Thread: Steelers defense beginning to take shape under Butler

Steelers defense beginning to take shape under Butler

Steelers defense beginning to take shape under Butler

Posted 20 hours ago
    By Mike Prisuta

For the Steelers defense, it's about next man up, on the field and off.

The issue for the Steelers’ defense is uncertainty more than it is unfamiliarity.

Keith Butler has replaced Dick LeBeau as the defensive coordinator, but Butler has been on the staff since 2003 and the anticipation is he’ll do little more than tweak the scheme.

“‘Coach Butz’ is going to keep it the same for the most part,” defensive end Cam Heyward suggested after OTA No. 2. “I guess it’s just bringing the young guys up and making sure they’re up to speed and able to play fast on Sundays.

Even in the event Butler decides to drastically alter the X’s & O’s, “it’s just football,” outside linebacker Arthur Moats maintained. “It doesn’t matter how you draw it up, it’s still going to be the same football.

For the Steelers, it’s the collection of guys doing the playing that remains more in transition

read more at http://www.steelers.com/news/article...e-52f75389965e
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Re: Steelers defense beginning to take shape under Butler

If he simplifies it, he will have good results. So many times, when a new coordinator comes in and succeeds, the difference is often that they simplified the thing. Not having to overthink it and just react makes for a better D.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The simpler the better if the team executes. We know what happens with fancy play calls on offense when they blow up half the time and everybody watching has that WTF look on their faces.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    The simpler the better if the team executes. We know what happens with fancy play calls on offense when they blow up half the time and everybody watching has that WTF look on their faces.
    I really hope we don't have to "start all over again" with Haley realizing that two many gimmick, bubble screen plays take away from what makes us good. If you recall, last year started with the O mostly looking like crap, from all the Haley play calls. It wasn't until the season progressed that they started to just let Ben, Brown and Bell do what they do, and the O got cranked up. If we go back to endless bubble screens I am going to lose my mind.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    If we go back to endless bubble screens I am going to lose my mind.
    We all will. I have no worries. Our offense is gonna be rockin'!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Ike Taylor: “Keith Butler Has A Good Gameplan”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/06...good-gameplan/

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I really hope we don't have to "start all over again" with Haley realizing that two many gimmick, bubble screen plays take away from what makes us good. If you recall, last year started with the O mostly looking like crap, from all the Haley play calls. It wasn't until the season progressed that they started to just let Ben, Brown and Bell do what they do, and the O got cranked up. If we go back to endless bubble screens I am going to lose my mind.
    Agree

I prefer to see the ball in the hands of Brown, Bell, Ben and Bryant than see Haley wasting his time with his trick play with Archer!!!

I'll lose my mind if it's true that Haley will use Archer 5-6 play per game!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Agree

I prefer to see the ball in the hands of Brown, Bell, Ben and Bryant than see Haley wasting his time with his trick play with Archer!!!

I won't care he does use him 5-6 x and they WORK! But if they are wasted plays for the most part, no bueno.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

hopefully those plays will involve using Archer as a decoy or getting him out into space and not runs up the middle like last season...

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    hopefully those plays will involve using Archer as a decoy or getting him out into space and not runs up the middle like last season...
    If they try running him up the middle more than a few times, he will be broken, so that will be that. No way can a 160-lbs RB withstand rushing up the middle in the NFL. He will get killed.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

TeeTee

I really hope we don't have to "start all over again" with Haley realizing that two many gimmick, bubble screen plays take away from what makes us good.

If you recall, last year started with the O mostly looking like crap, from all the Haley play calls. It wasn't until the season progressed that they started to just let Ben, Brown and Bell do what they do, and the O got cranked up.

If we go back to endless bubble screens I am going to lose my mind.

With the strength of our line and receiving corps I think the bubble screen can be done very effectively.

Steelers Averaging 3.6 Wide Receiver Screens Per Game Heading Into Week 6

For several years now, fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers have criticized the use of wide receiver screens when it comes to talking about the offense. That criticism is not unique to offensive coordinator Todd Haley, however, as Bruce Arians was also heavily ridiculed for using wide receiver screens during his time with the Steelers.

After the Steelers beat the Jacksonville Jaguars this past Sunday, a reader emailed me to tell me that he’s tired of Haley calling so many wide receiver screens during the game. He went on to say that Haley calls those screens at least six or seven times a game.

So just how many wide receiver screens have been called so far this season?

After going through our own game charting and double checking on NFL Game Rewind, I have identified 18 plays that were either a smoke, bubble or tunnel screen to a wide receiver.

That works out to 3.6 wide receiver screens a game.

Being as the Steelers have run a total of 330 plays so far this season on offense, that works out to one wide receiver screen per every 18.3 plays.

I’m sure you’re all curious as to how effective those plays were.

Three of those passes were incomplete while the other 15 resulted in 106 yards gained. That’s an average of 7.07 yards per completion, but that number is inflated thanks to one of the passes completed to wide receiver Antonio Brown back in Week 1 going for 41 yards. If you subtract that one explosive play, that leaves an average of 4.64 yards on the other 14 completions.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/10...eading-week-6/
    Basically it was about the same average yield as a handoff through first six games (excluding drops).

Not great but if you do bubble screens don't defenses tend to play closer? With 4 deep threat WR's I would think mixing it up will keep the defense on their heels.

Would love to see what this stat was for the whole year and predict it will be better this year.
    Last edited by GBMelBlount; 06-09-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Did the person who came up with the headline read the article. I see no indication that the D is "taking shape" at this point. If anything, it seems the players have no idea what changes will be going down. Not faulting that in June, but the headline seems inaccurate.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Did the person who came up with the headline read the article. I see no indication that the D is "taking shape" at this point. If anything, it seems the players have no idea what changes will be going down. Not faulting that in June, but the headline seems inaccurate.
    You mean the author of the article? That's where the headline came from.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    With the strength of our line and receiving corps I think the bubble screen can be done very effectively.

Basically it was about the same average yield as a handoff through first six games (excluding drops).

Would love to see what this stat was for the whole year and predict it will be better this year.
    Interesting stat. There was another recent article were the author talked about how all the short stuff that everyone hates from Haley set up a great deal of the plays everyone likes later in the game. Plus, unless the Steelers are set up far differently then other NFL teams, many of those "smoke" calls are likely made by Ben and Brown at the line of scrimmage based on defensive alignment.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Yes, as long as you don't throw to a 34 year old Hines Ward or 32 year old Jerrico Cotchery behind a Sean Mahan/Justin Hartwig/Darnell Stapleton/Jonathan Scott/Trai Essex line

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    You mean the author of the article? That's where the headline came from.
    Exactly. That who I am talking about. Their title hardly matches the content.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Hopefully this headline holds true during the season. Wouldn't mind seeing us at 8-4 or 9-3 and both units in the top 10 by week 12 of the season. Then begin the push for the playoffs.

Alex Kozora retweeted
    Chris Adamski ‏@C_AdamskiTrib -

Steelers d-coordinator Keith Butler will call games from the sidelines.
    "I am not about to go upstairs. I did that one time, and I hated it"

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler