Thread: Butler’s Defensive Changes Will Hopefully Include Wade Phillips-Like Aggressiveness

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Butler’s Defensive Changes Will Hopefully Include Wade Phillips-Like Aggressiveness

Keith Butler’s Defensive Changes Will Hopefully Include Wade Phillips-Like Aggressiveness

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/06...ggressiveness/

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Butler’s Defensive Changes Will Hopefully Include Wade Phillips-Like Aggressivene

Really, they couldn't find a better example for the article about a Steelers' defense than somebody with the last name of Phillips? Bum and Wade are both caricatures in the Steel City. I am not even going into detail about the redneck drawl.
    All Defense!

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Re: Butler’s Defensive Changes Will Hopefully Include Wade Phillips-Like Aggressivene

I wonder if Butler using more one-gap systems would explain why they didn't feel the need to attempt an upgrade at NT? Maybe with this style you don't need an immovable object like Casey in there.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    I wonder if Butler using more one-gap systems would explain why they didn't feel the need to attempt an upgrade at NT? Maybe with this style you don't need an immovable object like Casey in there.
    or they may be satisfied with McLendon and the development of McCullers...

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    or they may be satisfied with McLendon and the development of McCullers...
    They may be but a lot of us don't feel that way. A top NT is mandatory to our 3-4 working and it requires a load with a low center of gravity, and neither McLendon or McCullers are that.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

They may be but a lot of us don't feel that way.
    the Steelers coaches seem to have a higher opinion of McLendon than many posters do...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Really, they couldn't find a better example for the article about a Steelers' defense than somebody with the last name of Phillips? Bum and Wade are both caricatures in the Steel City. I am not even going into detail about the redneck drawl.
    Wade Phillips = "Yuk Yuk."

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I live down here in San Antonio and the guy who does the late afternoon sports show was saying exactly the same thing. His name is Mike Taylor and aside from being a cowboy fan is pretty funny to listen to. He calls their coach (Phillips) Yuk Yuk and they make fun of him on a contant basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I remember just before Wade (Yuk Yuk) Phillips was brought in jerry interviewed Bill Cowher.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

They may be but a lot of us don't feel that way. A top NT is mandatory to our 3-4 working and it requires a load with a low center of gravity, and neither McLendon or McCullers are that.
    McLendon fits extremely well as a one-gapper. Guy that can penetrate, something we saw numerous times last year. And he's plenty "low." Just over 6'1. 1/8 inch taller than Hampton. Not sure why there'd be an issue over height.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    McLendon fits extremely well as a one-gapper. Guy that can penetrate, something we saw numerous times last year. And he's plenty "low." Just over 6'1. 1/8 inch taller than Hampton. Not sure why there'd be an issue over height.
    I didn't realize he was that squatty. Question: How can we play a 1-gap system with a 3-4?

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I didn't realize he was that squatty. Question: How can we play a 1-gap system with a 3-4?
    Don't use the team website as your guide to height/weight. They can be way off.

Steelers can play it as other 1 gap odd fronts, like Phillips, has done. This isn't exactly a brand new concept. And the will still two-gap sometimes, too. Players have said that.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Use 1 DL for a gap, fill the empty gap with an ILB, OLBs rush outside or stunt with DE to swap gap/rush duties free ILB or OLB to cover or rush

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Isn't Mclendon 6', 4"? Perhaps the site is off, but when he stands next to others he appears taller than 6', 1".
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Isn't Mclendon 6', 4"? Perhaps the site is off, but when he stands next to others he appears taller than 6', 1".
    McLendon is listed as being 6'4" on every website there is and you're absolutely right, he looks to be every inch that tall when he's standing next to others.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

A few of the "draft sites" had him listed at 6-1...I agree, he's closer to 6-4 more so than 6-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Butler’s Defensive Changes Will Hopefully Include Wade Phillips-Like Aggressi...

I saw that. I think NFL draft scout had him at 6-1 as well as football,futures? I can't remember. I thought it was odd he "grew" 3 inches in the offseason but most of those sites will take one source and run with it...a lot of times they don't bother to check the actual figures. I think his weight ranges from 280'to 320...pretty large range...lol.
    Last edited by 86WARD; 06-28-2015 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

One site usually just takes whatever the team reports. You wouldn't also think Villanueva is 277 pounds, would you?

My go to is draft information. NFL draft scout has him weighing in at 6'1/3 306 at his 2009 Pro Day. Another site has him at 6'0.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=DT

One site usually just takes whatever the team reports. You wouldn't also think Villanueva is 277 pounds, would you?

My go to is draft information. NFL draft scout has him weighing in at 6'1/3 306 at his 2009 Pro Day. Another site has him at 6'0.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=DT
    just curious, why would the Steelers list McLendon at 6'4" on their official team website and not correct the error if there was one?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

In this video Mclendon stands next to 6', 3" Kenny Dobbs. Mclendon appears to be a tad taller. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coS9ju8EDm4

Whatever his height happens to be I personally don't see him as a poor NT in the Steelers' scheme. The Steelers woes with stopping the run goes further than the NT.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    just curious, why would the Steelers list McLendon at 6'4" on their official team website and not correct the error if there was one?
    Those numbers are notoriously rigid. Casey Hampton would be listed at 320 each year. We know that wasn't true. Casey would be the first one to tell you. McLendon was at 280 on that site forever despite news he was around 320 (which he is now listed at).

Usually it's just a matter of what they find first. When he originally signs, they just take whatever their college site says and it doesn't often get changed. Most people don't care enough, especially with something like height.

McClendon has been called 6'4 for his entire life. Probably his high school trying to make him sound bigger. At the HS/college level, they're always tweaking your numbers.

https://arkansas.rivals.com/cviewpla...p?Player=55694

That's the measurement that sticks and follows a player for the rest of his life. I never trust a team site for accurate height/weight. Always, always go with draft info, especially for height, which can't change like someone's weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    In this video Mclendon stands next to 6', 3" Kenny Dobbs. Mclendon appears to be a tad taller. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coS9ju8EDm4

Whatever his height happens to be I personally don't see him as a poor NT in the Steelers' scheme. The Steelers woes with stopping the run goes further than the NT.
    This assumes Dobbs is actually 6'3.

Casey Hampton would be listed at 320 each year. We know that wasn't true. Casey would be the first one to tell you.
    you don't think Big Snack is 320 in this pic?

And just for the record, regardless of how tall he is, McLendon's height has never been a problem in his two years starting.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I'd be interested in seeing the stats from the year before Wade Phillips took over the Texans defense and the year after he took over. I'm just too lazy to look it up. Lol
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing the stats from the year before Wade Phillips took over the Texans defense and the year after he took over. I'm just too lazy to look it up. Lol
    2010:29th in points(427) and 30th in yards
    2011:4th in points(278) and 2nd in yards

The first season of J.J Watt was also in 2011

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

The first season of J.J Watt was also in 2011
    ha ha - we don't have anyone on the team remotely like JJ Watts

Ben will need to score us 30 pts a game again unless our weak secondary can step up

all this talk about an aggressive defense is just talk when our CB's will be put back on their 10 yd cushions because they can't man up