Thread: Did you notice when Gilbert started to play better....

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Did you notice when Gilbert started to play better....

....it was after he lost some fat. I believe they are related. I was watching some games from last year, and Gilbert was noticeably trimmer in games where he played well.

Let's hope he keeps food intake limited and exercises regularly. I have to admit I never thought he would be any good, but he has improved.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Re: Did you notice when Gilbert started to play better....

I was not a big Gilbert fan, but will willingly become one if he can continue to improve. Fat is not a offensive lineman's friend. If he has finally figure this out we could have a very good line in the future, particular if they all can stay healthy, and the backups can give us some quality depth.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I was not a big Gilbert fan, but will willingly become one if he can continue to improve. Fat is not a offensive lineman's friend. If he has finally figure this out we could have a very good line in the future, particular if they all can stay healthy, and the backups can give us some quality depth.
    I think it was Chris Collinsworth (I know you probably collectively hate him but I think he is now fair when he announces our games) noted that Gilbert was most improved player we had, and after watching him in that game, I feel that was accurate. I too have hated on Gilbert since he started to play as he was just awful; not only did he get torched in pass protection, he was constantly drawing flags and falling on and hurting other players. I have to say, when the Steelers resigned him, I thought it was a dumb move, but maybe they were right and I was wrong. Maybe it was with the addition of Munch that made the significant improvement, plus the weight loss, which may have been created by Munch telling him he needs to drop some LBs.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Lose weight or find a new career. Nobody would have picked him up considering his rookie performance and fat body.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Lose weight or find a new career. Nobody would have picked him up considering his rookie performance and fat body.
    Rookie year? He was drafted in 2011 and sucked up through 2013. I mean, he was terrible. It wasn't until after 3 years that he got decent.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    Rookie year? He was drafted in 2011 and sucked up through 2013. I mean, he was terrible. It wasn't until after 3 years that he got decent.
    And the addition of Munchak. The biggest reason for his improvement, IMHO.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I think he started to play better right before his new contract...
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I think he started to play better right before his new contract...
    Strange how that happens, eh?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

....it was after he lost some fat. I believe they are related. I was watching some games from last year, and Gilbert was noticeably trimmer in games where he played well.

Let's hope he keeps food intake limited and exercises regularly. I have to admit I never thought he would be any good, but he has improved.
    I remember a troll who used to frequent this MB who said gaining fat doesn't slow a person down...lol.

I think his play had more to do with his contract expiring. Now that he received it I wonder if the old, pussy Gilbert will show or will the new one stay?
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I see him no more than a depth body.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Strange how that happens, eh?
    Often, the opposite happens. Usually play is improved the year BEFORE a new contract is due, and then play often suffers AFTER they get that new deal, ala Woodley and so many others.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Often, the opposite happens. Usually play is improved the year BEFORE a new contract is due, and then play often suffers AFTER they get that new deal, ala Woodley and so many others.
    Well, it may not have been a full calendar year but wasn't he in significantly better shape before they offered him the new contract?

Hopefully Munchak inspires this line to play lights out...
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Thought a lot of it was technique. Was playing heavy-handed, arms dangling down, not ready to shoot. Got better throughout the year. Needs to keep working on keeping his lower half under him, have a sound base to derive power. Pushed around way too easily last year. But in general, those are things I saw him get better at throughout 2015, post-contract, after a brutal start to the season when I have him credited for allowing three sacks.