Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Stab at 53 Man Roster

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Early Stab at 53 Man Roster

Obviously its early. Some comments:

- I expect all rookies drafted in secondary to make the team; Chickillo will battle Lemon for a spot but expect him to make practice squad this yr
    - Landry and Boyd will fight for 3rd string QB; Landry has edge because he's more familiar with offense
    - DHB should make team based on special teams play and experience
    - James, Blanchflower and Egnew will fight for 3rd TE spot
    - one or possibly two of the rookie free agent offensive linemen should make the final 53 roster
    - I predict Geathers will move Cam Thomas off the team. anyways - there are 2 spots between these 4 players (Hemer, Thomas, Geathers & Walton)
    - who knows who will win the punter battle - I penciled in Wing for now

QB 3 - Ben, Gradkowski, Landry
    RB 3 - Bell, Williams, Archer
    WR 5 - AB, Bryant, Wheaton, Coates (r), DHB
    TE 3 - Miller, Spaeth, James (r)
    OL 9 - Beachum, DeCastro, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert, Adams, Wallace, Hubbard, Villanueva, BJ Finney (rfa)

DL 6 - Heyward, Tuitt, McClendon, McCullers, Hemer, Geathers
    OLB 5 - Jones, Dupree (r), Moats, Harrison, Lemon
    ILB 4 - Timmons, Shazier, Spence, Williams
    CB 5 - Gay, C Allen, Golson (r), Grant (r), Blake
    S 5 - Thomas, Mitchell, W Allen, Golden, Holliman (r)

ST 3 - Suisham, Warren, Wing

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Early Stab at 53 Man Roster

As good a guess as any.

Someone on the coaching staff/FO obviously has a hard-on for Cam Thomas, so I'm guessing he'll unfortunately be on the roster at the expense of one of the last two DLs on your list.

If James can unseat Palmer as the last of the true garbage TEs, that would be awesome. If he's really still too raw, I'd put Blanchflower there.

It would be nice if Josh Harris got on there as the fourth RB; my guess is he will make it when the inevitable random preseason injury puts someone out until midseason or the entire season.

I don't know why we bother keeping three QBs on the active roster when we never dress more than two for a game, and when the third guy is Landry Jones you might as well not have a third QB and if both your QBs get injured, bring Charlie Batch or Byron Leftwich out of retirement, or get a street free agent for the next week.

That list is only 51 players, so here's hoping Harris makes it ... would be nice if one of our rookie DLs made it too, but it'll probably be Thomas. Oh well, maybe he'll be the one with the preseason injury.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Member Array title="Pete The Greek is an unknown quantity at this point"> Pete The Greek's Avatar

If Landry shows no improvement, which is not much to begin, time to cut bait.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Really don't understand the need to carry 3 QBs. Time to change the paradigm and go with 2. Free up another spot for a back up long snapper.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post

OL 9 - Beachum, DeCastro, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert, Adams, Wallace, Hubbard, Villanueva, BJ Finney (rfa)

Where is the FB Will Johnson?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Really don't understand the need to carry 3 QBs. Time to change the paradigm and go with 2. Free up another spot for a back up long snapper.

Speaking of this, two things I've always wished we'd do:

- Why not teach your backup center, or at least one of your backup linemen, to be a long snapper as well? I'm not advocating doing that to avoid carrying a real long snapper, but man, if anything happens to the long snapper it'd be nice to have some semblance of a backup plan other than having a guy who used to do it in high school fling the ball out the back of the end zone. Really doesn't even have to be a lineman; even one of your backup special teams guys could do it. A center just seems like he might be more natural. You would also think a backup would be pretty eager to learn something like that, which would give the team a lot more reason to keep him around.

- It would also be great if the holder on placekicks was not the punter, but someone who could actually run with and/or throw the ball. Fakes would be 10 times more effective, not to mention when there's a bad snap, you might have a chance of something better than weakly running at 1/10 the speed of the other players and then getting dogpiled. In the '80s and '90s they always used to have backup quarterbacks be the holder; I don't know how much more difficult it's gotten, but come on.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

Obviously its early. Some comments:

- I expect all rookies drafted in secondary to make the team; Chickillo will battle Lemon for a spot but expect him to make practice squad this yr
    - Landry and Boyd will fight for 3rd string QB; Landry has edge because he's more familiar with offense
    - DHB should make team based on special teams play and experience
    - James, Blanchflower and Egnew will fight for 3rd TE spot
    - one or possibly two of the rookie free agent offensive linemen should make the final 53 roster
    - I predict Geathers will move Cam Thomas off the team. anyways - there are 2 spots between these 4 players (Hemer, Thomas, Geathers & Walton)
    - who knows who will win the punter battle - I penciled in Wing for now

Will Johnson makes the team so goodbye BJ Finney. I think we go after Alex Carrington and if so Ill take him over Geathers. Holliman is off and replaced with Josh Harris, as we will need 4 rbs to start the season due to Bell's suspension.

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

Forget what I said about Carrington he just resigned with Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
    Will Johnson makes the team so goodbye BJ Finney. I think we go after Alex Carrington and if so Ill take him over Geathers. Holliman is off and replaced with Josh Harris, as we will need 4 rbs to start the season due to Bell's suspension.

You can probably have both Finney and Harris without sending anyone off, since that roster only added up to 51.

Really, REALLY hoping Cam Thomas doesn't bump any of the guys on the list off, though. Maybe Archer or Landry Jones. Those are the only two players on the entire roster who might possibly suck as bad as he does.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

i stopped reading here because my soul couldnt handle it
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm with you guys. Why do we really need to keep 3 QB's on the roster? If Ben goes down, we're screwed anyways so just sign a free agent for a week or two if needed to back up Gradkowski.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This. If Ben and Gradkowski go down...there are better street free agents than Landry Jones out there...and if they really want Jones...he'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

No worries... We can always maybe get a QB from the Browns if Ben or Grad go down.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Really don't understand the need to carry 3 QBs.
    especially when one of them is named Landry Jones...

Sorry - someone mentioned that the numbers only add up to 51. I forgot to include Will Johnson and there are 10 OLs listed.

Also, I just tweeked the list a bit and predict 3 rookie free agent OLs making the team.

FB 1 - Will Johnson
    OL 10 - Beachum, DeCastro, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert, Adams, Wallace, Whimpey (rfa), Dismukes (rfa) BJ Finney (rfa)

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I saw "Stab" in the title and thought this was a Ray Ray thread.....

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I saw "Stab" in the title and thought this was a Ray Ray thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Classic!

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    You can probably have both Finney and Harris without sending anyone off, since that roster only added up to 51.

Really, REALLY hoping Cam Thomas doesn't bump any of the guys on the list off, though. Maybe Archer or Landry Jones. Those are the only two players on the entire roster who might possibly suck as bad as he does.
    You and Cam need to sit down and have a chat.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Is this the season Landry Jones gets bumped off the roster?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...-final-season/

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

No way the team carries a whopping 10 OL, much less three UDFAs making it, when they really only want to have seven active on game day. Can't imagine a guy like Garvin not making the team so a lineman can sit on the bench for the season.

Remember, Bell is going to start the year on the suspended list. So you really need to have 4 backs listed for Week One to fill Bell's spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Remember, Bell is going to start the year on the suspended list. So you really need to have 4 backs listed for Week One to fill Bell's spot.
    1) DeAngelo Williams
    2) Will Johnson
    3) Dri Archer
    4) Josh Harris

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Don't know if I could think of a group that's worse than that.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    1) DeAngelo Williams
    2) Will Johnson
    3) Dri Archer
    4) Josh Harris
    Will Johnson is a last resort. He shouldn't be on the list, much less second.

Let's be honest...2, 3 and maybe 4 shouldn't be on that list. Harris could be decent as a 4th back for depth...but we don't know yet for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Let's be honest...2, 3 and maybe 4 shouldn't be on that list. Harris could be decent as a 4th back for depth...but we don't know yet for sure...
    At least they are actual RBs, is my point.

Steelers aren't going three games with only two actual RBs. And Archer barely counts.

At least they are actual RBs, is my point.

Steelers aren't going three games with only two actual RBs. And Archer barely counts.
    Agree. I can't see JOhnson making the roster if Jesse James is decent. Especially with Bell out.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Agree. I can't see JOhnson making the roster if Jesse James is decent. Especially with Bell out.
    Not what I was getting at. Johnson is going to make this roster. Very little doubt he is left off. He's just not a RB. Blocker, bit part receiver, special teamer, emergency runner. Wears a lot of hats.

The team is going to need three runners on its Week One roster.

Not what I was getting at. Johnson is going to make this roster. Very little doubt he is left off. He's just not a RB. Blocker, bit part receiver, special teamer, emergency runner. Wears a lot of hats.

1) DeAngelo Williams
    2) Josh Harris / Ross Scheuerman / Cameron Stingily
    3) Dri Archer

Thats my thought last year he took a "TE spot" unless I am forgetting someone? Spaeth, Johnson, Miller? If James takes that third spot, where does Johnson fit in. If I forgot the third TE and they carried three and Johnson last season, then my whole thought process, other than Johnson not being with the "running backs" is out the window...if that makes sense.