Thread: Defense keeping things in perspective

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Defense keeping things in perspective

The Steelers defense continues to adjust and learn from their mistakes during the preseason.

The flaws on defense were obvious on the stat sheet and to the naked eye at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

But what transpired in Saturday afternoon’s 43-19 preseason loss to the Bills wasn’t enough for Steelers’ defenders to lose confidence or perspective.

“We’re not really looking for excuses but we have some new things going on that we’re trying to implement,” linebacker Vince Williams said. “We’re gonna jell. We’re gonna get better. Thank God this happened in the preseason, it still gives us time to eliminate some of those mistakes.

“A lot of this stuff is new. I think really we’re coming together, to be honest with you. That was just a bad game. I think when it’s all said and done we’re going to be pretty solid.”

Added safety Will Allen: “I think we’re on the right track. That’s what the preseason is for. We’re going against a different team, going against looks we haven’t seen. That’s what the preseason is for, to fine tune, make adjustments and learn from our mistakes.

“That’s what pro’s do.”

The Steelers hadn’t yet reviewed Saturday’s video when they met the media today.

Allen didn’t need a second look to dissect what transpired on Bills running back Fred Jackson’s cutback and 41-yard scamper to the Steelers’ 1-yard line on Buffalo’s first offensive snap.

“I take a side away,” Allen explained. “I took a side away and (cornerback) Will Gay got blocked and (Jackson) went around Will Gay. You hope that you can take one side away and somebody else can help you.

“That’s what happens sometimes. Sometimes players get blocked. Sometimes players get tripped up.”

The Bills’ second possession ended on a 67-yard touchdown pass to tight end Charles Clay over Williams and in front of safety Shamarko Thomas

“I take full responsibility for that,” Williams said. “I opened to the wrong side. The guy split the seam on the back side. I should have been over there.”

Added Thomas: “My fault, I gotta make the tackle. I can’t slip up on the play.

read more

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...6-a904ac8e0a57

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Defense keeping things in perspective

Well, it's gotta get better than what was witnessed this past Saturday. Right?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

We should pick up more FAs if the $ makes sense.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Well, it's gotta get better than what was witnessed this past Saturday. Right?
    Well, can it get worse?

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

I they may be selling themselves that they will fix everything, but it's not making me feel very secure. I sure hope they're right, but history tells me teams playing really bad D or O all PS long will probably be bad come regular season. I am not saying the wins or losses mean much, but horrid play with the starters is meaningful.

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    We should pick up more FAs if the $ makes sense.
    I'll climb aboard that train

We need to scour the waiver wire on defense

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TD's & Beer View Post
    I'll climb aboard that train

We need to scour the waiver wire on defense
    we are, they brought in Phil Taylor today so we're paying attention...