Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets go pitt

Living Legend Array title="Dino 6 Rings has a spectacular aura about"> Dino 6 Rings's Avatar

Re: Lets go pitt

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
    Let me know when you grow a pair and decide to play the National Champions of a year ago. Regardless of how good or bad your team is. Not to mention 2 teams who could be no. 1 ranked teams at the time of the game.

(Man does this remind me why in the hell I'd like to have a Penn State/Pitt game again.)
    You signed up for that game prior to them being National Champs, but its bold, at least one of your out of conference schedule games has some meat to it. Pitt has ND, Miami and opens the season AT Utah, I'll put them against Bama anytime for scheduling tough games.

Any day. I was at the last Pitt vs Penn State game, it was great. Even though Harris woosed out and took a knee late in the game instead of going for another score when we were inside your twenty. I hated Walt Harris. At least now, I know the program is going to be solid as long as Dave is in charge.
    SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have? Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Pats 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Bears 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints 1, Hawks 1

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

Quote Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
    You signed up for that game prior to them being National Champs, but its bold, at least one of your out of conference schedule games has some meat to it. Pitt has ND, Miami and opens the season AT Utah, I'll put them against Bama anytime for scheduling tough games.

Any day. I was at the last Pitt vs Penn State game, it was great. Even though Harris woosed out and took a knee late in the game instead of going for another score when we were inside your twenty. I hated Walt Harris. At least now, I know the program is going to be solid as long as Dave is in charge.
    Originally I think that game was supposed to take place earlier in the decade when Alabama was still on probation. Well, now that appears to be a good move on Penn State's part. I think I will actually have a good idea of where this team stands for once going into conference season for once. One thing I will say, this schedule is better then last year, but could be better. It's better then future major opponents such as Virgina(2012-2013) and Rutgers (2014-2015). Although the conference schedule is going to be A LOT more tough with Nebraska in 2011. Just hopefully Delaney backs off on the whole not inviting Pitt to the Big Ten. I just don't see the Big East as a Football conference lasting much longer. Either that, or both sides administration will find a way to balance out their budgets and agree to an even deal. Joe Pa I know has said 2 for 1s, but again, he can probably still find schools who will agree to it and get Penn State it's 7 Home Games that he wants to get for them.

Pitt's non-conference also took a step forward this year with the signings of Miami and Utah. Notre Dame is a traditional team for Pitt to play although in recent years they have made some interesting games such as last year's. Miami I had a feeling just to kind of rekindle some of the old Big East Rivalries from before their move to the ACC.

Don't remind me. I was at that game and couldn't have been more frustrated with how Penn State's Offense played. Defense played lights out. The typical Jerry Sandusky Defensive play(In fact he's now the Defensive Coordinator at Central Mountain High School in Lock Haven, PA, and while I was in high school we put in all 3 match ups against his style of D 79 points), but the O couldn't put it in the Endzone. Especially after how well the rebounded against Louisiana Tech after losing to uggggh Toledo the week before. Although I was at that 1999 game(Which was my first Penn State game ever) and that game was fun as hell. In fact that's one of the many reasons why I want the rivalry to come back so badly. The games were back and forth, they don't like us, we don't like them type of things.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

Living Legend Array title="Dino 6 Rings has a spectacular aura about"> Dino 6 Rings's Avatar

The Big 10 had been pretty much a 1 team Conference for the last 10 years or so. Ohio State and then eveyone else. They needed a team like Nebraska to join it to bulster OSU's argument for more national title appearances.

Big East is what it is, after Va Tech, Miami and BC bolted for the ACC, it was a hard go. Basketball heavy, football light at this point. I'd like to see a few more teams come in, Kick Rutgers right the hell out while we are at it since I think they are a drag on the conference and bring nothing with them but greazy hair gel from Jersey.

Oh, and I don't think Hartings gets into the HOF. No offense against the guy at all, he was a heck of a player, but 6 years as the Center for Pittsburgh and 5 as a guard for the Lions, 1 ring, 2 pro bowls. There are a lot of other Offensive Linemen that are not in the Hall with better resumes. It isn't an "I hate Penn State" thing either, I just don't see him getting in at this point when you actually look at the linemen that are in, and especially at the ones who are not.

Curtis Martin walks in the first year he is eligible. No one can argue his body of work. He's #4 on the All Time Rushing Leader Board, behind Emmit, Walter and Barry Sanders. He's in front of Bettis, Dickerson and Tony Dorsett. Thomlinson is the only RB in the top 10 still "active". Jim brown is #9. Faulk is #10. Martin walks in first year.

I'd love for the Rivalry to be brought back, but it won't happen til Joe Pa leaves. He's still pisssed that Pitt didn't go for his "all American Conference" that he was trying to put together back in the day. He then gave the 2-1 deal offer knowing Pitt would never go for that. Its just a ridiculous thing to ask a Rival to do. Just simply Ridiculous.

Once Joe is out of the picture (I'm guessing after this season is Bobby Bowden is done) Then they will bring back the game. I Don't doubt it for a second.
    SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have? Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Pats 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Bears 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints 1, Hawks 1

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Keep in mind though that Penn State shared the Big Ten title with them in 2 of those years. However, I will admit they didn't exactly have smooth 2006&07, but still had a moderately ok 2009. Iowa has been getting up there. Otherwise yes, I would say you are right. Nebraska will be added to help Ohio State's case. However, they have been an embarrassing for the Big Ten in BCS Title Games.

When it comes to the Big East in general, if they chose to expand, remove Rutgers indeed. Although I'd like to see the Big East push for Villanova to move to I-A. That would give them 9 teams there. However, dropping Rutgers wouldn't hurt. Other teams I'd look for them to add would be Memphis(Strong Basketball, but hit and miss with Football), but there are others that could probably fit the Big East mold. However, I do agree with Zeise, you can not thrive as a hybrid conference for much longer. I personally won't be stunned if one day the teams who are holding the Big East upright eventually bolt(Pitt, WVU, and Syracuse). I just can't see this working forever. That would suck to because we'd be losing one of if not the greatest college basketball conferences.

Hartings I would say is the strongest candidate out of those who are retired. Although again there probably are others who would make more sense. Including from Penn State.

If Curtis Martin is held out of the Hall of Fame for more then 1 selection year(Meaning if not in by 2011, but 2012), then something is wrong.

That makes 2 of us. It will be one of these scenarios, either Joe leaves, or Pitt administration breaks. Joe Pa gone will likely be what happens in order for this game to happen. Bobby is already done.(Forced out in essence). Joe Pa could be gone after win 400.(And there are more then enough teams that could pave the way to 400 if Penn State doesn't screw it up).

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Here's the schedule for the upcoming season, looks like the first game is on September 2, which is a Thursday. That's fine because it won't be till the next Thursday, that the season opener for the NFL begins. http://espn.go.com/college-football/...burgh-panthers

Pitt Notebook: Right guard, center spots not solidified

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10223...#ixzz0wPXwXqQ7

Pitt's interior offensive line is still a long way from where it needs to be in order for the Panthers to live up to their lofty preseason expectations.

But coach Dave Wannstedt isn't concerned yet because it is still early in training camp and he believes as things progress there will be some players who respond to the challenge.

As of now, however, there are major questions surrounding the center and right guard positions and Wannstedt said Tuesday there will be open competition at both throughout training camp and maybe even into the season.

"I would say the center position and the right guard position are still up for grabs," Wannstedt said. "It might even be a situation where we play a couple of guys every game, I don't know. Once we get the pads on and we start doing everything live from top to bottom, usually that is when some guys will start to separate themselves from the others."

The starters at center and right guard are Alex Karabin and Greg Gaskins but Wannstedt said the back-ups at both spots, Jack Lippert and Ryan Turnley, are challenging for a starting job.

"[Lippert] is in the mix," Wannstedt said. "He is doing a nice job. He is playing center now but he has the possibility of going to guard and Ryan Turnley is having a good camp, too. They are all young but we have some kids who are working extremely hard and the key is that they don't go backwards.

"As long as they are making progress day by day, that is all we can ask of him."

If there is good news along the interior it is that redshirt junior Chris Jacobson has progressed nicely and solidified himself as the starter at left guard. Wannstedt said that development means the Panthers are solid at three of the five starting line positions, which is a good start considering how early it is in camp.

Romeus out again
    Greg Romeus sat out practice for the third day in a row with some sort of a mysterious injury which has been referred to by Wannstedt as merely "stiffness" and "soreness."

In addition to Romeus, safety Andrew Taglianetti has missed three days in a row with a groin injury but Wannstedt insists that both are fine and will be back in the lineup soon.

"Taglianetti came out and did some work in individual drills and I think Romeus is a lot better and that is all positive and everyone got through today [healthy]," Wannstedt said. "[Romeus] is OK, he is fine, he is just stiff. Hopefully tomorrow he'll start doing something."

Quick hits
    Wide receiver Jon Baldwin was named to the watch list for the Biletnikoff Award. The award is given annually to the nation's finest receiver. ... Pitt will go in full pads for the first time today and Wannstedt said that it will certainly take a few more days for the offense to catch up to the defense because the speed of practice will be much faster. ... Tight end Mike Cruz went down on the final play of the practice with some sort of a leg injury but ultimately was able to walk off the field to the locker room, albeit with a slight limp. ... One true freshman who seems to be pushing for a spot on the two-deep is cornerback K'Wuan Williams, who took a number of snaps with the second team Tuesday. "It is too early to tell," Wannstedt said when asked about Williams progress. ... Romeus was named to the watch list for the Ted Hendricks award, which is given annually to nation's best defensive end. ... Pitt received a verbal commitment from St. Edward (Lakewood, Ohio) defensive end Deonte Gibson Tuesday night. Gibson (6-3, 225 pounds) chose the Panthers over scholarship offers from West Virginia, Stanford, Cincinnati, Michigan State, Colorado, Louisville and Kansas.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10223...#ixzz0wPY9Mz9a

New Uniforms from Nike to be revealed today. Pitt on the list.

Style watch: Nike schools will be outfitted for tradition
    Posted 22m ago | Comment | Recommend E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |

ShareYahoo! Buzz Add to Mixx Facebook TwitterMore Fark Digg Reddit MySpace StumbleUpon Propeller LinkedInSubscribe myYahoo iGoogleMore Netvibes myAOL
    By Michael McCarthy, USA TODAY
    Nike plans to unveil new uniforms for 10 college football teams at an event in New York today. The schools — Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, Boise State, Miami, Oregon State, Pittsburgh, TCU, Virginia Tech and West Virginia — will wear them at least one game this season.
    Page 3.0 got a sneak preview at of the Nike Pro Combat uniforms the Swoosh says are 37% lighter. Among the tweaks: the Buckeyes will wear red helmets for the first time since the late 1960s; the Hokies will wear black for the first time in a century.

Bill Jones, Ohio State's associate athletics director, says the design salutes the red leather-helmeted players of the 1942 Buckeyes team that won the school's first national title.

"Back then they wore (red) leather helmets," said Jones. "That was one of the things when we started working with Nike. We were not opposed to the red helmet at all. We want to come as close to possible to making those uniforms similar to '42. Our goal was to give it a 'leather look' for lack of better terms."

Details on the uniforms:

•TCU vs. Oregon State (Sept. 4): Horned Frogs open with Lizard-skin design uniforms.

•Virginia Tech vs. Boise State (Sept. 6): Hokies' black colors salute Corps of Cadets; Broncos' Silver and Blue echoes Broncos' blue turf.

•Florida vs. Georgia (Oct. 30): Gator-skin design uniforms.

•Alabama vs. Mississippi State (Nov. 13): Numbers with hounds-tooth check salute Paul "Bear" Bryant.

•Miami vs. Virginia Tech (Nov. 20): Hurricanes don 1970s throwbacks.

•West Virginia vs. Pittsburgh (Nov. 26): New duds for Backyard Brawl.

•Ohio State vs. Michigan (Nov. 27): Red helmets for Buckeyes.

•Oregon State vs. Oregon (Dec. 4): Beavers' throwbacks salute '67 team that beat Southern California, Purdue and Oregon.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...uniforms_N.htm

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I guess no one else is watching the game?

Very nice, second turnover for Utah. Come on guys, lets see what you can do.

Touchdown Pitt! Yeah Lewis!

Horrible break down of the defense. He was left wide open in the end zone.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Just so everyone knows...my heisman projection is Dion Lewis...and that prediction is coming from a Buckeye fan
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

What just happened, how did they just break down like that?

You guys have to score here!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Overtime!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Sunseri choked!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

MOTHER EFFING CRAP ON A FCKING CRACKER OF A GARBAGE EFFING GAME!!!

That is my breakdown of Pitts 3 point loss in OT to Utah.

EFFING CRAP SHIIIIT CRAP GARBAGE!

Year Six Dave and you can't win an opener on the road at Utah? WTF ARE YOU DOING!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

If Pitt is ever going to be considered be an elite NCAA program, they can't lose games like this. Every year they lose games like this. Oh well, it's typical Pitt pulling off their usual bedshitting. Year Six for Wanny and nothing has changed.

Heisman candidate Dion Lewis? Held to a Career-Low 75 yards in 25 carries. He took himself out of the race early.

Pitt is and always will be an average football program. Beneficiaries of playing in a mediocre conference.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    If Pitt is ever going to be considered be an elite NCAA program, they can't lose games like this. Every year they lose games like this. Oh well, it's typical Pitt pulling off their usual bedshitting. Year Six for Wanny and nothing has changed.

Heisman candidate Dion Lewis? Held to a Career-Low 75 yards in 25 carries. He took himself out of the race early.

Pitt is and always will be an average football program. Beneficiaries of playing in a mediocre conference.
    75 yards and 1 TD the first game has removed him from heisman hopes? I dont think so, Now if the o-line doesnt play well like last night all year then yea I can see him not even being mentioned at the end of the year, but I dont think you can say after a decent preformance hes out of the race.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    75 yards and 1 TD the first game has removed him from heisman hopes? I dont think so, Now if the o-line doesnt play well like last night all year then yea I can see him not even being mentioned at the end of the year, but I dont think you can say after a decent preformance hes out of the race.
    I am a PSU guy, and even I know that is below the standard of player Dion Lewis is. A guy with his talent usually gets at least 100 yards and maybe 2 TDs on average. But however, I do agree, that doesn't automatically mean he is out of the heisman discussion, although he will slip a bit. The thing to keep in mind is, this could be his only bad week of the year(and I have good feeling he will probably get contained by at least 2 more schools pretty decently before the year is over and my gut says Miami and Uconn are probably those teams. Not enough knowledge about WVU yet). Bottom Line is, if Pitt goes manages an 11-1 season, there is a pretty good chance Lewis gets the Heisman because of the fact HE will be the reason why they win ballgames. The only other big name playmaker they have is Baldwin, but he isn't going to win a Heisman.

what's the saying...oh yeah...

Makes Me Wanna Puke!!!

that's how I feel about the mediocre game performance I witnessed last night by the ENTIRE Pitt Panther organization.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Pitt coming through in the clutch...
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Pitt Football: Wannstedt says mistakes correctable
    Tuesday, September 07, 2010
    By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    AP file photoDave WannstedtPitt coach Dave Wannstedt met with the media for the first time since the Panthers' 27-24 loss to Utah and said, after watching the game film, he feels a little better about the team's long-term prospects than he did immediately after the game.

He said the bottom line was the Panthers made too many mistakes, but those are easily correctable. Two mistakes, which resulted in Utah touchdowns, were a matter of miscommunication and inexperience.

"I was disappointed that we didn't play better," Wannstedt said Monday in his weekly teleconference. "But, if you look at it, we gave up two easy scores on defense because of mental mistakes, really. And twice we were inside the 10, and we had to settle for field goals instead of touchdowns. When you look at those four plays, however you want to divide them up, that was probably the difference in the game.

Saturday
    • Game: Pitt (0-1) vs. New Hampshire (1-0), 1 p.m.

• Where: Heinz Field.

• Radio: KDKA-FM (93.7).
    "I think we have to take the positives out of that. It was not easy on our team; it was probably as loud of a crowd and atmosphere as we've faced since I've been here, to be honest with you, and our kids will learn from that."

Wannstedt stopped short of any second-guessing of the coaching staff. The Panthers made four trips inside the red zone, but scored only one touchdown and played for a field goal toward the end of regulation instead of trying to get the ball on a fade pattern to standout receiver Jon Baldwin.

"We were very good last year [in the red zone] and we know what we have to do [once we get there]," Wannstedt said. "We had very few negative plays last year, but we got down there in the red zone and we hand the ball off and we lose three yards; so now it is second-and-13 and we throw the ball incomplete and here you go. That was one series where we went backward.

"The next series, we get down there and we jump offside and we get a five-yard penalty, and now all of a sudden you're back in a long-yardage passing situation again.

"It's really not the plays or what we're doing or the philosophy on how we want to score points; we hurt ourselves. We went backward two times in two different scenarios."

That might be true, but it does not explain not trying to get the ball to Baldwin when in the red zone. Pitt had 17 plays from there and never threw to its 6-foot-5 wide receiver.

The only drive the Panthers put together and scored on consisted of three passes to Baldwin, two which were complete, and a two-point throw to Baldwin.

Wannstedt was pleased with the progress that Tino Sunseri made as the game wore on. The first-year starter was 16 of 28 for 184 yards, a touchdown and an interception. After some first-half jitters, he seemed to settle down, although his interception came in overtime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray Fittipaldo's Ballot 9/7/10

Still, Wannstedt was happy with the way Sunseri played and said he is a player who should only get better.

"When that thing started and he walked out there, starting his first game with all of the variables, I thought that he got better, just from huddle control, got better from a communication standpoint on the sidelines, Wannstedt said.

"I thought he got more confident. By end of the game, there was no question he had a good feel for what they were doing and what we had to do from the standpoint of getting the ball to certain people.

"Every week he's going to improve, just like he did throughout the game. As I said at the beginning of the year, there's no easy way to do that. He can read all the Dan Marino magazines on how to play quarterback, and it's not going to help you personally. You have to go out and do it."

Wannstedt said Sunseri recognized what he did wrong on his untimely interception.

"Some quarterbacks come off and they don't understand what went wrong. He knew exactly what happened," Wannstedt said.

"He held the ball too long and probably should have thrown it out of bounds. He was the first guy to say it. Unfortunately, when you have a young quarterback and young players, there is a learning curve. As long as the curve is moving forward and upward, we're going to be fine."

There has been some second-guessing of the decision to switch the Utah game to the season opener instead of starting with a less formidable opponent, especially with a first-year quarterback.

"When you look around the country and see all the games that were played, I don't know of any nationally ranked teams that went and played another quality opponent, another ranked team on the road," Wannstedt said. "A lot of them played a neutral sites. We jumped into a hornets' nest out there; I'll be the first one to admit it.

"Would it have helped us to get a game under our belt? It's all hindsight. We didn't play well enough. If we don't give them a cheap touchdown and we punch one in, we've got a chance to win the football game, and I'd probably feel completely different. When you don't win, it's easy to sit back and say, 'Boy, it would be nice to have a game under our belt.' But we will learn from it."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10250...#ixzz0yqtjSaFj

Friend of mine was at the game, gave me a report.

Pitt is in trouble, couldn't open holes in the running game at all. Had to use screens and shovel passes to move the ball at all against New Effing Hampshire. Lewis had 27 yards on 10 carries for the game. That's pathetic.

Even though Pitt was able to pass the ball, because they HAD to, my friend, at the game told me that Sunseri looks horrible out there and that he does not know how to make progression reads, he stares down the #1 receiver and always throws it that way without ever checking off or going through his reads. Not good at all.

Pitt could be in for a long season if those reports are accurate. Shouldn't be in this situation with a 6th year head coach. But apparently, the rebuilt O-line and the lack of talent at the QB position is going to hurt this team and cause headaches for Pitt fans all season.

Member Array title="Steel12 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Sorry Pitt fans...my Hurricanes are going to make it seem like the old Big East when we come into Heinz Field and destroy ya'll!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel12 View Post
    Sorry Pitt fans...my Hurricanes are going to make it seem like the old Big East when we come into Heinz Field and destroy ya'll!
    HA HA! Guess we'll see. Miami does play well at night, but I'm hoping we can just control the line of scrimmage and keep your Offense off the field with our running game.

Yeah the same Hurricanes that left the Big East, screw the U.

Tonight has been an absolute nightmare.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Hopefully Pitt plays like this against ND.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Man was that an awful game
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger