Thread: What Is The Coffin Corner?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What Is The Coffin Corner?

For those that may be wondering, the phrase "Coffin Corner" is a strategy that a Punter or team will use to try to pin an opposing team as close to their own end zone as possible. This type of punt also serves the purpose to limit the chance of a punt return.

This is more of a directional kicking strategy than the "hang time and distance" strategy.

Maybe it's just me, but I really feel like this has become a lost art in the kicking game. You don't really see or hear about the coffin corner strategy anymore...maybe because of the influx of the Australian Kickers? Maybe because of the strength of the modern kicker? I'm not sure...but it seems like the days of Ray Guy, Oakland Raiders Punter and Coffin Corner Master are long gone...

Here's a video example:

http://youtu.be/6Yz4nVR8FYs

http://youtu.be/hv4aJaiOji0

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: What Is The Coffin Corner?

This term was used alot in the 70s. Now, you never hear it.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I'm not sure...but it seems like the days of Ray Guy, Oakland Raiders Punter and Coffin Corner Master are long gone...
    Same here - and that's probably why...there aren't any punters like Ray Guy around nowadays. Guy is the only true punter in the HoF for a reason.

Here's a good written explanation of the concept:

The coffin corner kick is a rarely used strategy in modern football. Rather than focusing on hang time and distance, it focuses on precise directional kicking. An ideal coffin corner kick crosses the sideline at a spot as close as possible to the end zone without going into the end zone. An effective coffin corner punt forces the opposing offense to go the length of the field by itself. Few punters still use this tactic due to the emphasis placed on long, high kicks down the field.
    http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictio...in-corner.aspx

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Madden still uses the term (or did in the 07 version of the game).

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

In a couple of those Madden games, they had some skill competitions that included trying to nail the coffin corner with punts. I forget what seasons they were...maybe 2011 and 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler