Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Western Pa. home to Hall of Fame QBs

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Western Pa. home to Hall of Fame QBs

An amazing six Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterbacks are from Western Pennsylvania.

It was a gathering that never happened before, one that came about because of a shared bond that never can be broken, a bond that goes back to their roots in Western Pennsylvania.

Western Pennsylvania is home to some of the best ever to play in the National Football League. And when it comes to quarterbacks, nothing can compare to the group that emerged from the area............

read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article...2-0a53f1be11ca

http://www.steelers.com/videos/video...r=146175949904

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: Western Pa. home to Hall of Fame QBs

Shame that not one of them was in the Black and Gold.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Still, very cool they were honored by the Steelers.

On a side note.....Dan Marino played basketball in 1977 for Greensburg Central Catholic high school. Our boys basketball team beat them in the playoffs on our way to the state championship. Dan Marino is listed on the team roster in the yellowed newspaper clipping in a scrap book of a good friend of mine and played against him. Who knew?

He always choked in the big games.

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

I don't think we will see that trend continue. WPA is no longer king of football, like when these guys were in high school. FL and TX now rule youth football.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    On a side note.....Dan Marino played basketball in 1977 for Greensburg Central Catholic high school. Our boys basketball team beat them in the playoffs on our way to the state championship. Dan Marino is listed on the team roster in the yellowed newspaper clipping in a scrap book of a good friend of mine and played against him. Who knew?

He always choked in the big games.
    Like Elway for most of his career, Marino was pretty much the only reason his team ever played in any big games.

Quick, without Googling, name a couple of Marino's RBs, or a few of his WRs outside of Duper and Clayton.

Yeah, I can't seem to do it either...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Like Elway for most of his career, Marino was pretty much the only reason his team ever played in any big games.

Quick, without Googling, name a couple of Marino's RBs, or a few of his WRs outside of Duper and Clayton.

This

Just have to look the Super Bowl that Marino played, Marino had almost no chance to win this game since the 49ers had 211 rushing yards, only 25 for the dolphins!

And several of his playoff games were like that and the running game was very important at this time.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    This

Just have to look the Super Bowl that Marino played, Marino had almost no chance to win this game since the 49ers had 211 rushing yards, only 25 for the dolphins
    Not to mention a defense that ranked in the bottom half of the league...

You're right, PB, Marino had no chance in that SB.

I also still vividly remember him lighting up the '85 Bears defense on Monday Night Football and ruining their shot at a perfect record. Nobody else did that, including Montana whose 49ers got smoked at Candlestick by the Bears earlier that season.

I can, only because one of my best friends is a Fin fan, and he laments all the time over how bad their RBs were. Mark Higgs, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Hampton, Terry Kirby, One guy they got from Denver - they weren't all terrible. Matter of fact, Marino's super exaggerated hand off delivery may have kept their rushing game so mediocre. You can see the hand off coming a mile away. As far as naming a WR other than the Mark brother, Irvin Fryar comes to mind. He was really very good (came from Pat I believe, where he was a high first round pick.)

Keith Byers was a good back, catching passes out of the backfield.

My big question is how come Shula could never build a D in the Marino years, after having done so his whole career before Marino?

7 times during the career of Marino in the playoffs,the dolphins have given up over 200 rushing yards...Another time it was 180 rushing yards and another time, his defense has given 44 points in a 44-34 loss

And in many of its games, the dolphins had not have 50 rushing yards

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Always great distinction for Western PA, even if Namath was overrated

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Karim Abdul Jabaar is the only one I remember because of his name

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quick, without Googling, name a couple of Marino's WRs outside of Duper and Clayton.
    O J McDuffie is the only other one I can think of and that's only because I've always been a Penn St fan...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

RB *Sammie Smith, the fumble machine the Dolphins traded to Denver for their fumble machine. Both were out of the league next season.

I think it would have been cool to dig up Johnny Unitas and prop him up with a couple of broom handles. Pose him in uniform with a helmet on and sell tickets.

All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    O J McDuffie is the only other one I can think of and that's only because I've always been a Penn St fan...
    McDuffie was my first guess. Nat Moore or Jim Jensen? Lol. Would Jensen count?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    McDuffie was my first guess. Nat Moore or Jim Jensen? Lol. Would Jensen count?

Hard to forget Irvin Fryar. He was a stud. I remember McDuffie, more of a possession type WR. Now I went ahead and cheated. Sammie Smith was another back. Crash Jensen was a WR and Tony Martin. Mark Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    Hard to forget Irvin Fryar. He was a stud.
    yeah, Irving Fryar made a bunch of Pro Bowls in his career and played 3 seasons with the Dolphins. but when I hear Fryar's name I think of him more as being a New England Patriot*...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Arguably 3 of the top 5 quarterbacks in NFL history.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...rterbacks-ever
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Kittyfish is a glorious beacon of light"> Kittyfish's Avatar

I live about ten miles from Jim Kelly's hometown of East Brady and have a friend who lives there. They have renamed their Main Street after him, though apparently he was considered somewhat of a "pinhead" by those who knew him back in the day, and some people are upset that he didn't "give back" enough, though I'm not quite sure exactly what they expected him to do. I say even if he was a raging a-hole, I would completely understand. Imagine growing up in a small town while being so incredibly adept at a skill very few can compete at on a high level, being nurtured and lauded and courted and catered to for most of your life. Most 17 year olds are pinheads anyway and would be insufferable given half a chance, even if they weren't really good at doing something that was so highly specialized that there aren't 50 people in the whole US who can do it as well as you. I am quite sure life and it's hardships have humbled him quite sufficiently by now. Never mind his health troubles and his son's illness, just getting to the Super Bowl four years in a row and never winning would take the air out of anyone's sails. What a heartbreaker for the Bills and their fans. I am happy to hear he is doing pretty well now.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

yeah, Irving Fryar made a bunch of Pro Bowls in his career and played 3 seasons with the Dolphins. but when I hear Fryar's name I think of him more as being a New England Patriot*...
    Agree.

Namath is only remembered because of one game. The guy threw almost 50 more INTs than TDs in his career, after all. Hell, despite the horrible start to his career and the 20+ INT seasons toward the end of it, even Bradshaw came out on the plus side of that ledger.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Namath is only remembered because of one game. The guy threw almost 50 more INTs than TDs in his career, after all. Hell, despite the horrible start to his career and the 20+ INT seasons toward the end of it, even Bradshaw came out on the plus side of that ledger.

Not just that......

"I couldn't care less about the team strugg-a-ling..."

"He's not a thrower, he's a passer..."

My favorite interview clip behind "PLAYOFFS!?!?"

Theismann: "Joe's just a happy guy!"

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    My favorite interview clip behind "PLAYOFFS!?!?"
    "In my opinion, that sucked!"

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    I know he is not there for this pic, but wasn't Johnny U a Steeler at one time?

Theismann: "Joe's just a happy guy!"

"In my opinion, that sucked!"

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    I know he is not there for this pic, but wasn't Johnny U a Steeler at one time?

"I wanna kiss you." How embarrassing.