Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Draft.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

2016 Draft.

The collage season is sneaking up on us, and I have started my to watch list. a couple of names I have place on this list so far.

Sua Craven, SS, USC. Craven was moved from SS to LBer last year and did a pretty good job for USC, but I think his pro future will be at Safety. Has been compered to our beloved Troy by several football minds, and I can see some of the same traits in him. A real play maker, but will gamble at times.

Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech. The younger brother of the CB several of us wanted a couple of years ago. Has the same talent level as his brother, some think he is a little more athletic, and possibly a little quicker.

Jalen Ramsey, FS, Florida St. An athletic, heavy hitting FS that was somewhat over looked last year. Will be interesting to see how he does this year will Florida St having to replace both of the CBs.

AML

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Re: 2016 Draft.

Cameron Sutten. Tennessee CB

https://youtu.be/brSdjPk7H1g

AML

If it not for the fact that we need a safety so badly I would love to stick NT A'Shawn Robinson in the middle of our defensive line.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Hey Tex. Sadly my favourite SS prospect tore his knee up recently.

Karl Joseph ( West Virginia SS) would have been a good 3rd to 4th round prospect.

I would still take a flyer on him on late. I put him in a similar category to Sean Spence coming out of college. Not a typical fit for the steelers system but seems to always be around the ball. As a pro he may be a bit slower due to the knee, however I think he has a high football IQ by his positioning in games. If Will Allen is seeing the field over Shamarko then we know that the coaching staff values football intelligence at Safety.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Hey Aussie. Good to see ya.

The injury to both Karl Joseph and Tony Conner has definitely hurt this years SS class. Right now the only SS left, that I really like, would be Sua Craven, and possibly Vonn Bell. Still, like you mentions, I would keep an eye on Josephs, and Conners progress. Could get a real good player real cheap.

Have you had a chance to watch A'Shawn Roobinson. I have become a little infatuate with the kid. If for some reason we don't go CB or Safely in the first, I hope the Steelers take a good look at this young man.

I'll write you later, need to get caught up on the family.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Havent caught a Bama game yet.

Watched a Texas A&M game and they have two monster freshman DTs to keep an eye on. Daylon Mack 6'1 335" and Kingsley Keke 6'3 319. Both look like they could be good ones in a couple of years.

I will need to start looking at O-linemen as there is going to be a need for possible an OT and an OG

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    Havent caught a Bama game yet.

Watched a Texas A&M game and they have two monster freshman DTs to keep an eye on. Daylon Mack 6'1 335" and Kingsley Keke 6'3 319. Both look like they could be good ones in a couple of years.

I will need to start looking at O-linemen as there is going to be a need for possible an OT and an OG
    A

I think Bama plays A&M this weekend. I will be watching that game. As long as it's not at the same time as the Iowa game.

AML

Think we may need a OT? I don't know yet, but if the steelers chose to go OT early I've got a name they may want to check out.

Tyler Johnstone, Oregon, Red flag, his knees. Tore his ACL the last game of 2013 season, then, I thought, was rushed back and re-tore the ACL the first day of fall camp. He is a little lighter that we would like, but could put on another 10-15 lbs. Has great length, and very good hands. Very quick with very good footwork, better strength that you might think. Is able to mirror the speed rusher, and still stand up to the bull rush. His biggest plus is his quickness, and technique. Would have to make sure his knees are sound, and this alone could drop him some in the draft. We have had good luck in the pass with players having health, and past health history. Have not watched him yet this year, but now think I will. You guys know I love the big uglies.

Another kid you might take a look at is Joe Haeg North Dakota State. Saw him play, by accident, a year ago, and read up on him a little. Needs to work on his strength, and technique, but seems to have everything else needed to play in the NFL. Probably will go a couple of round later.

AML

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Think we may need a OT? I don't know yet, but if the steelers chose to go OT early I've got a name they may want to check out.

Tyler Johnstone, Oregon, Red flag, his knees. Tore his ACL the last game of 2013 season, then, I thought, was rushed back and re-tore the ACL the first day of fall camp. He is a little lighter that we would like, but could put on another 10-15 lbs. Has great length, and very good hands. Very quick with very good footwork, better strength that you might think. Is able to mirror the speed rusher, and still stand up to the bull rush. His biggest plus is his quickness, and technique. Would have to make sure his knees are sound, and this alone could drop him some in the draft. We have had good luck in the pass with players having health, and past health history. Have not watched him yet this year, but now think I will. You guys know I love the big uglies.

Another kid you might take a look at is Joe Haeg North Dakota State. Saw him play, by accident, a year ago, and read up on him a little. Needs to work on his strength, and technique, but seems to have everything else needed to play in the NFL. Probably will go a couple of round later.
    I would say that there is a good possibility that the Steelers might have to draft one. Kelvin, Mike Adams, and Byron Stingily are all going to be unrestricted free agents at the end of this season. If the Steelers can resign Kelvin (I would do just a one year contract because of his knee injury), but lose the other two, I would say they would draft one in the later rounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looking at the prospect list for corners, all of the top corners are 5-9 to 6-1. I would like to see the Steelers draft a taller corner if possible.

The strong safety class doesn't look to be too strong this year. It would be a good idea to resign Will Allen who has had a good year.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

One last thing, what is everyone's most important positions that the Steelers must address in the draft? In order, mine are:

1. Corner
    2. Safety
    3. Outside linebacker
    4. Offensive tackle
    5. Defensive end (depth)

Banned Array title="B&GFever will become famous soon enough">

Watching this OU game and am impressed as hell with Eric Striker , lines up at OLB and occasionally with his hand in the dirt for the sooners but at 6'-220 will not be able to play LB at the next level IMO but he is a quick player and seems to have enough speed that he could be a box safety easily and probably be a damned good one ... I would not mind taking a flier on him if he lingers till the 3rd round and try and convert him to SS

if the kid was 20 pounds heavier and 2-3 inches taller he would be getting 1st round billing , no question in my mind as a LB

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

After today's game, I think it is time to draft a CB in round 1. Knowing the Steelers though, they will go with BPA.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    After today's game, I think it is time to draft a CB in round 1. Knowing the Steelers though, they will go with BPA.
    while I would agree , my issue with it is simple ...

who is going to determine what CB we take because we clearly haven't a clue on how to judge them with no experience in doing so and not much to speak of in terms of hits in the later rounds when we do normally take one . we cut them and nobody picks them up and if someone does they soon cut them as well and most never play a down in regular season football for any team before washing out of the league

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

CB and SS in rounds 1& 2 (either order) and then another CB in round 3.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by B&GFever View Post
    while I would agree , my issue with it is simple ...

who is going to determine what CB we take because we clearly haven't a clue on how to judge them with no experience in doing so and not much to speak of in terms of hits in the later rounds when we do normally take one . we cut them and nobody picks them up and if someone does they soon cut them as well and most never play a down in regular season football for any team before washing out of the league
    That is true, I would just like a change-up from the middle-round corners and try drafting someone in the first. I would also like the Steelers to fire Lake (he has done a poor job as CB coach) and replace him. Maybe that will help

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    That is true, I would just like a change-up from the middle-round corners and try drafting someone in the first. I would also like the Steelers to fire Lake (he has done a poor job as CB coach) and replace him. Maybe that will help
    we have not drafted a proven successful CB since William Gay .........
    unless you count Keenan Allen who we had in house for 4 years and he managed only about a years worth of starts over that stretch ...

so we not only have issue recognizing the right talent but we are unwilling to let them gain the needed experience under fire to know if we got it right or not until they are on their way out of town and to frustrated with the organization to resign so they go elsewhere ...

could Boykin be worse than Blake ?

How about the rookie Grant ?

right there is last years 4th round pick ( not being used ) and next years 5th rounder being thrown away without ever getting a chance all because they want to continue with the Blake experiment that has clearly failed ....

I thought this was all Lebeaus fault not getting guys on the field that are more talented in favor of vets that know the system , seems like that was nothing more than a myth and Lebeau was taking the heat for someone else ...

whomever it is keeping the younger and more talented players on the bench in favor of " vets" NEEDS to go

Remember guys, the Steelers have a CB sitting on the shelf that they seemed to be pretty high on. I still think that they will go with the BAP as long as it is a position they can use, and the way things look right now I think that could very well be a DT or a SS.

AML

Remember guys, the Steelers have a CB sitting on the shelf that they seemed to be pretty high on. I still think that they will go with the BAP as long as it is a position they can use, and the way things look right now I think that could very well be a DT or a SS.
    yes we have a 2nd round pick on the shelf but really is he anything more than the eventual William Gay replacement 5'9 -176lbs isn't going to get it done vs the Uber talented 6'4-215lb WRs they will have to face on the outside at the NFL level week in week out ....

so even if he comes back healthy he is still essentially an undersized rookie who will need time to season , we clearly need an outside corner with some size to him ( 5'11 -6'2 ) 190+

But I agree SS is a big issue ....

my problem with DT is the only guy I see meriting the pick will probably be gone ( Billings )

but maybe that is just me

Quote Originally Posted by B&GFever View Post
    yes we have a 2nd round pick on the shelf but really is he anything more than the eventual William Gay replacement 5'9 -176lbs isn't going to get it done vs the Uber talented 6'4-215lb WRs they will have to face on the outside at the NFL level week in week out ....

so even if he comes back healthy he is still essentially an undersized rookie who will need time to season , we clearly need an outside corner with some size to him ( 5'11 -6'2 ) 190+

But I agree SS is a big issue ....

my problem with DT is the only guy I see meriting the pick will probably be gone ( Billings )

but maybe that is just me
    I don't think they drafted him to replace Gay unless they just don't think they can keep Gay. They needed someone that can play with Gay. I believe they think he can play CB. By the way I was not in favor or drafting the young man, but we did.

If you look at CB position the ones likely to be available are Fuller and Redmond. Question is will they be recovered enough to show in workouts and the combines they they are still the players they were. I like Fuller a bunch, I was pushing Fuller hard before he got hurt. If he can show this he can change a lot of teams draft.

There are two, maybe three SS that could be worth the pick Craven, Kearse, and maybe Bell. Personally, I love Craven.

There are two DTs I like very much, Billings, and Robinson. I think there is a chance one of them could be there when we draft.

Still, there is a long ways to go. Things always seem to change and I expect this year will be no difference. This is always just our opinions, that really don't mean that much. Right now there is no right or wrong.

As a side note. Have you seen King from Iowa play. He has 8 INTS. I think that leads the nation, a ton of tackles, and a lot of the times the Big 10 team have tried to stay away from his area. There is talk that he may come out this year, I hope he doesn't.

AML

I don't think they drafted him to replace Gay unless they just don't think they can keep Gay. They needed someone that can play with Gay. I believe they think he can play CB. By the way I was not in favor or drafting the young man, but we did.

If you look at CB position the ones likely to be available are Fuller and Redmond. Question is will they be recovered enough to show in workouts and the combines they they are still the players they were. I like Fuller a bunch, I was pushing Fuller hard before he got hurt. If he can show this he can change a lot of teams draft.

There are two, maybe three SS that could be worth the pick Craven, Kearse, and maybe Bell. Personally, I love Craven.

There are two DTs I like very much, Billings, and Robinson. I think there is a chance one of them could be there when we draft.

Still, there is a long ways to go. Things always seem to change and I expect this year will be no difference. This is always just our opinions, that really don't mean that much. Right now there is no right or wrong.

As a side note. Have you seen King from Iowa play. He has 8 INTS. I think that leads the nation, a ton of tackles, and a lot of the times the Big 10 team have tried to stay away from his area. There is talk that he may come out this year, I hope he doesn't.
    I actually didn't mind the pick ( he can play ) as much as the selection point , I had him as a 4th rounder and felt we left better talent on the board when we took him ( seems like they picked names from a hat )
    felt like they took a corner for the sake of taking a corner instead of examining the kind of corner they actually needed ... does this make sense ....

Rollins , Carter , Shaw all above him on my board and all better suited for what we needed and still need ... but water over the bridge as we can't take it back now ...

King is on my list , have only seen 1 Iowa game this year but will be scouring youtube and draftbreakdown for more when time permits

would love Alexander , White , Fuller , Hargreaves one of them may fall into our laps ( praying one does )

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

That's why the pick still doesn't make sense to me. Tomlin has said repeatedly that Boykin doesn't have the size and physicality to play on the outside and Boykin is bigger than Golson. He's also said many times that he likes Gay at the nickel.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    That's why the pick still doesn't make sense to me. Tomlin has said repeatedly that Boykin doesn't have the size and physicality to play on the outside and Boykin is bigger than Golson. He's also said many times that he likes Gay at the nickel.
    Golson is a very talented player. He has 2nd round talent, but I thought his size was a problem. Personally I thought he was a late 3rd early 4th round pick. He does have a lot going for him. I thought there were few players with his nose for the ball, and timing. I hope his good point will make up for his lack of size in the NFL. Guess we will see next year.

Having said that, I still hope they will go after a CB early, even 1st round if the right player is still there for us. I hope Fuller shows well after the season.

AML

5 potential 1st round quality CBs in this upcoming draft depending on if teams view Ramsey as a CB or FS

Jalen Ramsey

Mackensie Alexander

Tre'Davious White

Vernon Hargreaves III

Kendall Fuller

people have them slotted a variety of ways from 1-5 but at this point we do not know where they end up until some red flag medicals are checked out , bowl games are in the books and the Senior bowl , combine etc

Fuller is at the bottom of most of these lists but we have seen this routine many times before and freshly in our minds is Kyle Fuller , Kendalls older brother who at this point of the draft grading was a mid second round prospect but by the time it was all said and done was drafted something like 14th over all .... so while they are " ranked " its still very fluid as to where that ranking ends up between now and May ..

all that being said we should have a chance at getting a very good CB prospect on the roster if we don't blow it

I still won't hold my breath on it happening

With the 20th pick in the NFL draft (the worst possible draft pick), the Steelers select...probably offense since that needs less work. Certainly not secondary since the top guys will be gone

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

What Colbert will most likely do:

1st round: Linebacker
    2nd round: 6-6 wide receiver with 4.2 speed and hands of stone
    3rd round: "Project" safety from the MAC
    4th round: Noodle-armed, inaccurate quarterback
    5th round: Cornerback, finally
    6th round: 5-6 kick returner
    7th round: Wideout from Southeast Missouri State

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

5th round: Cornerback that gets cut in training camp
    Fixed it

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

5th round: Cornerback, finally
    Steelers dont have 5th and 6th round pick this year.

From what I know, or maybe I should say I think I know, right now. I kinda expect either a DT, or a safety in the 1st round or a possible trade down to pick up another pick. I think there is a good chance we take a CB in the Second round. Still, as usual, it depends on what players are still on the board.

AML

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Has anyone diagnosed any tape on Jayron Kearse of Clemson? He's been big on Steelers prelim drafts/boards. Dude is huge for a safety, but boy is he raw. Watched him a bit against OU in the Semi and wasn't too impressed.

Depending on where we end up at, a decent corner might still be on the board when its our turn to pick in the first round. If not, look for safety help. If nothing further, I'd trade back.