but I guess I did.

And yes Ventrone was injured but he played last night and is a good special teamer. Keep in mind to that this is just what I would do, not what I think the team will do. I would keep Jones of Chickillo mostly because he flashes better and like I said above, I think you can start to get Jones becoming more consistent whereas the flash comes more naturally and Chickillo doesn't seem to have that.

I really really really really WISH they would do the right thing and cut Jones and Archer, but they're so stubborn about those two guys that they'll probably keep both, and Murphy will pay the price for that.
    I think mostly everyone feels the same way lol.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Any chance Howard is code for Jarvis?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

sorry but Landry Jones is going to be our 3rd QB, like it or not...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

very excited that chickillo made it.

Btw, chickillo doesnt peak like jones does? what does that even mean
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.