Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chickillo looking pretty good

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Chickillo looking pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
    My bad. Logic and my wife have no place in what I want to happen either.

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

No argument from me. I get tired of the conventional "wisdom" that often dictates these decisions. Screw a 3rd QB. Screw the guy who is a "special teams beast." The special teams guy is generally a guy that is so limited that he will never have a true position - Ventrone & Garvin for example. Throw Landry Jones & Ventrone out and give guys like Chick and Wild or Darby the opportunity to play. Isn't the idea to find guys in the draft that can become long-time starters? Why we continue to throw guys like Nick Williams and potentially Chickillo into the waiver pool, yet keep marginal NFL players like Ventrone & Landry Jones, is mind-boggling.

But, then again, I've never gotten a paycheck with the NFL logo on it, so what do I know?
    Wait, are you referring to Archer as a special teams beast?
    Hater = Realist

Nope. Ventrone and Garvin are typically referred to in that way. And they may be, but I hate giving up potential future starters for a limited special teams-only player today.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I don't think that Landry or Dri deserve a roster spot. Neither has what it takes to be a good player in the NFL.

Archer doesn't have the ability to see the holes in front of him or the elusiveness to get away from tacklers. All that I see is the Steelers continuing to force feed him the ball, hoping that one day he'll break one.

I'd rather have both roster spots taken by players that will actually help us this year.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If they let him walk because Landry or Archer stays on the roster over him...it'll be another stubborn, dumb mistake by the front office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    .......and for a very long time.
    Unless he's injury prone.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If they let him walk because Landry or Archer stays on the roster over him...it'll be another stubborn, dumb mistake by the front office.
    But, but, but the FO never makes mistakes : )
    Hater = Realist

I don't mean to bump this thread, but I figure it's the best place to ask. Did Chickillo play at all vs the Bills?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I don't mean to bump this thread, but I figure it's the best place to ask. Did Chickillo play at all vs the Bills?
    I saw him on the field in the 4th quarter but didn't notice him doing anything noteworthy but then again nobody on defense did.

It's going to be interesting to see how these cuts go. Nothing of note from Chickillo, Wild, or Darby.

Harris looked rough. Archer looked pathetic. Kenzell Doe is in no danger of stealing that role. Does Archer make the team because no one else can do the job?

Didn't see anything from Tyler Murphy. Are they protecting him from injury because he is a lock to make the team? Can Murphy return kicks?

Did Walton outplay Cam Thomas? Haven't watched the entire game again, but if I recall correctly, Walton played before Thomas.

Offensive line depth is non-existent. Every UDFA they brought in is dogshit.

Is this what a young team in transition looks like? Or is this a reflection of failing(ed) draft picks, weak scouting, and/or poor management?

Is there a kicker out there that can kick the ball into the end zone?

Quite a few questions to answer and preseason is about over.

At least we answered one big question...Berry over Wing!

One other observation: I absolutely HATE watching a game called by the opposing team's announcers - can't get names right, graphics displaying the wrong starters, and one of them announced that "Maurice Pouncey is not dressed tonight." No shit moron - he's out for at least 10 games. Don't they have time to do a LITTLE homework on the opposition?!?!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Whichever WR they put on the PS will get picked. Not so many good ones in the NFL. Semi-rare and we are stacked. I would trade a couple for some DBs and OL help.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Whichever WR they put on the PS will get picked. Not so many good ones in the NFL. Semi-rare and we are stacked. I would trade a couple for some DBs and OL help.
    Maybe. Got to remember that they have to be on the 53 man roster if chosen from a practice squad. Not many teams that desperate for a WR that they'd throw them on the active roster.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

We have several #3s and possibly one or more of those could be a genuine #2 after a year in the NFL.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

by Ed Bouchette

--- Someone asked me for a surprise player from this summer for the Steelers. I was at a loss. Rookie Anthony Chickillo had a good first week and was made out to be the next Joey Porter but he now looks like he is practice squad material. There were no surprises from training camp or the preseason. No pleasant ones for them anyway. The surprises came in the other direction – that Cortez Allen has not asserted himself and that they needed to find two kickers, a backup quarterback and a veteran cornerback during the preseason.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...-Butler-for-it

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    by Ed Bouchette

--- Someone asked me for a surprise player from this summer for the Steelers. I was at a loss. Rookie Anthony Chickillo had a good first week and was made out to be the next Joey Porter but he now looks like he is practice squad material. There were no surprises from training camp or the preseason. No pleasant ones for them anyway. The surprises came in the other direction – that Cortez Allen has not asserted himself and that they needed to find two kickers, a backup quarterback and a veteran cornerback during the preseason.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...-Butler-for-it
    But then again, Dupree and Jarvis Jones look like PS material also : )

I feel if Jones shows nothing in the next game then they should consider cutting or trading him.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I feel if Jones shows nothing in the next game then they should consider cutting or trading him.
    but they won't...

but they won't...
    Sometimes I wonder what they actually see in certain players.

The Steelers are going to need put 45+ points on the board to beat the Patriots.
    Hater = Realist

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I've been disappointed in training camp/preseason this year. Usually there's at least a couple of new players to get excited about. There's no one for me this year.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I've been disappointed in training camp/preseason this year. Usually there's at least a couple of new players to get excited about. There's no one for me this year.
    Interesting point. You're absolutely right, the player I'm most excited about may not make the roster - Chickillo.

I hate to say it, but I think Jordan Berry is the new player I'm most excited about. At least for this year. Hopefully Dupree, Golson, and Grant will be killing it next year.

Interesting point. You're absolutely right, the player I'm most excited about may not make the roster - Chickillo.

I hate to say it, but I think Jordan Berry is the new player I'm most excited about. At least for this year. Hopefully Dupree, Golson, and Grant will be killing it next year.

When you're most excited about the new punter, that's got to tell you something. It's a sad day.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    When you're most excited about the new punter, that's got to tell you something. It's a sad day.
    So true. Actually, if we're talking about players new to the team, I'm pretty stoked about D'Angelo Williams too.

by Jon Ledyard

Anthony Chickillo got time against starters, so of course I revisited his game against the #Bills in-depth:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09...ony-chickillo/

by Jon Ledyard

Anthony Chickillo got time against starters, so of course I revisited his game against the #Bills in-depth:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09...ony-chickillo/
    Pretty good analysis. Definitely seems as though he's made enough of a positive impact to make the team.