Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The over-under in wins for Pgh is 8.5

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: The over-under in wins for Pgh is 8.5

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    You forgot to pepper your post with "um's".
    um, obviously...

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

We usually play down or up to our competition. And since we got the toughest schedule of 'em all, i go with the over. If we get Pouncey back in Week 11, i could see us win out. Not because of defense, but by hangig up 50 points and more on the opponent.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The defense is just showing nothing out there...nothing. No signs of progress, no signs of life...other than Shazier...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

11-5 the defense worries me.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I think the defense will straighten up to a large extent if a couple things happen.

1. Timmons returns from the turf toe injury at full strength early in the season. He's the rock in the middle. Needed for leadership and skill. I haven't seen anything to indicate the Steelers are overly concerned about the long term effects of his current injury. But at the same token I haven't seen anything to completely dismiss it either. We all know turf toe ended Lambert's career, and more recently Timmons draft class mate Patrick Willis. So if it's a serious case of turf toe we could be in major trouble here.

To a lesser extent we also need a healthy Tuitt. And of course we have to hope the Steelers don't stubbornly keep Jarvis Jones the line up over James Harrison unless he actually earns it.

2. Pull the plug on Shararko. He makes everyone on the field worse. Has no ability to cove and an even worse grasp on any known defensive scheme the Steelers have attempted t deploy this preseason. From what I can see outside of special teams this guy has no value. There was a reason LeBeau wouldn't put this guy on the field last year. The Steelers can't waste games trying to justify already wasted draft picks.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I'll take the over... way over.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I'll go with the over just because I believe in this offense, and the league is an offensive league.

I think the defense will straighten out once the season starts and starters are actually playing instead of a bunch of backups mixed in. Hopefully the coaches see that Shamarko isn't a starting or even immediate backup in this league and put Allen in across from Mitchell...and then draft a S next season. Hell, I would be okay with playing rookie CB Doran Grant at S in a pinch over Shamarko.

I say the Steelers win at least 10 games this season.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The way Goodell runs the league...it is very offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    1. Timmons returns from the turf toe injury at full strength early in the season. He's the rock in the middle. Needed for leadership and skill. I haven't seen anything to indicate the Steelers are overly concerned about the long term effects of his current injury. But at the same token I haven't seen anything to completely dismiss it either. We all know turf toe ended Lambert's career, and more recently Timmons draft class mate Patrick Willis. So if it's a serious case of turf toe we could be in major trouble here.
    I disagree. MLB is basically our strongest defensive position. The issue right now is that even Timmons backup (Vince Williams) has been out as well. So I think you are right in that we have a hole there due to injury but if Timmons had to go we are still pretty solid there if not quite as good.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    I disagree. MLB is basically our strongest defensive position. The issue right now is that even Timmons backup (Vince Williams) has been out as well. So I think you are right in that we have a hole there due to injury but if Timmons had to go we are still pretty solid there if not quite as good.
    You make a good point. But I still think Timmons has value that can't just be measured by tackles, pressures, and good reads and drops into coverage. He's one of the leaders of that defense. Including making last second defensive adjustments on the field. His would be a huge loss if it's for a good portion of the season. Though that's one of the rare area's we have some quality depth.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The way Goodell runs the league...it is very offensive.
    the way our defense is playing right now...it is very offensive.