Thread: Jarvis Jones still dealing with wrist injury

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Jarvis Jones still dealing with wrist injury

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...#axzz3bUeZH5Jg

Rehabbing a wrist and being a pass-rushing linebacker in the NFL is a tricky proposition. If Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones didn’t figure that out last year when he came back from a dislocated wrist that required surgery only after 10 weeks, he sure does now.
    The Steelers finished the first week of organized team activities on the South Side on Thursday and Jones revealed afterward that he is still dealing with some minor issues with his wrist.
    “It was a serious injury and I am still rehabbing it and everything but I still have some strength and motion and mobility stuff I am working on with it,” Jones said.
    The Steelers are counting on Jones to take over the full-time role as right outside linebacker even though James Harrison was re-signed in the offseason.
    Jones appeared to be well on his way of having a solid second year in the league a season ago. Jones had two sacks in 56 pass rushes and also forced a fumble before dislocating his wrist on possibly his most disruptive play of his career.
    Jones sacked Carolina quarterback Cam Newton and forced a fumble early in the third quarter of a 9-3 game. The Steelers turned it into a touchdown and went on to a 37-19 road win.
    Jones spent the next 10 weeks on the injured reserve/designated to return list before coming back for a Week 14 game against the Bengals, where he split snaps with Arthur Moats.
    After Harrison returned in Week 16, Jones rarely got on the field. Jones played 16 snaps over the final three games to cap a second unproductive season.
    I'm real curious to see if Jones was still able to life heavy weights this off season with his recovering injured wrist.

Lifting weights with a weak, strained wrist ain't no joke. You lose a lot of power. I tweaked my wrist the other week and had to curtail the heavy lifting for a couple weeks.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Jarvis Jones still dealing with wrist injury

Here come the excuses already...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Here come the excuses already...
    I'll take a wait and see approach. From what I've seen in pictures at least, it does appear that Jarvis has added some bulk (in a good way)

It wouldn't surprise me if this was taken out of context by the media. If the injury basically put him out for the season, then it could be a case very similar to a knee injury in terms of rehab. I'd rather him be cautious now as opposed to being an ass and injuring it again.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Out of context was my first thought as well...I'm hoping for the best with this kid...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post
    I'll take a wait and see approach. From what I've seen in pictures at least, it does appear that Jarvis has added some bulk (in a good way)

It wouldn't surprise me if this was taken out of context by the media. If the injury basically put him out for the season, then it could be a case very similar to a knee injury in terms of rehab. I'd rather him be cautious now as opposed to being an ass and injuring it again.
    Any pics of this added bulk? I Googled a bit, but I couldn't find any that show him to be any bigger. Whether he is bigger or the same is irrelevant as long as he is stronger : )

So far Jones looks like a failing project.
    Hater = Realist

There's a black and white picture in one of these threads and he looks a bit larger than normal.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    How can one rate him a "failing project" when Jones had an unavoidable injury that set his WAY progress back ?

Most all NFL/NHL Injuries are like wrecked cars in NASCAR. How's Smoke supposed to keep his car from getting smashed up occasionally ?

He can't and NFL/NHL players just get injured.

It's all shitty luck and nothing else.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    How can one rate him a "failing project" when Jones had an unavoidable injury that set his WAY progress back ?

Most all NFL/NHL Injuries are like wrecked cars in NASCAR. How's Smoke supposed to keep his car from getting smashed up occasionally ?

He can't and NFL/NHL players just get injured.

It's all shitty luck and nothing else.
    By watching the games. You can make all of the Woodley-like excuses you want, but Jones' play on the field has shown him to be lacking in many areas.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

By watching the games. You can make all of the Woodley-like excuses you want, but Jones' play on the field has shown him to be lacking in many areas.
    you mean the first 3 games of last season before he got injured?

the 3 games where Jones recorded 2 sacks, which if you were to extrapolate that out to a 16 game season would come out to a little over 10 sacks?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

the 3 games where Jones recorded 2 sacks, which if you were to extrapolate that out to a 16 game season would come out to a little over 10 sacks?
    And the Woodley excuses begin. Did you see the two sacks?

So those are the only games he has played in? Can you not see his lack of strength, speed and technique? Even his understanding of the game looks subpar.

Yes, so far he is looking like a failure. Do you feel he is looking like a success?

Also, as I have said to be many people who would defend Woodley, there is more to be OLB than sacks

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

And the Woodley excuses begin. Did you see the two sacks?

So those are the only games he has played in? Can you not see his lack of strength, speed and technique? Even his understanding of the game looks subpar.

Yes, so far he is looking like a failure. Do you feel he is looking like a success?

Also, as I have said to be many people who would defend Woodley, there is more to be OLB than sacks
    I think we should give Jones one more season at least to prove himself, especially when you consider he was injured for the majority of last season...

I think we should give Jones one more season at least to prove himself, especially when you consider he was injured for the majority of last season...
    I agree. I hope he does a 180 and destroys offenses.
    Last edited by Steeldude; 05-30-2015 at 02:42 AM.
    Hater = Realist

Any pics of this added bulk? I Googled a bit, but I couldn't find any that show him to be any bigger. Whether he is bigger or the same is irrelevant as long as he is stronger : )

Gerry Dulac: I look at their skill set -- their speed, their agility, their hands, their movements, etc. I also look to see if certain guys got bigger, like Jarvis Jones and Ryan Shazier. And they did. Otherwise, I don't put stock really in anything I see in OTAs.

Zack: Jarvis Jones, Did he look stronger or bigger?

Gerry Dulac: Can't tell about stronger. Won't know that until they put on pads and he has to go against an offensive lineman. But he looks bigger -- thicker in the upper torso. I didn't think that at all last year when he reported for his second season.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201505280219

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

It's time to shut up about Jarvis Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    It's time to shut up about Jarvis Jones.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Found this pic from OTAs. He looks thicker through the upper torso...at least I think so.

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Yes, but Jones had very few hurries on opposing QB in his three games.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...4-performance/

And I saw an article on steelersdepot that Jones was very bad against the run

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...s-run-defense/