Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

  1. #1
    Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Gender
    Posts
    22,555

    New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Welcome to our new "Pigskin University" subforum. Its purpose is for folks to ask (and answer) questions about the rules of football or about the nuances of the game itself.

    And remember, the only "dumb" question is the one that isn't asked!
    Last edited by stillers4me; 05-17-2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: minor typo

  2. #2
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    32,070

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Great idea!!




  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="Godfather has much to be proud of">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Posts
    3,358

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Agree, this is an awesome idea. It can kind of be a "Football 301" since everyone here already has a basic knowledge of football.

  4. #4
    Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Treasure Coast
    Posts
    11,001

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Question #1:

    If a football deflates behind closed doors and nobody from the office sees it, did it still happen?
    All Defense!

  5. #5

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Agree, this is an awesome idea. It can kind of be a "Football 301" since everyone here already has a basic knowledge of football.
    Not necessarily. There are pretty basic football concepts that a lot of fans struggle with.

    How many and what kind of routes make up the route tree?

    What is the difference between an X, Y, and Z receiver?

    What is the difference between a three technique and a five technique?

    Terms like: Coffin corner...Naked bootleg....Falcon...etc

    We take for granted that everyone understands those terms when in truth some of those things may be confusing to fans.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

    -- Jack Lambert --

  6. #6
    Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Gender
    Posts
    22,555

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    How many and what kind of routes make up the route tree?

    What is the difference between an X, Y, and Z receiver?

    What is the difference between a three technique and a five technique?

    Terms like: Coffin corner...Naked bootleg....Falcon...etc.



  7. #7
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    32,070




  8. #8
    Super Moderator Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shitzinnati
    Gender
    Posts
    22,927

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    I'm lost already.


    "The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That’s real glory."
    - Vince Lombardi




  9. #9

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    The route tree and pictures on that thread are fantastic.

    I didn't read the article ...does it talk about the receiver "reading" the defense? I ask because during Brown and Sanders rookie year there were some grumblings about them having to run a simplified tree because they had to adjust to reading pro defenses and taking advantage of mismatches or sacrificing stats to open up zones/lanes for other receivers. I love the "chess match" of how offensive coordinators open up those zones/lanes...especially if defenses are playing man to man.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

    -- Jack Lambert --

  10. #10
    Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    16,229

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post





  11. #11
    #Shalieve Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Gender
    Posts
    4,390

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Google must be hard for some folks.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    6,045

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Thread killer....

  13. #13

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    Google must be hard for some folks.
    Well...if there is a topic that is Steelers specific...or if a poster doesn't know the name of a rule to look it up. They can ask here without fear of being made fun of or clogging another thread that isn't relevant.

    For instance....terms like "air raid" or "rag doll" are used in everyday language but when talking specifically about football it takes on a different meaning. If one of members hears that term on Sunday...instead of sorting through a google search they can simply ask the forum.

    Or.....when asking about a "X" receiver (for example)...instead of getting a generic google response...they can be given specifics about OUR offense and who to watch for on gamedays.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

    -- Jack Lambert --

  14. #14
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    32,070

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    The route tree and pictures on that thread are fantastic.

    I didn't read the article ...does it talk about the receiver "reading" the defense? I ask because during Brown and Sanders rookie year there were some grumblings about them having to run a simplified tree because they had to adjust to reading pro defenses and taking advantage of mismatches or sacrificing stats to open up zones/lanes for other receivers. I love the "chess match" of how offensive coordinators open up those zones/lanes...especially if defenses are playing man to man.
    It describes each route and then tells you what the receivers most likely run from formations. I found that article a couple years ago...I like referencing it every now and again.




  15. #15

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It describes each route and then tells you what the receivers most likely run from formations. I found that article a couple years ago...I like referencing it every now and again.
    Great reference...You can imagine from the pics how Ben might see something in the defense that make him call an audible to take advantage of the alignment or to create a mismatch with a linebacker on receiver.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

    -- Jack Lambert --

  16. #16
    Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: New Subforum - Pigskin U.

    I think this subsection is a great idea.

    Nice post!
    PATRIOTS**
    BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled




    HTG ¤-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •