Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers select FS Gerod Holliman with their 7th Rd pick

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Steelers select FS Gerod Holliman with their 7th Rd pick

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profil...man?id=2552442

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...6-7ba8e33bb7a4

---

Name of the game was obviously ball skills. Holliman needs better tackling technique for sure, but has that ballhawk ability.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers select FS Gerod Holliman with their 7th Rd pick

another ball hawk, looks like the Steelers want to improve on those 11 interceptions they had all of last season...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    another ball hawk, looks like the Steelers want to improve on those 11 interceptions they had all of last season...
    Last year, the theme was "speed".

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I was in the pool. I just got a text: HOLLIMAN.

Yes!!!

That at is all. Back to swimming with my kids.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

You are talking about the steal of the draft if this guy learns to tackle

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    You are talking about the steal of the draft if this guy learns to tackle
    he'll be used in sub-packages in Cover 2 or Cover 3 where he is a centerfielder...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

This is a good thing

In fact, it is since 2011, the defense is bad for the interceptions!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

If the guy makes the most of this opportunity and becomes a starter then it's a robbery. If he fails then we didn't waste much on him. I feel better about the lower guys panning out as draft underdogs than the others above #5 except for #1.
    All Defense!

adding 29 INTs to defensive backfield says Colbert #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/st...25641175187456

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    adding 29 INTs to defensive backfield says Colbert #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/st...25641175187456
    Isn't that about 25 more than what we had last year?
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Isn't that about 25 more than what we had last year?
    18!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I was surprised when we passed him over at the end of the 6th. Then even more surprised when he was there in the 7th. I don't usually get too excited about picks at the end of the draft, but this is one with a super low risk and a high potential payoff. Obviously the kid needs work, but on the other hand, he singlehandedly had more interceptions last season than our entire defense.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

7(239) Pittsburgh Steelers: Gerod Holliman, QB, Louisville: A- Grade

Some had Gerod Holliman in the third round, but we were hearing that he was going to drop. I didn't expect him to fall this far, however, and the Steelers ended up getting a potential steal. Holliman's poor measurables really sunk his draft stock, but he could end up sticking for the Steelers, who needed to find another safety.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldra...TMZOJuif0lj.99

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Baccari Rambo, safety with the Bills had a drop like this last year in the draft if I recall correctly. He ended up picking off the league MVP (A.Rod) twice in one game
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

This could end up being a great pick. The guy oozes ball skills. He's going to be a "center fielder" safety on the back end to make plays on the ball.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

He must have good instincts to make up for his lack of speed. His profile says he gets faked out by QB looking him off and by the play-action. He needs to play smarter in the NFL.

The one thing that stands out physically is the low vertical at 27". I am not saying that makes him a bad pick or even pick that he wouldn't be able to start in the future, but how can a DB only have a vertical of 27"? My vertical, when younger, was 38". Although I was considerably less than 218lbs...haha. Hopefully the Steelers can work on his vertical and speed. That being said, he was doing something right to win the Thorpe award. I remember a pretty good safety by the name of Thomas Everett who also won the Thorpe award.
    Hater = Realist

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

he'll be used in sub-packages in Cover 2 or Cover 3 where he is a centerfielder...
    Another baseball player like Gholson? Damn Clint Hurdle did pretty good in this draft

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Senior Member Array title="vrabinec is on a distinguished road"> vrabinec's Avatar

Guess I comes down to whether his tackling woes are due to poor technique, or if he's just too big of a pussy to stick a tackle. If it's the later, he won't make the first cut.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
    Guess I comes down to whether his tackling woes are due to poor technique, or if he's just too big of a pussy to stick a tackle. If it's the later, he won't make the first cut.
    Alot of what read is that it isn't so much that he won't tackle, it is that he can't. Apparently, all he wants to do is try and highlight reel Madden game "hit" people each time. Has no form and doesn't wrap. Apparently this leads to missed/bad tackles.

Several write ups I have read have indicated that kid is not contact averse, just kinda stupid about it. Hopefully it is the kinda stupid you can fix.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Alot of what read is that it isn't so much that he won't tackle, it is that he can't. Apparently, all he wants to do is try and highlight reel Madden game "hit" people each time. Has no form and doesn't wrap. Apparently this leads to missed/bad tackles.

Several write ups I have read have indicated that kid is not contact averse, just kinda stupid about it. Hopefully it is the kinda stupid you can fix.
    Wow man i love ya ta death but your opinion on this bro is way out -a-line . Gettysburg College db/wr
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

He must have done something right

Winner of the Jim Thorpe Award...first team FWAA All-American and a Walter Camp selection...CBSsports and ESPN All-American...tied NCAA record for interceptions in a season with 14...broke the ACC record for interceptions in a season…recorded interceptions in nine of 12 games and multiple picks in four games...runner-up for the ACC Defensive Player of the Year Award...was a Phil Steele Midseason All-American...first team Walter Camp All-American...selected as a Jim Thorpe and Bronko Nagurski Award finalist...earned first team All-ACC honors

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    Wow man i love ya ta death but your opinion on this bro is way out -a-line . Gettysburg College db/wr
    You may be right. My only point is that if you dig past Twitter reactions, some (not all) but some write-ups are saying that it isn't that he won't it hit, it is that he just sucks at it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...gerod-holliman
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/02...erod-holliman/

I came across several others. It sounds like this kid is an INT obsessed lazy player. Tons of bad habits and has been allowed to get away with alot of stuff that will get you benched or cut in the NFL.

If he simply does not want to tackle, it will be pretty obvious early on and it should not be hard to cut a 7th round pick.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

You may be right. My only point is that if you dig past Twitter reactions, some (not all) but some write-ups are saying that it isn't that he won't it hit, it is that he just sucks at it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...gerod-holliman
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/02...erod-holliman/

I came across several others. It sounds like this kid is an INT obsessed lazy player. Tons of bad habits and has been allowed to get away with alot of stuff that will get you benched or cut in the NFL.

If he simply does not want to tackle, it will be pretty obvious early on and it should not be hard to cut a 7th round pick.
    Exactly. I think Louisville let him get away with it because he was good at getting the picks. It's why he slid so far.

It's something that I believe can be fixed, but the player has to want to fix it. If Lake can get through to him, and just get him to wrap up some instead of trying to blow everyone up, then Holliman can be special. If not, he was a 7th rounder and you hope you can sneak him onto the practice squad.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    Exactly. I think Louisville let him get away with it because he was good at getting the picks. It's why he slid so far.

It's something that I believe can be fixed, but the player has to want to fix it. If Lake can get through to him, and just get him to wrap up some instead of trying to blow everyone up, then Holliman can be special. If not, he was a 7th rounder and you hope you can sneak him onto the practice squad.
    Which is why James Sample went in the 2nd round I believe. That Louisville secondary was pretty good, but not because of Holliman's technique or tackling. I liken him to a young point guard that is a ballhog but because he can score you never teach him how to pass and assist.

Hopefully Lake can instill some discipline in him, but I'm not holding my breath on this one. High potential but very glad it was only a 7th rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    Which is why James Sample went in the 2nd round I believe.
    the Jags selected Sample in the 4th round...

the Jags selected Sample in the 4th round...
    Guess I should check my facts--draft season fried my brain. Lol. My argument remains though. Sample didn't have a large body of work, had questionable instincts according to some, but he's a good tackler and can play the box well.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

We saw quite a few moments like that out of Ryan Clarke over the years...go for the big hit with the shoulder and not even attempt to wrap up. Lol

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Maybe he never knew where the line was drawn between a non-foul hit and a foul hit .Tackle and wrap is the way that works the best.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    We saw quite a few moments like that out of Ryan Clarke over the years...go for the big hit with the shoulder and not even attempt to wrap up. Lol
    Not to mention that guy who wore #43...I forget his name. He had problems wrapping his arms too at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not to mention that guy who wore #43...I forget his name. He had problems wrapping his arms too at times.
    It's a common theme with today's player. They all want to come in and just hit the ball carrier without wrapping up.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert