Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pens Tidbits 2015-16

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Pens Tidbits 2015-16

With the NHL draft now behind us, I decided it was time to start a new Tidbits page, as we usually do this time of year.

The Penguins only had 4 picks in this year's draft. The WBS Pens highlighted the picks: http://wbspenguins.com/articles/2015-nhl-draft-recap#

Also, there are rumors going around that Pittsburgh offered Pouliot, Kunitz, Scuderi and a 2016 1st round pick to Toronto in exchange for Phil Kessel. While I would not be upset to see Kuni and Scuds go, I do not want to see a good, young prospect like Pouliot traded away.

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Re: Pens Tidbits 2015-16

Quote Originally Posted by salamander View Post
    With the NHL draft now behind us, I decided it was time to start a new Tidbits page, as we usually do this time of year.

The Penguins only had 4 picks in this year's draft. The WBS Pens highlighted the picks: http://wbspenguins.com/articles/2015-nhl-draft-recap#

Also, there are rumors going around that Pittsburgh offered Pouliot, Kunitz, Scuderi and a 2016 1st round pick to Toronto in exchange for Phil Kessel. While I would not be upset to see Kuni and Scuds go, I do not want to see a good, young prospect like Pouliot traded away.
    I agree, but it sounds like Martin wants to really stay in Pittsburgh and is willing to take a big hometown discount contract. I know Martin is getting up there in age, but the dude can still anchor a blue line and bring experience where it is needed. If Martin does stay I truly believe Pouliot is gone to get that big name winger they are dying for.

We shall see what happens, here to hoping good ole Jimmy boy works some magic.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Ian Cole re-signs with the Pens

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=772890

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

How's everyone feel about the Ian Cole signing? I am asking because I am really not sure. Seems like a cap friendly signing, but I don't know enough about the cap.

Could this be a signing to keep a young vet to keep Pouliot and also possibly sign Martin, but if Martin cannot/will not sign "oh well"?

Cole wasn't terrible when he came over to the Pens last season. I think our defense will consist of Letang, Maata, Cole, Pouliot, Dumoulin and some combination of either Harrington, Chorney or another free agent (Martin, etc.)

For anyone wanting Brandon Saad to come to the Pens, you can scratch him off your list. He was just traded to Columbus.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=773102

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Just received an email from DirecTV about Center Ice/Game Center Live Class Action Lawsuit.

Settlement offer (see below). It doesn't seem to do much other than
    just get an extended free view of 3 weeks to start the season.

Where's Vis? Should I demand a cash settlement?

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK

NOTICE TO PERSONS WHO PURCHASED GAME CENTER LIVE FROM THE NHL OR PURCHASED NHL CENTER ICE FROM COMCAST OR DIRECTV

You Have an Opportunity to Subscribe to Discounted Individual Team Packages through NHL GameCenter LIVE and You May Have Access to Free NHL Center Ice Programming through Comcast or DIRECTV

A federal court authorized this notice. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.

Comcast and DIRECTV have further agreed to provide the first three weeks of the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 Center Ice seasons for free, comprising a 12.5% discount off of the price of a full-season Center Ice package for those customers who subscribe to Center Ice, provided that Comcast and DIRECTV each respectively carries Center Ice for the applicable season.
    Automatic Benefits
    You do NOT need to submit a claim form to obtain these benefits. They will be provided automatically.
    Exclude Yourself by August 21
    You may exclude yourself from the Settlement in the case and retain your rights to commence a lawsuit against Defendants for damages caused by the conduct challenged in this case. Because the Court certified an injunctive class only and Defendants have agreed to change the ways in which the packages are sold to all consumers as part of this Settlement, you cannot opt out of the injunctive claims.
    Object by August 21
    Submit a written statement to the Court about why you don't like the Settlement. If you submit an objection, you may also ask to be heard by the Court at the final Fairness Hearing.
    Go to Fairness Hearing
    You may attend the fairness hearing on August 31, 2015, whether or not you object or intend to speak.
    Do Nothing
    You will receive the full benefits of the Settlement, and will give up your rights to initiate any lawsuit against Defendants regarding the NHL’s territorial broadcast limitations on its clubs and related blackout practices, including a lawsuit for alternative or additional relief to that provided here.

Just a quick question because seriously I really don't feel like researching it. Do we have any big, physical blue liners in the pipeline? I don't know enough of Harrington or Chorney, but I do know that Letang, Maata, and the majority of the current bunch are just technical defenders, and not real good at moving someone out from in front MAF.

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
    Just a quick question because seriously I really don't feel like researching it. Do we have any big, physical blue liners in the pipeline?
    We did

Yeah, aside from Despres (who's now obviously gone) we don't really have any big boys on the blue line.

If they trade Maatta I will scream.

NHL Trade Rumors: Can the Penguins pull off a Phil Kessel trade?

Any Kessel to Pittsburgh trade logistically will have to include salary relief for the Penguins. One would think at least 2 of Nick Spaling($2.2 million hit, 1 year remaining), Rob Scuderi ($3.375 million for 2 years), Chris Kunitz ($3.85 million for 2 years) and Brandon Sutter ($3.3 million for 1 year).

From there, Toronto will need more valuable pieces for Kessel. It's widely believed that includes one of Olli Maatta or Derrick Pouliot, with it believed that Maatta is viewed as more untouchable than Pouliot.

http://www.pensburgh.com/2015/6/28/8...l-kessel-trade

--------------------

let me help

Trade/dump Scuderi, Sutter, Kunitz and Spalding.

That wasn't hard, let me be GM.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Kessel is not a front line star. He can't be a leader. If he is allowed to just come back to the blue line, he will flourish. Don't give him any defensive responsibilities.

Penguins trade for Phil Kessel

The Pittsburgh Penguins made a big splash on the first day of free agency, completing a trade with Toronto for star winger Phil Kessel.

The Penguins acquired the five-time 30-goal scorer for forward Nick Spaling, a pair of prospects and a third-round draft selection in 2016.

Along with Kessel, Toronto sent defenseman Tim Erixon and forward prospect Tyler Biggs to Pittsburgh.

The Penguins dealt forward Kasperi Kapanen and defenseman Scott Harrington to the Maple Leafs.

The deal also involves conditional draft choices

Kessel is signed through the 2021-22 season and carries an annual $8 million salary cap hit. However, Toronto is retaining 15 percent of Kessel's salary per year, meaning Kessel will count for $6.8 million against Pittsburgh's

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/n...e25990429.html

------------------------------

Thanks Toronto!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TD's & Beer View Post
    Penguins trade for Phil Kessel

The Pittsburgh Penguins made a big splash on the first day of free agency, completing a trade with Toronto for star winger Phil Kessel.

The Penguins acquired the five-time 30-goal scorer for forward Nick Spaling, a pair of prospects and a third-round draft selection in 2016.

Along with Kessel, Toronto sent defenseman Tim Erixon and forward prospect Tyler Biggs to Pittsburgh.

The Penguins dealt forward Kasperi Kapanen and defenseman Scott Harrington to the Maple Leafs.

The deal also involves conditional draft choices

Kessel is signed through the 2021-22 season and carries an annual $8 million salary cap hit. However, Toronto is retaining 15 percent of Kessel's salary per year, meaning Kessel will count for $6.8 million against Pittsburgh's

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/n...e25990429.html

------------------------------

Thanks Toronto!
    Gotta say, see ya Phil. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

If work ethic has been the problem with the Pens these last few seasons, then you have a new poster child. He doesn't keep in shape and you won't see him until training camp. Difference may be that he is home in the US now. Good luck Pens.

The Leafs were forced to eat $1.25 million of Kessel’s annual salary, per year.

Didn't lose Pouliot or Maata, that was huge.

Sid is happy as shit

Happy Canada Day, Sidney Crosby.

The captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins said Wednesday that he believes blockbuster acquisition Phil Kessel will be a welcome addition to team.

“He’s an elite scorer and has a lot of speed. I see him fitting in well with us,” Crosby told Pittsburgh reporter Josh Yohe.

“We’re excited to have him on our team.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...-kessel-trade/

------------------

Phil Kessel trade makes Penguins big winners on Day 1 of NHL free agency

The Pittsburgh Penguins were an undeniable winner on the first day of free agent hunting season because they bagged the biggest difference-maker in the marketplace.

While other NHL teams were picking through a mediocre free agent crop, the Penguins made a bold trade to acquire speedy right wing Phil Kessel from the Toronto Maple Leafs to be Sidney Crosby's linemate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ency/29573061/

‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’

Over the last five seasons, only Alex Ovechkin, Steven Stamkos, and Corey Perry have scored more goals than Kessel. And Kessel’s center has mostly been Tyler Bozak. In Pittsburgh, it’ll be Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...e-phil-kessel/

------------

Helluva steal for what we gave up.

Since 2009-10

Kessel - 446 GP - 181 goals - 213 assists - 394 points

Tavares - 432 GP - 174 goals - 227 assists - 401 points

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Kessel is not a front line star. He can't be a leader. If he is allowed to just come back to the blue line, he will flourish. Don't give him any defensive responsibilities.
    We don't need him to be a leader, or anything else. Just score goals.... say 40+ goals and 90 pts a year playing with Sid.

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornquist, Letang on the PP

Gonna be amazing to watch

It should be noted that the $4 mil signing bonus owed to Kessel on 1 Jul was paid by the Leafs and not passed on to the Pens in this trade.

So with the $4 mil + $1.25 mil retention the Leafs are paying Kessel $5.25 mil to play with the Pens this season.

And the first-round pick is conditional on the Pens making the playoffs, so Leafs fans will be rooting for us too.

Thanks Toronto!

Last edited by TD's & Beer; 07-02-2015 at 05:46 AM.

Keeping Malkin happy too...

The #Pens have signed forward Sergei Plotnikov

Plotnikov, a six-year KHL veteran, spent the last three seasons playing for Yaroslavl Lokomotiv, where he scored 44 goals and 57 assists through 159 games over the last three years.

He’s a two-time KHL All-Star and has been on the last two Russian National Teams for the IIHF World Championships. This year he scored one goal and one assist in 10 games en route to a silver medal while playing with new teammate Evgeni Malkin. The prior year he helped Russia capture the gold when he posted six goals and six assists in 10 games and was named to the tournament All-Star team.

http://thehockeywriters.com/sergei-p...-nhl-penguins/

We don't need him to be a leader, or anything else. Just score goals.... say 40+ goals and 90 pts a year playing with Sid.

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornquist, Letang on the PP

Gonna be amazing to watch

It should be noted that the $4 mil signing bonus owed to Kessel on 1 Jul was paid by the Leafs and not passed on to the Pens in this trade.

So with the $4 mil + $1.25 mil retention the Leafs are paying Kessel $5.25 mil to play with the Pens this season.

And the first-round pick is conditional on the Pens making the playoffs, so Leafs fans will be rooting for us too.

Thanks Toronto!

He will fit better in the Pens line up. His time in Toronto was done 3 years ago.

Paying other teams players, that is one way we can say we won the Stanley Cup. Going to be a long time before the Leafs get close again. I may not see it.

The future is now in Pittsburgh. This was our last big shot at buying an elite blue chip winger to get us back to winning the Cup.... should be able to hold this team together for a solid 3-5 year run.

Barring injuries, of course.

Member Array title="Pete The Greek is an unknown quantity at this point"> Pete The Greek's Avatar

All I can say is that the Steelers better be good this year as my winter of watching the Leafs is going to be hell. The Leafs got shit back for Kessel.

I am so tired of whiny Pens fans saying we shouldn't be trading away all these draft picks.

We've BEEN building through the draft, we HAVE a solid core , Malkin, Letang, Sid, Fleury, Maata, Beau, Poulliot, - we need to get to the Cup NOW

The future is NOW, screw the draft - we got a 3-5 year window - we got a blue chip winger for Sid in Kessel - now get out there and win!

and no more fucking injuries.

I still don't know how good this head coach is though - and did I mention they really fucked up by giving away Despres?

I am so tired of whiny Pens fans saying we shouldn't be trading away all these draft picks.

We've BEEN building through the draft, we HAVE a solid core , Malkin, Letang, Sid, Fleury, Maata, Beau, Poulliot, - we need to get to the Cup NOW

The future is NOW, screw the draft - we got a 3-5 year window - we got a blue chip winger for Sid in Kessel - now get out there and win!

and no more fucking injuries.

I still don't know how good this head coach is though - and did I mention they really fucked up by giving away Despres?
    While I don't like the idea of giving away draft picks - I do agree with you. Malkin and Sid are not getting any younger. These team is built to win now, and there isn't anything wrong with that. Our biggest enemy in recent years has been the injuries (and the cap hell Ray Shero left us).

Sutter traded!

he was on my cut list... buh-bye

Penguins upgrade depth by adding Nick Bonino, Eric Fehr in separate moves

Pittsburgh sends Brandon Sutter and a 2016 third-round pick for Bonino, defenseman Adam Clendening and a 2016 second-round pick. There is no salary retention involved.

Meanwhile, Fehr signs for 3 seasons at $2 million per. The only monkey wrench in that deal is that the 29-year old forward underwent elbow surgery last month and is expected to miss 4-6 months

​Fehr and Bonino combine for a $3.9 million cap hit and will fill the center spots on the Penguins’ third and fourth lines

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...161744821.html

Seems like a good move. Just wish Fehr wasn't injured.

I dreamed of a Sutter trade

Now for Scuderi and my mission will be complete

meanwhile

Beau Bennett signs one-year, $800K contract

Beau Bennett has agreed to a one-year, $800,000 contract with the Penguins.

Bennett has the potential to develop into a top-six forward, but he hasn't progressed as projected. That can partially be blamed on injuries, although Penguins GM Jim Rutherford also regrets not sending him down to the minors to hone his skills further before he became waiver eligible. Bennett had four goals and 12 points in 49 games with Pittsburgh in 2014-15.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Gonchar Returns

Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford went back to the future on Friday morning, as 2009 Stanley Cup champion defenseman Sergei Gonchar is set to return to Pittsburgh on a professional tryout contract.

For the 20-year veteran, even though this deal comes with the caveat of having to try out for the team, there was only one club that Gonchar zeroed in on when his contract with the Montreal Canadiens expired on July 1.

“The Penguins were the only team that I was looking at,” said Gonchar, who had 14 points (3G-14A) in 22 playoff games with Pittsburgh during its ’09 Cup run. “We’ve been talking for a while now. We had to wait for them to finish making all of their moves.”

The 41-year-old blueliner will arrive in Pittsburgh for training camp next month as the oldest member of the roster, three years the senior of the next-closest player, center Matt Cullen. Gonchar is coming with one goal in mind.

“My goal is to come to camp and show the team that I can still play,” Gonchar said. “Then I want to help the team in any way that I can. Whatever the team needs I’ll try to do. That’s the way that I am looking at it.”

Read more: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=777015

At least we didn't give up another blue chip prospect for a former D!

Can we trade Scuds now if he makes it?

I swear if we start this season with Scuderi, Lovejoy and Gonchar on our blueline, I'm jumping off a bridge.

maybe this is so he can retire a Penguin?

At least with Gonchar, if he comes in and sucks - he's only a tryout contract.

fun facts

If Gonchar makes the roster the Pens will be the oldest team in the NHL.

Pens are currently 2nd - Wings are oldest

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams?year=2016

there's that "experience" for ya