Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 killed in shooting at Florida nightclub in possible act of Islamic terror

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

50 killed in shooting at Florida nightclub in possible act of Islamic terror

A gunman who federal authorities say had possible ties to terrorism opened fire early Sunday morning in a packed Orlando nightclub, killing 50 people and wounding at least 53 more in a bloody scene that ended hours later when police stormed the building and killed the shooter.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/12...nightclub.html

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected by this terrible tragedy.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Just happy to be here!! Array title="Polamalu Princess has a reputation beyond repute"> Polamalu Princess's Avatar

Re: 50 killed in shooting at Florida nightclub in possible act of Islamic terror

So very sad. Praying.

Angel Baby Faith our one and only 1/11/00 - 9/9/16 We love you.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: 50 killed in shooting at Florida nightclub in possible act of Islamic terror

I heard it was 20. Has the count gone up?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i just heard 53 +100 wounded not sure if that is correct, but crazy non the less

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Heartbreaking........

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Yeah, it's up to 50 now. The worst mass shooting in American history

My heart goes out to the friends and family of the victims.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Shooter did not live far from me. There was another attempted attack at a Ft. Pierce hospital which is in St.Lucie County. The gunner was tackled before he could kill anybody. This is a sleepy marine community. Apparently there is a nest of muzzie terrorists here.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="CapLovesTroyP43 is a jewel in the rough"> CapLovesTroyP43's Avatar

It's just awful and thank you SO MUCH Muslim in Chief for allowing this to happen because YOU want to let everyone and their cousin in this country.

"BIG MEN AND BIG BLADES OF GRASS"

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Prayers to the innocent victims and their families

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Wasn't possible act...it was an act. Disgusting...how does this guy pass 3 FBI investigations and still able to buy the weapons he did...unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Wasn't possible act...it was an act. Disgusting...how does this guy pass 3 FBI investigations and still able to buy the weapons he did...unbelievable.
    Because he's a Muslim and he needs to be stop being profiled!

Make sure you hug the nearest Muslim you see today! Stop Racism and hate!

The FBI dropped the ball. The NICS check hits up the FBI terrorist screening database, which would notify both the seller and the FBI. But... he was removed from that database 2 years ago.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    The FBI dropped the ball. The NICS check hits up the FBI terrorist screening database, which would notify both the seller and the FBI. But... he was removed from that database 2 years ago.
    Why was he removed?

Good question. Apparently they decided that he wasn't enough of a threat to keep him on the list. If that was the case, they were wrong.

That's the problem with background checks; they're only as good as the people conducting them and the federal government isn't very good.
    There's also the "problem" (depending on how you look at it) that the right to keep and bear arms is constitutionally protected and cannot be infringed without due process. They can't bar citizens from buying guns if they haven't been convicted of any crimes.
    Makes it easier for nutcases like this one to buy guns, but at the same time it makes it more difficult for the government to deny that right to us.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

So obama and the dems are going to say more regulation would have saved lives when the regs in place failed. This guy was investigated twice by the FBI and still passed a background check FFS.
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    So obama and the dems are going to say more regulation would have saved lives when the regs in place failed. This guy was investigated twice by the FBI and still passed a background check FFS.
    Actually, I don't think they'll come out and say that directly. They know they'll get hammered if they try. But they will blame "guns" and push for more gun control.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Good question. Apparently they decided that he wasn't enough of a threat to keep him on the list. If that was the case, they were wrong.

That's the problem with background checks; they're only as good as the people conducting them and the federal government isn't very good.
    There's also the "problem" (depending on how you look at it) that the right to keep and bear arms is constitutionally protected and cannot be infringed without due process. They can't bar citizens from buying guns if they haven't been convicted of any crimes.
    Makes it easier for nutcases like this one to buy guns, but at the same time it makes it more difficult for the government to deny that right to us.
    He was practicing his 1st amendment rights, you know freedom of religion.
    His muslim faith that believes all homosexuals, infidels should be killed.

The fbi dropped the ball on this one and no amount of regulation will ever stop it. Maybe next they'll use a pressure cooker instead.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

One scene from Archie Bunker always comes to mind when the debate over a gun ban comes up. Gloria asks Archie if he realizes how many people were killed by hand guns just last year. Archie responds with 'would it make you feel better if they was pushed outta windas instead, little girl?'.
    People who hate are going to hate. People who hate enough to kill are going to kill. No amount of restrictions is going to curb that. The mentally ill angle has been used for decades, but no one seems eager to put that blanket label on people of suspect social behavior. Could be the guys off his nut, but we will not know if he's dangerous until he does something dangerous. It's called individual rights as an American citizen. Not all people of Islam want to 'kill infidels'. These labels make it easy to point and say watch him, but do the math on these mass murderers. What do they all have in common? Leaving this for the objective.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

So, apparently his wife (and mother of his 3 year old son) tried to talk him out of the attack, and was with him when he purchased the guns and ammo. Unfortunately for her, this means she may have known about it before hand, and could end up charged with a serious crime. I'm leaning towards charging her, no matter what rights religious freedoms give you.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breaki...d=ansmsnnews11
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    So, apparently his wife (and mother of his 3 year old son) tried to talk him out of the attack, and was with him when he purchased the guns and ammo. Unfortunately for her, this means she may have known about it before hand, and could end up charged with a serious crime. I'm leaning towards charging her, no matter what rights religious freedoms give you.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breaki...d=ansmsnnews11
    No rights allows someone to infringe upon another's rights. Religious or otherwise.

President Barack Obama stirred outrage with his speech at the National Prayer Breakfast, comparing the atrocities committed by ISIS to those of Christians "in the name of Christ."

"Unless we get on our high horse and think that this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ," Obama said. "In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ."

"So it is not unique to one group or one religion," Obama said. "There is a tendency in us, a simple tendency that can pervert and distort our faith."

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Obam...#ixzz4BahikYLp
    Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!
    Last edited by GBMelBlount; 06-14-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    One scene from Archie Bunker always comes to mind when the debate over a gun ban comes up. Gloria asks Archie if he realizes how many people were killed by hand guns just last year. Archie responds with 'would it make you feel better if they was pushed outta windas instead, little girl?'.
    People who hate are going to hate. People who hate enough to kill are going to kill. No amount of restrictions is going to curb that. The mentally ill angle has been used for decades, but no one seems eager to put that blanket label on people of suspect social behavior. Could be the guys off his nut, but we will not know if he's dangerous until he does something dangerous. It's called individual rights as an American citizen. Not all people of Islam want to 'kill infidels'. These labels make it easy to point and say watch him, but do the math on these mass murderers. What do they all have in common? Leaving this for the objective.
    We've been through this many times, and I have proposed solutions on this forum before.
    The two most common factors in mass shootings are
    1) They always occur in "gun free" zones
    and
    2) They usually happen as "copycats" of preceding, recent mass shootings.

#1 can be curtailed by simply doing away with gun free zones wherever practicable.
    #2 can be curtailed by the media changing how they cover these events.

Of course, the true #1 most common factor in these events is that they involve potential mass- murders with guns. Some would argue that this is the place to find solutions, but unfortunately this is simply not a practical approach in a country where the right to keep and bear arms is constitutionally protected. The government simply doesn't have the authority to do anything truly effective along these lines.

Getting rid of gun free zones and changing the way the media covers these stories would have a dramatic effect, and is actually doable.

Best,
    -Slashy

We've been through this many times, and I have proposed solutions on this forum before.
    The two most common factors in mass shootings are
    1) They always occur in "gun free" zones
    and
    2) They usually happen as "copycats" of preceding, recent mass shootings.

#1 can be curtailed by simply doing away with gun free zones wherever practicable.
    #2 can be curtailed by the media changing how they cover these events.

Of course, the true #1 most common factor in these events is that they involve potential mass- murders with guns. Some would argue that this is the place to find solutions, but unfortunately this is simply not a practical approach in a country where the right to keep and bear arms is constitutionally protected. The government simply doesn't have the authority to do anything truly effective along these lines.

Getting rid of gun free zones and changing the way the media covers these stories would have a dramatic effect, and is actually doable.

Best,
    -Slashy
    Right. And great post. My question was about the person(s) that committed these acts. And they are not all shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Right. And great post. My question was about the person(s) that committed these acts. And they are not all shootings.
    The shooters themselves? I'd say they all share a common desire to punish "society" rather than specific individuals. I can't think of any instances of mass shootings where that wasn't the motivation. But you hinted that not all of them are shootings...
    I'm keen to find out where you're going with this.

Best,
    -Slashy

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    President Barack Obama stirred outrage with his speech at the National Prayer Breakfast, comparing the atrocities committed by ISIS to those of Christians "in the name of Christ."

"Unless we get on our high horse and think that this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ," Obama said. "In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ."

"So it is not unique to one group or one religion," Obama said. "There is a tendency in us, a simple tendency that can pervert and distort our faith."

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Obam...#ixzz4BahikYLp
    Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!
    A radical muslim kills homosexuals.....So lets condemn christians?

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

"Unless we get on our high horse and think that this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ," Obama said.

Cool story, bro. Don't look now, but it's 2016, not 1116.

What a fugging idiot...

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Cool story, bro. Don't look now, but it's 2016, not 1116.

What a fugging idiot...
    only 219 more days...
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

The shooters themselves? I'd say they all share a common desire to punish "society" rather than specific individuals. I can't think of any instances of mass shootings where that wasn't the motivation. But you hinted that not all of them are shootings...
    I'm keen to find out where you're going with this.

Best,
    -Slashy
    The radical Islamists don't drop off backpacks with bombs and run away to hide. There is always a threat of action, and then the action, which typically kills the person(s) carrying it out, then a public claim of taking credit for the action. And always by a radical Islamic organization.

Look at the recent tragedies that have occurred here in the states.
    2 brothers place hidden explosives in a crowd. There is no indication by these 2 that they are upset with anything prior to this. Then they flee obviously hoping to not get caught. The reports link them to radical Islamists but no group claims them.
    This guy from the other day. He had been seen at this club hanging out/casing maybe, but again, no sign from him to anyone what he was going to do. He's claiming some connection to Islamists, I've read. But no group has yet to claim him or his actions.
    That guy who was on the military base and committed suicide by police after shooting several personnel. It was talked about that he had ties to radical groups, yet none ever came forward.

What I'm getting at is these are not, have nothing to do with, radical Islamists. They are just natural American born assholes that decided it would be fun to do some sick stuff and ruin/end some lives. The Oklahoma City bombing was the cowardly act of a homegrown terror cell that has nothing to do with any religion. They are just pissed at our government over some perceived wrong.

Gun bans would not have stopped Mcvay, or the brothers that acted at the Boston Marathon.
    You are correct that these guys just want to punish. Thing is, they are all just random acts at this point. We keep debating about more gun control, shutting our borders, and deporting illegals. What we should be doing is arming the populace, allowing workers and families to legally immigrate, and deport ALL repeat violent criminals regardless of country of origin. It's time for this country's standing militia of nearly 300Million citizens to restore order. 2nd amendment rights? How about the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? It's all one concept.

Yeah, I agree with all of this and will take it a step further: Gun bans would not have stopped any mass killings *including* shootings. They make guns illegal, but do not make them disappear. Bad guys still get ahold of them and use them.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I'll stay out of the political side of the debate but, damn, Orlando is dealing with 3 separate tragedies.

Pulse Nightclub Massacre
    2 year old boy snatched by the alligator
    The singer who was murdered

All within a few days