Thread: Steelers' defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers' defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential

Jarvis Jones doesn't care what “outsiders” are saying about the Steelers' defense.

Lawrence Timmons thinks they are good right now.

And Steve McLendon took exception to the thought of the unit still being a ways away from becoming dominant again.

If nothing else was revealed during the first week of Steelers organized team activities, it was that the much-maligned and heavily scrutinized defense that struggled at times for the second straight year isn't lacking confidence.............

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Re: Steelers' defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential

They should shut up and let their play do their talking. These guys act like there is no reason to question the quality of the D. They were near dead last in a lot of crucial areas. Didn't they give up the most big plays of any D in the league, plays of over 40 yards?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    They should shut up and let their play do their talking. These guys act like there is no reason to question the quality of the D. They were near dead last in a lot of crucial areas. Didn't they give up the most big plays of any D in the league, plays of over 40 yards?
    Not sure, but they allowed 3rd-and-12 (and longer) situations to be converted into first downs with maddening regularity. But that's actually been a problem for several years now.

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Not sure, but they allowed 3rd-and-12 (and longer) situations to be converted into first downs with maddening regularity. But that's actually been a problem for several years now.
    True, and that is bizarre because LeBeau's first priority (according to him) is to prevent the big play, which is why the CBs play so far off the WR so often. But yet, even with this as a priority, his Ds are infamous for giving up 1st downs on 3rd and long. They appear, to the naked eye, to be about the worst D in giving up 1st downs on 3rd and long. Anyone have any idea why?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

That drove me crayzeee!!!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Against the ravens in the playoffs the 3rd and long have been a major problem, but for the 3rd down in general last year in regular season, it was not a big problem

They were in the top 10 for the 3rd down defense last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...sition/defense

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

They were also ranked 6th in the league against the run last season, but that's a deceiving stat too...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

To continue, one of the problem of the defense, it was the opponent was rarely in 3rd down!

The opponents have been on 3rd down only 189 times, which was the lowest in the NFL!

- - - Updated - - -

They were also ranked 6th in the league against the run last season, but that's a deceiving stat too...
    I agree that sometimes the stats are misleading....The reason why the Steelers finished only 18ieme for yards and Points allowed,it was because the defense was the 2nd least often in the field last year

Junior Member Array title="Da bus is an unknown quantity at this point">

I think injuries effected our defense last year. More so then other years. I also believe that Troy held us back. As much as I love what he brought to the organization, he was slow and bc he was slow, took bad angles and missed a ton of tackles and gave up a lot of big plays. With another year under the belt of our front 7 young players, I believe the defense can do pretty well. I'm hoping that Mitchell truly was hurt as badly as he is now saying bc if he was, he should be able to play at a much higher level. Although we do have a tough schedule, a closer look shows we play very few teams w elite pass offenses. The colts, pats and broncos are the only teams we face w elite passing games. We get the pats without Brady and play the broncos at the end of December, where Peyton is not the same player. Our secondary, although pretty bad, should be able to hold its own on most weeks based on the schedule.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It's not noise, it's quiet laughing by others at what a big drop in performance the D turned in. Rightly so. Keep your mouth shut and do your job should be their motto.
    Last edited by ALLD; 05-31-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Agree...just shut up, put your head down, go to work and produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler