Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Steeler fans protest Vick, not going to games

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steeler fans protest Vick, not going to games

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Now I been sayin' that shit for years...and if you heard it, that meant your ass...
    It could mean you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish.

I'd like that... but,
    that shit ain't the truth.

The truth is, you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.

Re: Steeler fans protest VIck, not going to games

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Oh for the Love of Pete. You misread his post and reacted. @Edman said "Embarrassed" the team twice, that Ben put himself in those situations. No one can argue that putting yourself in a situation, twice, where you can be accused of rape is a good thing. The discussion is about what it takes to be a Steelers player, and that is based, at least here, on what we perceive as reputation. The comparison is very fair on that front, as they both drew a ton of negative press and perceptions for whatever actions they committed.
    I respectfully disagree that the comparison is NOT the same. As far as players "embarrassing" their teams, there's too many to count out there, even the Steelers. (latest: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...es-without-pay)

Vick just didn't embarrass his team, Vick was charged and sentenced and did time. Trucks and cars, trucks and cars my friend, and if you don't agree with that, start the litany of names of Steelers who have embarrassed our team along with #7 and compare them to Vick as well.

As for me, he paid his dues and we need Vick. Its a year. Hopefully we won't need him and Ben will stay healthy.
    Last edited by Pittsburgher; 09-01-2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: provided a link

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It could mean you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish.

I'd like that... but,

But I'm trying, Ringo...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgher View Post
    I respectfully disagree that the comparison is NOT the same. As far as players "embarrassing" their teams, there's too many to count out there, even the Steelers. (latest: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...es-without-pay)

Vick just didn't embarrass his team, Vick was charged and sentenced and did time. Trucks and cars, trucks and cars my friend, and if you don't agree with that, start the litany of names of Steelers who have embarrassed our team along with #7 and compare them to Vick as well.

As for me, he paid his dues and we need Vick. Its a year. Hopefully we won't need him and Ben will stay healthy.
    I'm pretty sure Craic was simply addressing the poster who misinterpreted the EDMAN post. And I share Craic's interpretation. And you're not wrong either about the differences between Ben's actions and Vick's, Pittsburgher. I don't think Craic was denying those differences. He said that the comparison is apt in a very specific context (negative press, perception by the public as being near the top of the list as "most hated players in sports" and that kind of thing).

Now that I clarified the context of Craic's comments, maybe someone else will be nice enough to clarify mine.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Now that I clarified the context of Craic's comments, maybe someone else will be nice enough to clarify mine.
    having re-read your post a couple of times, I think you said the following:

1) Landry Jones clearly should start over Ben.
    2) Jarvis Jones will get double-digit sacks this year.
    3) we're going to shut out the Patriots* in the season opener.
    4) Tomlin is an overpaid janitor who only was hired because of the Rooney Rule.
    5) Haley's an ex-golf coach who only got the job because of who his Daddy is.
    6) FIRE Butler!
    7) Cam Thomas is our best defensive lineman.
    8) Heath Miller is obviously the only who supplies Martavis Bryant with his weed.
    9) you like the job Roger Goodell has been doing.
    10) and finally, you challenged James Harrison to a fistfight.

that pretty much summarizes it, don't you think?

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

I guess I should get my full thoughts on paper about this whole thing:

About boycotting/protesting

I don't really understand this in almost any form because it rarely ever accomplishes anything but I especially don't understand it in regards to the Steelers. We have had players do dumb shit in our past and people like to act like we are the golden team of the NFL (when really we are the black and golden team of the NFL ). Anyway, he is a backup qb that is likely to never see the field so why should that interfere with anyones joy of the game? Would Vick make it any less fun to watch Antonio Brown kick a punter in the face? Would Vick make it any less fun to watch Ben lead a game winning drive? Hell no. So there is no point to this. I will never really get it.

About dog fighting/past

I own a German Shepherd and love the dog more than most people I know. If anyone harmed him I would hunt them down and shoot them. That isn't a boast, just a fact. I own guns and would do everything in my power to destroy them. That being said, I think what Vick did has to come from a very dark and degraded place in a human being. It isn't an accident or mistake. It is a thing of psychos and serial killers. I believe it is pretty common knowledge that serial killers often have a past of torturing animals and what not. So while in some ways I can forgive what Vick has done and accept that he is trying to be a better person, I am not really sure there is any true forgiveness for doing something so despicable. Especially considering he did it as a fully functioning adult in society. He isn't insane, mentally retarded, fallen on hard times etc...There is more or less not a single more loyal thing around than a dog is to it's owner. So to take that trust and destroy it is essentially as bad as crimes against children.

Anyway I am rambling a bit. Point is, I am not sure I can fully buy that he is truly a better person because it doesn't seem like a trait you simply move past. However, that is kind of irrelevant since actions speak louder than thoughts or words. So long as he isn't fighting dogs and is at least on the outside doing everything right who does it hurt?

About him as a player

I think I said it already but he is basically the best option of a bad group. I have never considered Vick more than an average QB. He has one of the best arms in the NFL and is still one of the most athletic QB's but he is injury prone and turnover prone and you don't want that at QB. Especially when they are your last hope before Landry Jones sees the field. So even if he is the best option talent wise, I would almost rather someone a little less talented but maybe a little safer with the ball. Not sure if there is someone on the available list but there you have it.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

1) Landry Jones clearly should start over Ben Tate.
    2) Jarvis Jones will get double-digit hurries this year.
    4) Tomlin is an overpaid sidelinestepping janitor who only was hired because of the HocusPocus Rule.
    5) Haley's an ex-golf coach/furniture vandalizer and only got the job because of who his Daddy is.
    6) FIRE Butler!
    7) Cam Thomas is our best defensive lineman with a dirty winkie.
    8) Heath Miller is obviously the only who supplies Martavis Bryant with his weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.
    10) and finally, you challenged James Harrison to a fistfight for a participation medal.

Fixed.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Vick looks like an excellent pick up at this point.
    Absolutely.

Love the pick.

I'll let God and the self righteous, vindictive, hyper opinionated and hateful know it alls sort out the rest.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

yes - good Lord, get over it

He's our back-up QB. Period.

Go Steelers...may we never have to use him

Can I get an Amen?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TD's & Beer View Post
    yes - good Lord, get over it

He's our back-up QB. Period.

Go Steelers...may we never have to use him

Can I get an Amen?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

But I'm trying, Ringo...
    Yo, Mista Carter, we should, you know, we should like go.

That's a good idea... and, why do you keep calling me that!?!

1) Landry Jones clearly should start over Ben.
    2) Jarvis Jones will get double-digit sacks this year.
    4) Tomlin is an overpaid janitor who only was hired because of the Rooney Rule.
    5) Haley's an ex-golf coach who only got the job because of who his Daddy is.
    6) FIRE Butler!
    7) Cam Thomas is our best defensive lineman.
    8) Heath Miller is obviously the only who supplies Martavis Bryant with his weed.
    10) and finally, you challenged James Harrison to a fistfight.

You're way off. I challenged James Harrison to a squat-press contest AND THEN the fist fight. How was that not clear in my last post? Spot on with the rest of your list though. You should work at the U.N. as an interpreter. Then after you cause WW III, we could go get a couple beers that weren't too radioactive and discuss it all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I'd like that... but,

If you give him your wallet, I'm shooting them on general principle.

Vince, shut the %$#@ up!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Vick protesters need to get over themselves. I got dogs next door that bark like wild banshees on Sunday mornings. If I could get away with it they would disappear.
    All Defense!

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by dduc996 View Post
    Haters always refer to the Old Testament to justify there hate.
    Learn it before you use it. Lol
    You either believe in the bible or you don't. You can't pick and choose what you think are truths and disregard the rest. If the bible is the "word of God" then it must all be. You can't be all "Oh, that's the Old Testament, that doesn't count." That is intellectually dishonest and what you would call cheating.

- - - Updated - - -

Vick protesters need to get over themselves. I got dogs next door that bark like wild banshees on Sunday mornings. If I could get away with it they would disappear.
    So which Vick method would you use? Would you electrocute them, hang them or drown them?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

You forgot about going full jihad and chopping their heads off.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

You could always call a guy.

If you give him your wallet, I'm shooting them on general principle.

Vince, shut the %$#@ up!
    You're the one that I want; you are the one girl... woo-woo-woo!!!

Oh wait... wrong movie.

You forgot about going full jihad and chopping their heads off.
    then afterwards call Winston the Wolf...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

then afterwards call Winston the Wolf...
    Or Viktor the "Cleaner" (I know it's a Pulp Fiction theme in this thread but same actor, same type of cleanup guy and Bridget Fonda was in Jackie Brown!)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think some fans should start a protest that the Steelers are keeping Landry Jones on the roster. It's just as legit...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="vindrow is on a distinguished road"> vindrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think some fans should start a protest that the Steelers are keeping Landry Jones on the roster. It's just as legit...
    I would be on the front lines with this one.

Landry Jones may play like a dog, but he hasn't killed any...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    You could always call a guy.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Landry Jones may play like a dog, but he hasn't killed any...
    Have you watched his play? It's debatable...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Have you watched his play? It's debatable...lol.
    I'm not sure if killing a dog on the practice field sideline, when he's actually trying to hit a wide open AB, tells us much about him that we didn't already know.

I'm pretty sure Vick mostly killed dogs on purpose. But given how he used to throw when he was on the Falcons, I wouldn't be too shocked if Vick killed a couple by accident too. He did have a really strong throwing arm with inconsistent aim. That might have made it reckless endangerment or something.

I think that poses an interesting question. Aside from our one fan here who has moral principles, like for real, would any of you guys take Jones over Vick as our #2? At this point I think I'd take Charles Manson over Landry Jones.

- - - Updated - - -

There are also some mass shooters in custody who have proven that they have better aim than Landry Jones. (I know, bad taste. But I can't resist the low hanging fruit even if it's rotten fruit)

At this point I think I'd take Charles Manson over Landry Jones.
    if Charles Manson played for the Steelers, in order to get the crowd pumped up we could play "Helter Skelter" instead of "Renegade"...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

There are also some mass shooters in custody who have proven that they have better aim than Landry Jones. (I know, bad taste. But I can't resist the low hanging fruit even if it's rotten fruit)
    Bad taste, hell! That's funny

-Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

if Charles Manson played for the Steelers, in order to get the crowd pumped up we could play "Helter Skelter" instead of "Renegade"...
    Speaking of which, am I the only one who sees the irony of people getting all wrapped up in whatever a degenerate like Snoop Dogg has to say about the Steelers, just because he's a celebrity?

If I never have to see another news article about that clown pontificating about Haley or anything else related to the Steelers, or someone creaming themselves because they spotted him somewhere wearing a Steelers jacket or whatever, it will be too soon.

Junior Member Array title="SteelFever is an unknown quantity at this point"> SteelFever's Avatar

I think that poses an interesting question. Aside from our one fan here who has moral principles, like for real, would any of you guys take Jones over Vick as our #2? At this point I think I'd take Charles Manson over Landry Jones.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you watch the Carolina debacle? Vick and Landry each played a half, Vick through for 24 yards, Landry for 147 and went 9/11. I wanted Landry gone also but he has been improving and so far has outplayed the dog torturer. The only points scored were when Landry Jones was playing. I would take Landry Jones over Vick any day, if we end up needing to use our back up quarterback because of injury to Ben, the season would be a total loss anyway.