Thread: 1909,1925,1960,1971,1979

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

I never really knew the Pirates won 5 world series titles. I grew up in a Philly home(in Gettysburg,Pa) with my pop. I grew to like the Phills,but had to draw a line when it came to Steelers. I know thats another deal,but i never really knew they had won 5 world series. Nationals are back now,that was one of theirs . 1925. Where did they go? It's almost like a "Panthers" national Championship scenario.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

Re: 1909,1925,1960,1971,1979

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    I never really knew the Pirates won 5 world series titles. I grew up in a Philly home(in Gettysburg,Pa) with my pop. I grew to like the Phills,but had to draw a line when it came to Steelers. I know thats another deal,but i never really knew they had won 5 world series. Nationals are back now,that was one of theirs . 1925. Where did they go? It's almost like a "Panthers" national Championship scenario.
    Yes indeed. I consider any and all Pitt National Championships before 1936(Establishment of the AP and other major selectors). People forget that the national titles are only based up on an SI Study. That's the problem with their logic. One thing that Pitt fans will never be able to say about their national titles compared to their Centre County couterparts, all of theirs are legitimate and are not based in any way off of a study.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

I started researching the other day,when a friend of mine told me i did not have a shirt on in my pic. I never visited this section of the site.I always liked the Phightins. Winners of 2 World series. Then i found out the Pirates have won 5. I could not believe it,although 3 were before my lifetime. Tigers 1909,Wash.Nationals,1925,who are coincidentaly back now,New york Yankees in 1960.,O's twice , 71, 79. A lot must have gone on before i was born. LOL
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Yeah, it would be nice to see the Pirates with another World Series to claim, but it won't happen anytime. It's going to be a magical day, the next time the Pirates are champs.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Being only 19 i truly am scared to never see a championship before I die.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5131/index.htm

In their locker room in picturesque new Three Rivers (that is, the Allegheny, the Ohio and the Monongahela) Stadium, the Pittsburgh Pirates were enjoying themselves. Manny Sanguillen, the hottest-hitting long-armed Panamanian catcher in baseball, yelled at Dave Giusti, perhaps the best reliever in baseball, "Hey, you too old to throw a fassball inside," and then he roared with laughter.

Dock Ellis, the hottest-talking, hottest winning pitcher in the National League, explained that his one-year-old daugher's name, Shangaleza Talwanga, meant "everything black is beautiful" in Swahili. Manager Danny Murtaugh, who looks like a cross between a bulldog and Barry Fitzgerald, sat in his office rocking chair, quietly rocking and chewing. Reserve Infielder Jose Pagan walked up to All-Star Leftfielder Willie Stargell (see cover) and hit him five or six good solid blows to the chest.

"O.K.," Pagan announced. "I'm ready. I feel good."

Stargell looked down on his little teammate and agreed. "You do," he said. And not just Pagan. Almost all the Pirates were feeling good and going good. As they loosened up last week for the Dodgers, the Bucs had grounds for team euphoria. They had won 11 in a row and were leading the National League East by 11� games, with a winning percentage of .667, best in the majors.

They were at home at Three Rivers (that is, at the Monongahela, the Allegheny and the Ohio) where their record for the year was a cozy 36-13. They were batting .284—14 points higher than the fabled 1970 Big Red Machine had—and they were leading both leagues in home runs.

Their ace pitcher, Ellis (the only Pirate who wears a fuzzy—or as he prefers to call it, a "velvetized"—batting helmet) was riding a personal winning streak of 13.

Their batting bulwark, Stargell (the only Pirate whose number is marked on everything—even his shower shoes—in a Roman numeral) was leading baseball with 31 home runs and 88 RBIs, and their bullpen bulwark, Giusti, had a similarly staggering total of 19 saves.

Their Hall of Fame rightfielder, Roberto Clemente, was hitting around .340, as usual, and a couple of weeks before in Houston he had made a catch about which Astro Manager Harry Walker declared, "He took it full flight and hit the wall wide open. It was the best I've ever seen."

They owned an offensive depth that would bring honor to a nuclear submarine. The Pirates' fourth outfielder, Gene Clines, had exactly the same lifetime batting average (covering 31 games in '70 and 52 in '71) as Ty Cobb, and their fill-in second baseman was old Bill Mazeroski—hitting for a better average than when he was a perennial All-Star. Due back soon from Marine camp was Dave Cash, batting .322 and already established, at age 23, as Mazeroski's worthy successor. Altogether, with seven American blacks, six Latins and a white minority which included at least one Polish American, one Texas American and two redheads, the Pirates had perhaps the richest assortment of ethnic strains ever to heap threats, obloquy and even full nelsons upon one another, day after day, in active harmony at Three Rivers—that is, at the Ohio, the Monongahela and the Allegheny.

Then, that night against the Dodgers, the Pirates lost a baseball game.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz119y2xXUk
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

I am not ashamed of how many WS we have.. We are in the top 6 MLB teams with most WS's... That ain't bad..

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Yeah, it would be nice to see the Pirates with another World Series to claim, but it won't happen anytime. It's going to be a magical day, the next time the Pirates are champs.
    It'll be a magical day if the Pirates just finish .500, much less win the World Series. Neither is going to happen as long as the current management group stays in place. Yeah, they have oodles of talent coming through the system and will add another one with the #1 overall pick next June. Yeah, they've spent more money on draft picks in the past 3 years than any other team. But what good is having all of that talent if management has no interest in winning? They STILL haven't figured out that they'd make more money - a LOT more money - if they spent a few bucks and put a winner on the field. They have 4 legitimate blue-chippers in A-Cutch, Tabata, Walker and Alvarez. They may have another one next year in Tony Sanchez at catcher. Give them some freaking help!

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

It'll be a magical day if the Pirates just finish .500, much less win the World Series. Neither is going to happen as long as the current management group stays in place. Yeah, they have oodles of talent coming through the system and will add another one with the #1 overall pick next June. Yeah, they've spent more money on draft picks in the past 3 years than any other team. But what good is having all of that talent if management has no interest in winning? They STILL haven't figured out that they'd make more money - a LOT more money - if they spent a few bucks and put a winner on the field. They have 4 legitimate blue-chippers in A-Cutch, Tabata, Walker and Alvarez. They may have another one next year in Tony Sanchez at catcher. Give them some freaking help!
    We should buy the team, it sounds like a plan to me.