Thread: Titans waived/released C Fernando Velasco........ Do we snag him up now ?

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Question Titans waived/released C Fernando Velasco........ Do we snag him up now ?

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/...rnando-velasco

Latest News

Recent News

Titans waived/released C Fernando Velasco, LB Nate Askew, CB Will Brown, LB Dezmond Johnson, WR Tebucky Jones, WR Deon Long, DE Derrick Lott, OG Justin McCray, K Mike Meyer, and OLB Chaz Sutton.

Signed in June, Velasco never came close to putting heat on starting C Brian Schwenke, and also didn't threaten for ousted LG Andy Levitre's open job. Aug 30 - 3:34 PM
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Titans waived/released C Fernando Velasco........ Do we snag him up now ?

He needs a job. We need a center and he's proven to be a capable starter. He knows the system. He is familiar w/Ben. Yeah, he got injured but I'd rather go with him and Goose back him up. Problem is, we already signed the Big Legursky.

He'll get snatched up if we don't sign him.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers won't sign him.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salamander View Post
    Steelers won't sign him.
    Why not ?
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

We should. He and Legs are both proven players and are certainly better than the backups that we currently have at G. If I'm remembering correctly, they both can play G also.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

If we hadn't just signed Legursky I'd be more for it, but more depth is always a nice thing.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It's still preseason. Might as well sign him and take the better of him and Legursky. It doesn't cost us anything.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Banned Array title="B&GFever will become famous soon enough">

remember it was Munchak who cut him to enable him to ever see the Burgh .

so doubt Mike would want him back now

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I don't think Fernando would be resigned because we already have enough depth with the offensive line and a serviceable backup (Cody) who can start. Plus, Pouncey should be back sometime in December.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He would strictly be a Center...which is kind of what the Steelers need...but would the Steelers be willing to cut Legursky or Wallace to go with "Just a Center?" The do like their versatile linemen...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He would strictly be a Center...which is kind of what the Steelers need...but would the Steelers be willing to cut Legursky or Wallace to go with "Just a Center?" The do like their versatile linemen...
    Good question. I would say the Steelers do not sign him. I said a few years ago when he was with Pittsburgh, and doing a great job, that they should sign him long term and move Pouncy to guard. I know, Pouncy is/was/might still be a pro bowl C but I was thinking about the overall quality of the O line. I really thought at the time that V could anchor the center position, and Pouncy could anchor either of the guard positions, and probably still make the Pro Bowl.

That was a few year ago, we will see what happens now.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Titans waived/released C Fernando Velasco........ Do we snag him up now ?

Quote Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
    Good question. I would say the Steelers do not sign him. I said a few years ago when he was with Pittsburgh, and doing a great job, that they should sign him long term and move Pouncy to guard. I know, Pouncy is/was/might still be a pro bowl C but I was thinking about the overall quality of the O line. I really thought at the time that V could anchor the center position, and Pouncy could anchor either of the guard positions, and probably still make the Pro Bowl.

That was a few year ago, we will see what happens now.
    I was on board with that plan at the time. My feeling is they should at the very least bring him in over Legursky.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I was on board with that plan at the time. My feeling is they should at the very least bring him in over Legursky.
    Unless his play has deteriorated.

Let them fight it out.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

I'm good with that...

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

we should grab him up....but we never do things i want so i don't think it'll happen

Maybe you should start taking the rest of us and the team into consideration and stop being so selfish...start thinking opposite...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Pointless to sign him now. Who would they release?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    The entire defense, lol, not like they are doing anything out there anyway except giving 50+ yd plays every game!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

James C Wexell retweeted
    Greg Arias ‏@TNFBScout

Somewhat surprised by the release of Velasco this early. Thought he might be gone but in last cut. #Titans

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Sign him. We need depth at C and Velasco played well with us two years ago.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Pass. Wallace and Legs should be enough depth at center and the interior. I would rather we keep Villaneuva or another O lineman that has impressed in TC and the preseason.

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    He needs a job. We need a center and he's proven to be a capable starter. He knows the system
    I agree, but, make it a one week competition.

It's a starting center we need, not a career back-up guard like Legursky, so, bring him in, let them battle it out

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post

Have we not been over the fact that Landry Jones is neck-and-neck with the E.T. game from Atari in the competition for what sucks the worst of all-time?
    See you Space Cowboy ...