Thread: St. Louis Cardinals Investigated by F.B.I. for Hacking Astros

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

St. Louis Cardinals Investigated by F.B.I. for Hacking Astros

WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. and Justice Department prosecutors are investigating front-office officials for the St. Louis Cardinals, one of the most successful teams in baseball over the past two decades, for hacking into the internal networks of a rival team to steal closely guarded information about player personnel.

Investigators have uncovered evidence that Cardinals officials broke into a network of the Houston Astros that housed special databases the team had built, according to law enforcement officials. Internal discussions about trades, proprietary statistics and scouting reports were compromised, the officials said.

The officials did not say which employees were the focus of the investigation or whether the team’s highest-ranking officials were aware of the hacking or authorized it. The investigation is being led by the F.B.I.’s Houston field office and has progressed to the point that subpoenas have been served on the Cardinals and Major League Baseball for electronic correspondence.

The attack represents the first known case of corporate espionage in which a professional sports team has hacked the network of another team. Illegal intrusions into companies’ networks have become commonplace, but it is generally conducted by hackers operating in foreign countries, like Russia and China, who steal large tranches of data or trade secrets for military equipment and electronics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/sp...id=tw-bna&_r=0

- - - Updated - - -

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: St. Louis Cardinals Investigated by F.B.I. for Hacking Astros

I hate the Cardinals*

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Wow...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

In a related story, the hacker is now employed by the New England Cheatriots.

The Cheatriots are clarifying with Roger if hacking goes against the NFL shield.

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Man, just when baseball was making strides. I really like a lot of the things the new commish is doing but this will tarnish MLB's image for a long time if true.

Aside from that...WTH are you doing hacking the ASTROS?!!!?? That's basically like the Packers stealing from the Browns.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    Man, just when baseball was making strides. I really like a lot of the things the new commish is doing but this will tarnish MLB's image for a long time if true.

Aside from that...WTH are you doing hacking the ASTROS?!!!?? That's basically like the Packers stealing from the Browns.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Robert Kraft bought the Cardinals?

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Robert Kraft bought the Cardinals?
    Bill Bellarussa was the manager at the time....

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Pretty typical of the "news" that gets reported now. I have to laugh at the use of the terms "corporate espionage" and "hacking" in this case.

Everything that I've heard points to someone on the Cardinals staff, of which Jeff Luhnow used to work for, logged in to the Astros site using Luhnow's account.

It sounds to me like someone holding a personal grudge against Luhnow or someone just completely screwing around and Luhnow using the same password that he used to use with the Cardinals.

That doesn't make it right in either case but "corporate espionage" is way over the top.

Whoever did it should be fired but to even think that the Cardinals would be trying to gain some type of competitive advantage in this case is laughable at best.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar