Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steeler fans protest Vick, not going to games

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Steeler fans protest VIck, not going to games

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Senior Member Array title="CapLovesTroyP43 is a jewel in the rough"> CapLovesTroyP43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B&GFever View Post
    if only people would take such strong stances against abortion , gay marriage or planned parenthood selling baby parts .

animals should never supersede Humans as humans where made in Gods image not monkeys , cats , dogs or mice for good reason we are the planets supreme rulers yet so many are bleeding hearts over them instead of US
    There fixed that one for you but I sure do agree to a point about the abortion, gay marriage and planned parenthood. I bet you Ovomit is LOVING every minute of it.

"BIG MEN AND BIG BLADES OF GRASS"

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B&GFever View Post
    The era of " the Rooney way " passed long ago when Free Agency came into play

The game was no longer about drafting your Lunch Pal mentality hard working , humble but hungry young men who was brought up with morals and a value system that was as American as Apple pie .

the game became more of a Business then and with any good Business model you have to have the best possible employees (players) to utilize your business plan with .
    Evidently. The problem is that while I can root for "the Rooney way", I cannot work up enough 'give a damn' to root for a "business model". Perhaps the league has passed me by and I'm just a relic from a bygone era, but I can't imagine why anyone would care about the fortunes of a "business" that doesn't benefit them.

Anywho, thanks for the kind words.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Count,
    I suppose it's because I'm not a fan of the NFL in general. I do not identify with the NFL. I identify with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Maybe that's just a thing that applies to my generation and it sounds weird to folks who aren't in my generation.
    I watched all the games we played against Dallas when they were the "work release" franchise. I watched all the games against shady teams and rooted for our team because I always believed that we were the "good guys".
    If NFL football is merely just various groups of scumbags duking it out for supremacy, then there's no reason for me to differentiate one uniform or team from another. I don't particularly care who wins or why.
    TL;DR:
    I can back the Steelers when they are the "Rooney Class" team. I can't support them when they're just another random gang of thugs and miscreants who "win at all costs" and just happen to wear the black and gold. It would be easier if I could, but I can't.
    It pains me, because I don't know how to not be a Steeler fan. I've never been anything else. But I can't bring myself to support this. I will take a stand and let them know that (as Tomlin would say) this is below the line. I would rather go 0-16 this season than have Vick soiling my beloved black 'n' gold.

That's just me, though. You folks do what you like.

Best,
    -Slashy
    That Rooney holier than thou shit went out the door loooooooong ago.

You got Ben and his numerous troubles. Harrison and his troubles. leVeon Bell, Maurkice Pouncey and his thug life, Martavis Bryant, LeGarrette Blount, Santonio Holmes...the list goes on and on...

It's the way of the NFL now. They all smoke weed...if they don't, there's something wrong with them...or they're lying...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That Rooney holier than thou shit went out the door loooooooong ago.

You got Ben and his numerous troubles. Harrison and his troubles. leVeon Bell, Maurkice Pouncey and his thug life, Martavis Bryant, LeGarrette Blount, Santonio Holmes...the list goes on and on...

It's the way of the NFL now. They all smoke weed...if they don't, there's something wrong with them...or they're lying...lol.
    So why not just be Patriots fans instead? That holier- than- thou "we don't cheat" shit went out the window long ago. Why not? Belichick wins games and that's ultimately what's important, right? Why not just put the Patriots in black 'n' gold and pretend that they're the Steelers? For that matter, why even bother changing the colors? Why not just go ahead and root for the red white and blue? What significance does the color make?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    "My husband bought season tix, but my seats will remain empty!"

Fixed it for ya. Also is it just me or does she look a little methy?
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

the man made a mistake paid his due to society has proven to have reformed himself. I love dogs have 3 bothers me a bit, but im sure the rooneys did there homework and i trust them

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I have always stuck by Ben and I will do the same now for Vic. The organization may not be as pure as the 1st fallen snow, but tell me what other team has cut a Super Bowl MVP for smoking dope??? for a 5th round pick at that???

I'll say this much for Vic, he stood up and admitted he did wrong. He was not there when the bust went down and could have easily put the blame on his brother and everyone else who was in the house. He took the blame and he did his time that speaks volumes when you compare him to Shady brady and the sleezy deflatriots, yet he is the one that so many protest and despise. If nothing else at least he took it like a man.

I remember when Vic 1st came out of college he held a press conference in the boys club in Newport news and would not leak the story ahead of time because he wanted to give back to his community. I thought that was a pretty classy move on his part.

It's to bad that some here are losing their faith in the team and the organization, hopefully they will reconsider. I feel this team and the city will weather the storm and it will be a good year to be a fan.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

I think this is classy -- Art Rooney stops and talks to the Vick protesters when leaving facility.

All 9 of them.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib
    No. 8.

Actually 6 adults and 2 children.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    the man made a mistake paid his due to society has proven to have reformed himself. I love dogs have 3 bothers me a bit, but im sure the rooneys did there homework and i trust them
    x2.

Haters don't know how to do anything but hate. Without hate, they have nothing. Sorry souls they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I'll say this much for Vic, he stood up and admitted he did wrong. He was not there when the bust went down and could have easily put the blame on his brother and everyone else who was in the house.

He took the blame and he did his time that speaks volumes when you compare him to Shady brady and the sleezy deflatriots, yet he is the one that so many protest and despise. If nothing else at least he took it like a man.
    Too bad Cris Carter wasn't around for his Rookie emporium to tell how about having a "FALL GUY".

According to Cris Carter, all Vick's troubles never would have happened had he had a FALL GUY.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Too bad Cris Carter wasn't around for his Rookie emporium to tell how about having a "FALL GUY".

According to Cris Carter, all Vick's troubles never would have happened had he had a FALL GUY.

Funny thing, I remember at the time reading that Vick had a guy who he paid to be the one carrying the weed through airport security and that guy (maybe more than one different guy) got busted for it a few times. And at first his friends were going to take the complete fall for the dog thing too. But if you get yourself in shit THAT deep, I guess even that doesn't help.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

So why not just be Patriots fans instead? That holier- than- thou "we don't cheat" shit went out the window long ago. Why not? Belichick wins games and that's ultimately what's important, right? Why not just put the Patriots in black 'n' gold and pretend that they're the Steelers? For that matter, why even bother changing the colors? Why not just go ahead and root for the red white and blue? What significance does the color make?
    I don't think you're any less of a fan. Being a Steeler is supposed to mean something. Why not go out and sign Ray Rice since we need depth at running back, or bring in Leonard Little since we need some help on the defensive line. At some point, we're just rooting for laundry.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'd trade Tomlin for Belicheat every day...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I don't think you're any less of a fan. Being a Steeler is supposed to mean something. Why not go out and sign Ray Rice since we need depth at running back, or bring in Leonard Little since we need some help on the defensive line. At some point, we're just rooting for laundry.
    Jerry Seinfeld.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

All of those `issues` are off the field. What the Pats are doing is on the field. Big difference there.
    “I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!” - Jack Lambert

Not if you ask patriots fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    All of those `issues` are off the field. What the Pats are doing is on the field. Big difference there.
    It's not a big difference to me. I'm pretty sure there is *some* point for every member on this board where they say "Yeah... no. I can't go along with this". Maybe it's a convicted child molester or serial killer in your case, but it's something.
    This happens to be my cutoff point. A Pimp Named Slickback can't cosign on this.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

It's not a big difference to me. I'm pretty sure there is *some* point for every member on this board where they say "Yeah... no. I can't go along with this". Maybe it's a convicted child molester or serial killer in your case, but it's something.
    This happens to be my cutoff point. A Pimp Named Slickback can't cosign on this.
    I don't think it is fair to lump all the dissenting fans in one category.

I don't think this is a knee jerk reaction by you and I respect your stand. I have a differing view, but I am in no means going to try and convince you to see it my way.

I also understand the meaning of your logo.

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I have always stuck by Ben and I will do the same now for Vic. The organization may not be as pure as the 1st fallen snow, but tell me what other team has cut a Super Bowl MVP for smoking dope??? for a 5th round pick at that???

I'll say this much for Vic, he stood up and admitted he did wrong. He was not there when the bust went down and could have easily put the blame on his brother and everyone else who was in the house. He took the blame and he did his time that speaks volumes when you compare him to Shady brady and the sleezy deflatriots, yet he is the one that so many protest and despise. If nothing else at least he took it like a man.

I remember when Vic 1st came out of college he held a press conference in the boys club in Newport news and would not leak the story ahead of time because he wanted to give back to his community. I thought that was a pretty classy move on his part.

It's to bad that some here are losing their faith in the team and the organization, hopefully they will reconsider. I feel this team and the city will weather the storm and it will be a good year to be a fan.
    Revisionist's history. Vick did NOT admit blame and take accountability. He pleaded innocent. Gave all kinds of excuses and tried to lie his way out of it. Now you are changing the story to Vick manning up and coming clean for this? Not until he was found guilty in court and served 18 months in prison. And like this lady said, anyone who could EVER do such heinous acts to dogs doesn't have the ability to actually, truly become sincerely enlightened. He just says the right stuff now and obviously won't go back to killing dogs at this point. He was coached up on what to do and how to act.

All that being said, I don't have a problem with the signing, personally. I am pretty sure he isn't going to start another dog fighting ring. But I respect the right of others to not forgive him. My bigger concern is that if he does play, he seems to get a concussion if someone breathes on him, and drops the ball if he is touched. But he is better than Jones..........but everyone is. Every back up I have seen play this preseason looks better than Jones. Even rookies. That is really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    I don't think it is fair to lump all the dissenting fans in one category.

I don't think this is a knee jerk reaction by you and I respect your stand. I have a differing view, but I am in no means going to try and convince you to see it my way.

I also understand the meaning of your logo.
    Thanks Count! You're awesome as always!
    Likewise, I understand completely that not everybody's going to feel as strongly about this or take the same view. I'm not going to try to convince anybody else to join me.

Best,
    -Slashy

Member Array title="dduc996 is an unknown quantity at this point"> dduc996's Avatar

A lot of women kill there own babies and yet we still love our women. Why are Vicks dogs valued higher ?

PLAY BALL !!!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I respect your stance Slash. And I wont try to talk you out of it. But I will tell you why I'm not with you on this. Because while what Vick did was reprehensible he did in fact pay his debt to society. He didn't try to pull a shady -Brady and out-maneuver or manipulate the system. He lost a lot. He probably paid a steeper price than anyone ever has for that particular crime. And afterwards he paid off all of his creditors in full. Unlike many who declare bankruptcy who end up paying as little as 10 cents on a dollar Vick paid his debts in full.

Joseph Luzinski, a senior vice president at Development Specialists Inc., a management consultancy firm and the liquidating trustee in Vick’s case, told ESPN that Vick has paid off more than $15 million of the $17.8 million he owed.
    “What Michael did was the exception, not the rule,” Luzinski said. “He didn’t have to do this. The law allows you to skate by and pay your creditors 10 or 20 cents on the dollar, but he thought this was the right thing to do.”
    Vick told ESPN he could have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which would have forgiven most of his debt. Instead, he wanted to pay people back.
    “I didn’t want to stiff people who never stiffed me,” Vick told ESPN

http://nypost.com/2014/12/17/michael...m-debt-report/

Everything this man has done since getting out of jail speaks of someone who not only paid their debt to society but came out the other end a better person. I have no problem with the Steelers signing this man.

But again I respect your right to see it differently.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Junior Member Array title="SteelFever is an unknown quantity at this point"> SteelFever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    Apparently the Animal Rescue League as well as the NFL itself does not agree with Rooney"s decision, and they are taking action.

Animal Rescue league was supposed to have a fund raiser at Heinz Field but have now moved it to the Consol Energy Center, because of the signing.

Not only that but the NFL has now taken action as well, because of his being in the league again reflects on the entire NFL.

They have announced that they will no longer accept any Steelers merchandise or memorabilia in their auctions at this or any other function.

This is the explanation given by the NFL:

The league said it is "disheartened" by the Steelers' decision to sign Vick, who served time in federal prison for his involvement in an interstate dogfighting ring and decided to move the venue after internal discussions.

"While we understand that Mr. Vick has made an effort to atone for his past mistakes and has worked to help strengthen animal abuse laws, we do not believe that it is appropriate for him to continue a high-profile and influential public career," the release states.

"Our hope is that the very public discourse taking place across Steeler Nation this week raises awareness of the brutality and inhumanity of dog fighting. With increased community knowledge of the issue, we can all play a role in helping to end dog fighting once and for all."

You can read about it on the Post Gazette:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201508270232

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFever View Post
    Apparently the Animal Rescue League as well as the NFL itself does not agree with Rooney"s decision, and they are taking action.

Animal Rescue league was supposed to have a fund raiser at Heinz Field but have now moved it to the Consol Energy Center, because of the signing.

Not only that but the NFL has now taken action as well, because of his being in the league again reflects on the entire NFL.

They have announced that they will no longer accept any Steelers merchandise or memorabilia in their auctions at this or any other function.

The league said it is "disheartened" by the Steelers' decision to sign Vick, who served time in federal prison for his involvement in an interstate dogfighting ring and decided to move the venue after internal discussions.

"While we understand that Mr. Vick has made an effort to atone for his past mistakes and has worked to help strengthen animal abuse laws, we do not believe that it is appropriate for him to continue a high-profile and influential public career," the release states.

"Our hope is that the very public discourse taking place across Steeler Nation this week raises awareness of the brutality and inhumanity of dog fighting. With increased community knowledge of the issue, we can all play a role in helping to end dog fighting once and for all."

The NFL made no such statement. The league quoted was the Animal Rescue league. The NFL is fully supportive of Mike Vick. Roger Goodell is on record saying as much.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It's not the NFL that said that. When they say "The league" halfway through the story, they're still referring to the Animal Rescue League, not the NFL.

If the NFL came out and said something like that over the signing of a player, the lawsuits and union grievances would be flying a millisecond after they hit the send key.

I also have more than a little problem where they say "we do not believe that it is appropriate for him to continue a high-profile and influential public career." Like - who the fuck are you to tell people they're not allowed to make a living? I've got more respect for Vick than for people who get their kicks out of trolling someone for a decade.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-michael-vick/
    I’ll be happy to talk about the general views toward Michael,” Goodell said. “I think Michael is a young man who made a tragic mistake. He paid a very heavy price for it. But I’ve seen him, in everything he’s done, exceed expectations. He has worked very hard to be a positive force in a lot of different areas. And I think that’s something I admire about him. When we went through the process of reviewing whether he would enter back into the league, he demonstrated he’s somebody who’s committed to saying, ‘I’m going to do this the right way. I’m going to be a positive force.’ And he has. I’m proud of the work he’s done.”

Junior Member Array title="SteelFever is an unknown quantity at this point"> SteelFever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    The NFL made no such statement. The league quoted was the Animal Rescue league. The NFL is fully supportive of Mike Vick. Roger Goodell is on record saying as much.
    Okay, I miss-understood what they meant by "The League", however I am sure the NFL cannot be happy about reopening this hornets nest of bad publicity for the NFL, with all the other things going on at this time.

Okay, I miss-understood what they meant by "The League", however I am sure the NFL cannot be happy about reopening this hornets nest of bad publicity for the NFL, with all the other things going on at this time.
    The league is fine with Vick. And 20,000 attention seeking- agenda driven mostly non Steeler and or football "fans" don't concern them in the slightest. Of the 20,000 I would wager you 19,990 couldn't tell you who Ramon Foster is.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Just about every team has players that have had or is having off the field issues and, that is a fact. At the end of the day teams sign players they think that will help the team. This is not the all choir boy league and, sure there plenty of players that I don't care for as well. I'm a animal lover and, no I don't like what Vick did. Again at some point you have move on but, I respect anyone who just can't get past of having him on the Steelers. I still think he has changed and, look what he lost? Just about everything.. If you want to root for a good person root for Tebow. My wife loves that guy sorry for going off topic.

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It's not the NFL that said that. When they say "The league" halfway through the story, they're still referring to the Animal Rescue League, not the NFL.

If the NFL came out and said something like that over the signing of a player, the lawsuits and union grievances would be flying a millisecond after they hit the send key.

I also have more than a little problem where they say "we do not believe that it is appropriate for him to continue a high-profile and influential public career." Like - who the fuck are you to tell people they're not allowed to make a living? I've got more respect for Vick than for people who get their kicks out of trolling someone for a decade.
    I didn't think so. Why would the NFL allow him back in the league only to back track like that? Made no sense.

Junior Member Array title="Mamaduck43 has a brilliant future">

I am pro-Vick signing... I don't like what he did - - but, he has already paid a huge price and faces consequences every day - - his earning power was destroyed, his reputation was shot, he served time, he has done an abundance of community service projects, and he ran the gauntlet to get back to playing ball - - a game he loves, and has an amount of skill playing... Granted, he probably would have problems finding a job just about anywhere else... The fact that he persevered, shows that he has a lot of qualities that we should accept gladly because they are Steelers qualities....

Steelers fans are unique - - when we have a bad game or a bad day, I absolutely hate coming in here because we are beating each other over the head and are asking for the heads of the coaches, the players and whoever doesn't meet the standard of the day.... We talk about fan bases from other teams getting down on us.... Hell, they are usually kinder and more well-mannered that we are to each other..... We have dealt with bad boys here and there, but the Powers that be, have a pretty good track record - - and I think that they have used the 'straighten up and fly right' solution several times in the last few years to either say bye-bye, or to welcome some back with open arms.... I just wish our people weren't so damn vocal and so visible - - I don't remember this uproar with the Eagles, nor the Jets.... I am wearing my colors proudly, but I think that the past couple of days has dropped the Steelers a few notches in the amount of respect we have always had... And this is not because we signed Vick - - it is because a bunch of people are acting like jerks....

If you don't want to be a Steelers fan, then bye-bye... No need to call attention to your actions by broadcasting them to the world.... Burn your shirts - - and don't expect to be welcomed back with open arms when we are heading to a February game this season and all the wagons are filled with band members who have been here through the whole season and through alot of the bad years..... In my 72 years, I do remember wearing Steelers colors when we had a few 0-12 seasons.... Not fun, but they are my team....