Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to say that Shamarko is our biggest question mark in the secondary?

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Is it safe to say that Shamarko is our biggest question mark in the secondary?

Not that he can "replace" Troy, but that can he play coverage?

I think the honest answer is: we don't know.

We can only hope - time will tell I guess

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Is it safe to say that Shamarko is our biggest question mark in the secondary?

The Magic 8-Ball reads, "Highly Unlikely"
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Is it safe to say that Shamarko is our biggest question mark in the secondary?

I guess we now know why LeBeau didn't use Shamarko for a single defensive play last year.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

I am assuming that is two 'yays' for the question mark

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I don't see why he should be anointed the starter. Just because we used several draft pick on him? If Colbert is going to shape this team to protect his ego - then we are in trouble.

Will Allen should start over shamarko.

i think there are several players: Archer, shamarko, Cortez Allen and Jarvis jones that are here because they were drafted by Colbert. But I think trying to develop them is hurting this team as it is preventing someone who may be better from playing. As a fan, I will root for them if they make the final roster but during this time when we can evaluate these players - i haven't seen much from these guys for me to enthusiastically support them.

I think they have to play him, we don't have any depth at all behind him, do we?

But we'll see if that 'aggresive' defense that has him playing at the LOS can hold up in passing situations with LB's & DE's playing behind him

I just want a safety actually playing deep for a change and not giving up the 60 yarders - is that too much to ask?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I think Mike Mitchell and Cortez Allen are just as big of question marks.

needless to say, I'm very worried about our secondary this season...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

In the 2013 draft, I wanted Matt Elam. Admittedly, that would have been a bad choice.

In the 2014 draft, I wanted Déone Bucannon. Shazier is probably going to be a superstar, but I probably would have been fine with Vince Williams (and Bucannon).

In the 2016 draft, I'll once again be focusing at the safeties.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

needless to say, I'm very worried about our secondary this season..
    i'll give you a point for that

and then I found this nugget

Tomlin said starters “won't play or have very limited participation” in Thursday night's preseason finale against Carolina at Heinz Field.

One of those who apparently won't play is free safety Mike Mitchell (ankle).

When asked that Mitchell and new safety partner Shamarko Thomas have had limited game reps together, Tomlin termed it “concerning,” but added,
    “I expect those guys to be above the line"

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz3kY7SGRz9

Will Allen has the experience but not the athleticism...Shamarko is good in run support but not in coverage...and Gerod Holiman is good in coverage but cant tackle.

Any chance we can do some "Captain Planet" shit and combine them into one person?
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Any chance Ryan Clark wants to give up his desk job and come back to the Steelers?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by TD's & Beer View Post
    Any chance Ryan Clark wants to give up his desk job and come back to the Steelers?
    with Polamalu.....

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

needless to say, I'm very worried about our secondary this season...
    They're question marks, but not nearly as big as question marks as Shamarko. Cortez proved to have some NFL capability in 12 and 13. Last year injuries followed by a crisis of confidence curtailed his season. But unless he's the football version of Steve Blass and emotionally and mentally he's shot, the chances are good that he'll redeem himself to some extent this year. He probably wont ever be as good as the Steelers hoped. Chances are he wont ever come close to living up to the contract he was given. Thus he might end up cut even if he's one of the best 53. But at the end of the day I do think he has some value as an NFL defensive back. Same with Mike Mitchell. While for the most part he was a disappointment last season, though I do think he had a couple decent games when paired with Will Allen. He proved in 13 he had genuine NFL worth.

Now consider Sharmko. The Steelers used a valuable draft pick on him and traded another. Last year he was mostly healthy. A second year player, first year under his belt. The Steelers had injury issues at both safety positions throughout the 14 season. And yet coach LeBeau didn't see fit to use him on so much as on one defensive play from scrimmage all season. That's virtually without precedent given the circumstances. The guy was a special teams whiz and proved he could tackle and hit. But Dick LeBeau, a guy who knows more about defense than all of us combined wouldn't put him on the field even at garbage time. My opinion is that coach LeBeau saw this guy has no ability to cover NFL receivers and /or learn NFL coverage schemes.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't know how else you can read it? Especially with what we've seen of him this year in preseason. As they say preseason games don't count, but that doesn't mean they don't matter. And from what I can see every time Shamrko is on the field someone is wide open in the middle of the Steelers defense. Even if it's not always his guy I think there's also compensation by the other db's where they might stray a little away from their coverage assignment to aid him for the anticipated open space he's going to provide. From what I've seen this guy is a disaster waiting to happen every time he's in the defensive huddle. Personally I think he should be cut.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

With the 64th pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select:
    Karl Joseph, SS, WVU.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Karl Joseph, SS, WVU.
    So you think the Steelers will be the worst team in the NFL?

The Patriots have no first round pick!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    So you think the Steelers will be the worst team in the NFL?

The Patriots have no first round pick!
    D'oh!!!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Allen is a bigger question mark IMO. He could be anywhere on the spectrum depending on where his head is, and I have no idea how to predict that. Shamarko hasn't been a question mark, he's been a solid "meh."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

As far as I can see, there are only 2 players that we know what to expect: Will Allen and William Gay. We know how they play and their limitations. Boykin seems a good pickup but we haven't seen him in a regular season game yet as a Steeler in this "new scheme".

I have no idea what to expect from the rest of the secondary.

The pass rush is the other big problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The pass rush is the other big problem.....
    yes - but this is a thread about Shamarko and the secondary

you get a demerit for trying to change the subject

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Shamarko is good in run support but not in coverage...

Wasn't he advertised as an "in the box" type of safety coming out of college?

Since we don't have much tape on him, I was looking at his college stuff again...and yep - there it is...you gotta see this

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I would say Shamarko is the biggest question mark.

We have seen Gay and Allen play, we know what we can reasonably expect from them.

Cortez Allen has shown that he can play in this league, and last season (hopefully) was an blip on the radar and he plays solid this year. But at least we have seen him and can predict what we will get from him good or bad.

There's plenty of tape on Mitchell and Boykin. I think if Mitchell is healthy he will be just fine. Boykin has the tools to at least play the slot if not on the outside also.

Shamarko, we know he can hit and play run support. We can tell you that just from his ST play. But nobody knows if he can cover. The coaches probably "know," but I don't think they're sure. I mean, not playing a single defensive snap last season says a lot about what LeBeau thought of him in coverage.

Holliman, if he makes the team, likely won't see the field outside of garbage time.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

If Thomas is really bad, I hope he will not be on the field in defense.If he can't play in coverage....OUT!

I do not want the defense be historically bad!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Karl Joseph, SS, WVU.
    1(31) Pittsburgh Steelers: Nate Andrews, S, Florida State

the Steelers want to see what they have in Michael Mitchell and Shamarko Thomas before pulling the trigger on a 1st round safety. now that they'll see it...

1(31) Pittsburgh Steelers: Nate Andrews, S, Florida State

the Steelers want to see what they have in Michael Mitchell and Shamarko Thomas before pulling the trigger on a 1st round safety. now that they'll see it...
    I haven't watched much of Nate Andrews (but, I assuredly will).

Karl Joseph, on the other hand, I have seen nearly kill a guy.

I haven't watched much of Nate Andrews (but, I assuredly will).

Karl Joseph, on the other hand, I have seen nearly kill a guy.
    yes, Karl Joseph is incredibly physical. Joseph is more of a SS while Andrews is more of a FS type so I say we draft them both...

yes, Karl Joseph is incredibly physical. Joseph is more of a SS while Andrews is more of a FS type so I say we draft them both...

"Incredibly physical" is an understatement.

Draft them both... hmmm... GREAT plan!!!

I knew you'd figure out a solution.

Draft them both... hmmm... GREAT plan!!!

I knew you'd figure out a solution.
    I'm not sold on Mike Mitchell or Shamarko Thomas as our starting safeties...

I'm not sold on Mike Mitchell or Shamarko Thomas as our starting safeties...
    Indeed.

Mitchell might possibly be better suited as a SS, thus necessitating the need to only draft one safety. That said, honestly, I think the dude lacks savvy.

Ex: The Titans TE jumps up to catch a ball towards the back of the end zone. Mitchell does NOT push the TE out of bounds, but instead WAITS for the TE to land... and then, Mitchell hits him. WTF!?!