Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Seek to Host 2023 Super Bowl

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Steelers Seek to Host 2023 Super Bowl

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201507010191

Steelers seeking to host 2023 Super Bowl
    July 1, 2015 1:16 PM

"The application is an early step in the bidding process," Steelers president Art Rooney II said in a statement.
    Pam Panchak/Post-Gazette

By Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Pittsburgh Steelers are laying the groundwork for a possible bid to host Super Bowl LVII in 2023.

Steelers President Art Rooney II discussed a potential for a bid with Mayor Bill Peduto and other community leaders this morning.

At the NFL owners' meeting in May, the team submitted an application to the league for permission to bid on Super Bowl LVII. The application is the first step toward submitting a formal bid to host the game. The NFL will decide in 2018 which teams get the right to bid.

In a statement released today, Mr. Rooney said, "The application is an early step in the bidding process, and we will continue to meet with representatives of the mayor's office, county executive's office, VisitPittsburgh, Allegheny Conference as well as other community leaders to review the requirements with hopes of submitting our bid to host Super Bowl LVII in 2023."
    All Defense!

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Re: Steelers Seek to Host 2023 Super Bowl

Interesting... Not being from Pittsburgh, would this be a good or bad thing for the city?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Does Pittsburgh have the hotel capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

They said they have the hotel capacity, but I don't know about pre-game activities. Kennywood will be closed.
    All Defense!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

They just showed a picture of the new end zone seats but is it enough?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Never going to happen.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Never going to happen.

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    Interesting... Not being from Pittsburgh, would this be a good or bad thing for the city?
    For the city? Not sure. For everyone else going and playing? Terrible.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac Jul 1 -

Art Rooney II on SBowl bid: "It’s worth throwing our hat in the ring and exploring it, We have not determined we will actually make a bid.”

More Rooney: “I’m not saying anyone should start counting on this. But let’s see how far we can take this.”

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It's irrelevant whether they make a bid. Their window of opportunity was about 2001-02. The only places that will ever host a Super Bowl are Phoenix, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Miami, San Diego, and San Francisco, unless another city has a brand-new stadium, and then they will do it one time only. Add Los Angeles to the list if they ever resolve the "must have an NFL team to host the Super Bowl" issue, which looks like it will happen soon enough.

Anyway, the next time they will even think of holding the Super Bowl in Pittsburgh is when they are tearing down Heinz Field and opening the new stadium. So with what it cost to build, I would guess sometime in the 2050s to 2070s.

Funny thing, the website for Three Rivers Stadium is still live:
    http://www.3riversstadium.com/index2.html

Seems like someone registered it for 20 years back in 1998 and it's been on autopilot ever since. June 26, 2018 will be a sad day.
    http://who.is/whois/www.3riversstadium.com
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    This site has been optimized for Netscape 3.0 or above and Internet Explorer 4.0 and above.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

It would be good for the city financially. All of the restaurants and retail stores near the stadium and all of the hotels in the area would definitely benefit from it. It would definitely bring in a ton of revenue.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I noticed fact too...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It's irrelevant whether they make a bid. Their window of opportunity was about 2001-02. The only places that will ever host a Super Bowl are Phoenix, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Miami, San Diego, and San Francisco, unless another city has a brand-new stadium, and then they will do it one time only. Add Los Angeles to the list if they ever resolve the "must have an NFL team to host the Super Bowl" issue, which looks like it will happen soon enough.

Anyway, the next time they will even think of holding the Super Bowl in Pittsburgh is when they are tearing down Heinz Field and opening the new stadium. So with what it cost to build, I would guess sometime in the 2050s to 2070s.

Seems like someone registered it for 20 years back in 1998 and it's been on autopilot ever since. June 26, 2018 will be a sad day.
    http://who.is/whois/www.3riversstadium.com
    Or Houston, Minnesota, Dallas...

2001 or 2002?

More Rooney: “I’m not saying anyone should start counting on this...”
    Oh, trust me, I'm not. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    It would be good for the city financially. All of the restaurants and retail stores near the stadium and all of the hotels in the area would definitely benefit from it. It would definitely bring in a ton of revenue.
    Some of the studies done on cities that get Super Bowls actually don't conclude that having one is an overall benefit to the city. Sure, it brings in tons of revenue but tons of costs are needed as well. I think that the cities naturally laid out it, with enough hotel rooms, etc. make out. I am sure New Orleans does well.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    Some of the studies done on cities that get Super Bowls actually don't conclude that having one is an overall benefit to the city. Sure, it brings in tons of revenue but tons of costs are needed as well. I think that the cities naturally laid out it, with enough hotel rooms, etc. make out. I am sure New Orleans does well.
    Agreed - it's much the same as hosting the Olympic Games.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Toronto is on the eve of hosting the Pan Am games. The worst decision ever. We are told to expect grid lock for the next month. Long story short, the planning committee has shown the lack of intelligence that they have. Absolutely no innovative ideas on how to manage traffic flow.

Thank God I leave for BC for the second week of the games.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

As much as I love the Steelers and enjoy the city of Pittsburgh, I do not see it as a viable option to host a SB. If they want to get more cities involved, then rotate the NFL draft the same way the NHL does.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

No team ever played in a super bowl hosted at their stadium fyi

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Or Houston, Minnesota, Dallas...

New stadiums. Except for Houston, which I guess you could consider a "warm-weather" city. It probably won't be on the list as often as the Big Six.

2001 or 2002?
    The year Heinz Field opened.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    No team ever played in a super bowl hosted at their stadium fyi
    Rams and the Steelers in the Rose Bowl for SB XIV and the 49ers and Dolphins in Stanford Stadium for SB XIX were about as close as it got...

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Even the recent Dallas super bowl was a disaster weather-wise which is why I think Heinz Field has no shot at hosting.

Does Pittsburgh have the hotel capacity?
    J-ville didn't have enough hotel rooms but they brought in cruise ships to make up for it. Pgh could do the same, I guess, but the shit winter weather would be too much a downer in my opinion. Yea, they did it in NY and Detroit but no one was excited about going there in Jan. either. It's just stupid.

J-ville didn't have enough hotel rooms but they brought in cruise ships to make up for it. Pgh could do the same, I guess, but the shit winter weather would be too much a downer in my opinion. Yea, they did it in NY and Detroit but no one was excited about going there in Jan. either. It's just stupid.
    Detroit is an indoor stadium and they've had a couple there. A couple in Minnesota. For the experience and what they do now, warm weather is ideal...and as for New York, the NFL lucked out with the weather that day...there have been several Super Bowls colder than New York was and a couple of those were in New Orleans.

Of course the warm weather cities are the most ideal and I'm sure they are the preferred...but I won't be surprised if a few more "cold weather cities" win bids every now and again.

Not to mention the complete cesspool Detroit has become as a city. For as much of a rap (now undeserved) that Pittsburgh STILL gets for being a complete shithole that defines "urban blight," Detroit actually is one.

Not to mention the complete cesspool Detroit has become as a city. For as much of a rap (now undeserved) that Pittsburgh STILL gets for being a complete shithole that defines "urban blight," Detroit actually is one.
    Dear God, anyone who thinks Pgh is anyWHERE LIKE Detroit, is completely ignorant. Pgh DOES still have the reputation of being shit hole, but it is not deserved. Detroit looks like Iraq. One thing that Pgh deserves a black mark for is it's mostly crap weather from Oct - Mar, pot holes and soot. But other than that, the city is charming, unique and cool.

Dear God, anyone who thinks Pgh is anyWHERE LIKE Detroit, is completely ignorant. Pgh DOES still have the reputation of being shit hole, but it is not deserved. Detroit looks like Iraq. One thing that Pgh deserves a black mark for is it's mostly crap weather from Oct - Mar, pot holes and soot. But other than that, the city is charming, unique and cool.

I remember being at Heinz Field in January 2004 for the AFCCG, and going to a tailgate party in the parking lot where all the beer had frozen, along with all the non-alcoholic drinks, so all you could drink was straight booze. I think it was something like -6 degrees, or maybe it was 3 degrees and -6 with the wind chill. People were hardcore and there were still a ton of people out there doing it, but I remember thinking that if you were not from Pittsburgh, you probably would not be up to the challenge. It was sub-freezing and snowing the couple days before and after the game too, and traffic was a mess.

For that reason alone, the NFL would never risk it unless it was to show off a new stadium. They might hold it in New York again just because it's New York, but I'd say not likely and not often.

I personally don't get the fascination of hosting the game in a new stadium all the time. I guess a few things about a new building are slightly neat, but when it comes down to it, if you've seen one football stadium, you've seen them all. It's not like they're in any danger of NOT selling out the game, or that they can't charge whatever they want, or that an old stadium will hurt the TV ratings or something. You know how stadiums are all basically the same? They look the same from the blimp too.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Pittsburgh Super Bowl, I don't think so

Monday, July 06, 2015
    by Dale Lolley

The Steelers officially put in a bid to host a future Super Bowl last week, but I don't see that happening.

There are a number of reasons but the first is hotel rooms available. If you took the whole greater Pittsburgh area, you might have enough hotel rooms to host a Super Bowl.

But anyone who has to attempt, for example, to get from Washington to Monroeville can tell you that there's no good way to do so at certain times of the day. The city is just not easily navigated.

Another problem would be finding places for both teams to practice in the week before the Super Bowl.

One team could certainly use the Steelers' indoor facility. But it is shared with Pitt, the city's only Division I football program.

The other team might be forced to go all the way to Morgantown to find a suitable indoor practice facility.

And given that the Super Bowl is played in February, you have to plan on bad weather.

Another issue would be playing the game on grass in February in the northeast.

There are a lot of issues that would need to be resolved before the city could host such an event, of which these are just a few.

So while it sounds nice to make an attempt at a Super Bowl. It's unlikely Pittsburgh would be chosen.

to read rest of article:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Pittsburgh Super Bowl, I don't think so

Monday, July 06, 2015
    by Dale Lolley

The Steelers officially put in a bid to host a future Super Bowl last week, but I don't see that happening.

There are a number of reasons but the first is hotel rooms available. If you took the whole greater Pittsburgh area, you might have enough hotel rooms to host a Super Bowl.

But anyone who has to attempt, for example, to get from Washington to Monroeville can tell you that there's no good way to do so at certain times of the day. The city is just not easily navigated.

Another problem would be finding places for both teams to practice in the week before the Super Bowl.

One team could certainly use the Steelers' indoor facility. But it is shared with Pitt, the city's only Division I football program.

The other team might be forced to go all the way to Morgantown to find a suitable indoor practice facility.

And given that the Super Bowl is played in February, you have to plan on bad weather.

Another issue would be playing the game on grass in February in the northeast.

There are a lot of issues that would need to be resolved before the city could host such an event, of which these are just a few.

So while it sounds nice to make an attempt at a Super Bowl. It's unlikely Pittsburgh would be chosen.

to read rest of article:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
    I don't even want Pgh to get a SB. It's a dumb idea. The vast majority of us want to go some where nice if we go to a SB, especially those who live up north. It's a bonus to go somewhere where you don't need boots and heavy jackets. It's supposed to be a treat. They should just rotate among the cities that makes sense: NO, Miami, SD, Dallas, LA....possibly Houston. Maybe SF (although it gets chilly up there in Feb.)