• D

0 0%
  • F

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you Happy with this Draft?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Are you Happy with this Draft?

Your thought on this draft for the Steelers?

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Re: Are you Happy with this Draft?

I won't vote until the draft is complete, but I'm currently hovering around a B-, but that could change either way.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Right now (round 5) I put us at a B. I'm lukewarm on Senquez Golson just because its not common that a cornerback that small succeeds in the NFL, especially today. Nervously excited but somewhat irked about getting Sammie Coates when CB Steve Nelson was on the board (damn chiefs took 2 awesome cornerbacks from us). Ive always thought about what Ben might look like if he was absolutely just armed to the teeth and it looks like thats whats happening with the Coates and JJ pick. Doran Grant and JJ seem like great picks as well.

I just hope we dont tinker with Doran Grant too much and just let him practice and play mostly as a CB for now
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I'd say a solid B so far. Whoever we get at the end probably isn't going to change things very much. But odds are we'll get at least one serviceable player at our position of most dire need (CB), improved another that was on the list (LB) and got a potentially explosive player at WR. Felt like we were a little unlucky and a little rash on the first two days, but I guess things aren't ever going to go perfectly. Landing a second LEGITIMATE prospect at CB today went a LONG way toward improving my morale on this draft, which last evening was looking it was shaping up to be the standard fare of stubbornly ignoring needs. I really do get the impression from our front office that even if their house was on fire, they wouldn't call the fire department if there was an opportunity to draft more linebackers.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Get back to me in a year or three...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

I have set a Google Calendar reminder to do this on May 2, 2018.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

On paper it looks like they started out fine and gambled in rds. 2 & 3, then looked for depth after. I hope it's the greatest draft since 1974, but I would have sacrificed lower picks to move up in at least one round among 2-4 to go for more conventional quality. However, there are plenty of holes to fill on this team and several new bodies could just be what's needed.
    All Defense!

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Same here.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Round two went from looking great to sucking within a matter of minutes.

Overall B.

Ben is loaded with weapons now.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I still don't have the greatest feeling about this draft...I don't feel it's great, I don't feel it's terrible.m for that I will give it a C+/B-...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Overall I'm happy with the draft. Golson is the big question mark for me. I like him as a player but not in the 2nd round. That was at least a round early. I would rather have had Alex Carter or P.J. Williams.

The way that we finished out the draft made it better for me. I really liked the 6th and 7th round picks. We really got some guys that I think have a good chance of being good players in the NFL.

Some of our veterans that haven't really done anything are going to be looking for a new team.

I'll give the draft a solid B grade.
    “I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!” - Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Boom or Bust!

2015 NFL Draft: quick-snap grades for AFC North teams

Draft pick: DE/LB Bud Dupree (No. 22 overall), CB Senquez Golson (No. 56 overall), WR Sammie Coates (No. 87 overall), CB Doran Grant (No. 121 overall), TE Jesse James (No. 160 overall), DT Leterrius Walton (No. 199 overall), DE Anthony Chickillo (No. 212 overall), DB Gerod Holliman (No. 239 overall)

Day 1 grade: A-
    Day 2 grade: D-
    Day 3 grade: A
    Overall grade: B-

The skinny: Dupree was being discussed as a potential top-10 pick, so the Stealers got plenty of value grabbing him at No. 22, and without having to trade up. With his size, Dupree suits the team's scheme better than the other top edge rushers in the draft, and he is a freakish athlete who can be a big factor on defense. The team needed to take a corner, but in Golson it got one who is 5-foot-8 and probably went a round too early. Coates' issues with drops are well documented, and that won't play in the Steel City. Grant is a perfect player for the hard-nosed Stealers defense and arguably provides better value than Golson. The team nabbed their tight end in the fifth round after several misses and might have gotten a great one near the goaline in James.

Bottom line: Dupree could turn into a monster, but a solid Day 3 didn't make up for some big reaches on Day 2.

• Bryan Fischer
    • College Football 24/7 writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...fc-north-teams
    Last edited by TD's & Beer; 05-02-2015 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Fixed link.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This is definitely a boom or bust draft. This draft could wind up being really, really, really awesome or this draft could be 2008 all over again. I'm taking this class optimistically and hoping that 4-5 of these young guys work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TD's & Beer View Post
    Boom or Bust!

2015 NFL Draft: quick-snap grades for AFC North teams

Draft pick: DE/LB Bud Dupree (No. 22 overall), CB Senquez Golson (No. 56 overall), WR Sammie Coates (No. 87 overall), CB Doran Grant (No. 121 overall), TE Jesse James (No. 160 overall), DT Leterrius Walton (No. 199 overall), DE Anthony Chickillo (No. 212 overall), DB Gerod Holliman (No. 239 overall)

Day 1 grade: A-
    Day 2 grade: D-
    Day 3 grade: A
    Overall grade: B-

The skinny: Dupree was being discussed as a potential top-10 pick, so the Stealers got plenty of value grabbing him at No. 22, and without having to trade up. With his size, Dupree suits the team's scheme better than the other top edge rushers in the draft, and he is a freakish athlete who can be a big factor on defense. The team needed to take a corner, but in Golson it got one who is 5-foot-8 and probably went a round too early. Coates' issues with drops are well documented, and that won't play in the Steel City. Grant is a perfect player for the hard-nosed Stealers defense and arguably provides better value than Golson. The team nabbed their tight end in the fifth round after several misses and might have gotten a great one near the goaline in James.

Bottom line: Dupree could turn into a monster, but a solid Day 3 didn't make up for some big reaches on Day 2.

http://www.nfl.com/n...afc-north-teams
    Dead link but who is the author of this article?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

im going with bud dupree, sammie coates, doran grant, and jesse james as the picks who actually pan out
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Here is the link.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Yes, I am, but time will tell.

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    sorry - I was reading it off a Bengals board when I copied it

• Bryan Fischer
    • College Football 24/7 writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...fc-north-teams

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

A lot of this is going to depend on Dupree. As most drafts do depend on how well they 1st pick goes.

They addressed areas of need. Other than that it all remains to be seen. I believe Golson needs to make an impact sooner than later. Dupree has a little more time to get acclimated due to the LB corps being in better shape than the CBs.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="vrabinec is on a distinguished road"> vrabinec's Avatar

I gave them a B, only because they didn't get a running back, and I have no faith that Williams will be playing at the end of the year, and that Archer will be anything more than a gadget guy.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

I think a lot of people are too harsh on the FO. When you are in a situation where you have a lot of areas of glaring need, and you select low in the draft year in and year out, and on top of all that it is prohibitively expensive to move up (see the Giants), then I am thinking that they deserve an A. That's a ton of difficulties to navigate, and considering that they also want character--you really have a limited amount of options.

End of the day, we picked up two players that were projected to go higher but fell to us, covered our areas of critical need, got a nice blend of immediate and long term production out of it. I'm not sure what you think you can get out of a draft, especially one where you are in the later rounds, but to me, that hits all the bases.

Now will all the players work out? Doubtful. No team can forsee the future like that. Did they get the A+ #1 rule the world superstar? Yeah....they didn't draft in the top 5, and I don't think that I'd like to see them do what it takes to get up that high. They didn't reach, didn't sell out the franchise by trading away multiple future draft picks, got serious quality players. That's a Pittsburgh draft. The rest is now up to the players and the coaches.

I'm saying A, as there really wasn't a realistic move that they could have made to improve what they got without paying for it in later years' draft. Plus sometimes it just is better to wait for a deeper crop of a position that you need.

Dissolv

Over all I like the draft and walked away with a few positives and negatives.

1. I thought Dupree was a possible top 10 pick, especially after Randy Gregory and Shane Ray slid. Great value and the right pick with Johnson and Peters off the board.

2. Glad to see the Steelers thinking outside of "conventional wisdom" with the pick of Senquez Golson. Gotta admit that this was a player that I didn't give the proper evaluation time towards. Now that I watch tape and see his quick twitch reactions and instincts...I'm sold. We all need to put his height into perspective....lets all take our finger and thumb and estimate three inches. Look at it. Is that REALLY going to take anything away from what this guy is capable of?

3. Believe it or not...WR Sammie Coates is the pick that I struggle with. Don't get me wrong..Its good value but CB's Steven Nelson and Josh Shaw were still on the boards and I had both ranked above Coates. For that matter I had several WR's ranked above Coates who were still available in round three....BUT...most sites had him as a 2nd round prospect so I guess he is considered a steal at the end of the third. I question his hands.

4. Love the Doran Grant pick. This is a kid that I commented on after the draft. Looked good in drills...just a bit of a hitch in his backpedal that made him look stiff in transition.

5. I personally liked TE CJ Uzomah because I though that he was an athletic TE who wasn't utilized correctly... TE Jesse James seems to fall under that same category. I am taking a "wait and see" approach to this pick because I see athletic potential in his receiving and blocking.

6. Leterrius Walton is a good pick this late into the draft. Everything I'm reading is that he has a high ceiling and with coaching could be a hidden gem. After picking up an athletic OLB in the first round...we grab a strong LOLB prospect in Anthony Chickillo,. I have no doubts that he will spend the next year on the practice sguad as he learns to play with his hand out of the dirt. I would imagine the hope is that he is ready to start his career at the same point that James Harrison is ending his.

7. Picking up S Gerod Holliman in the seventh round is UNBELIEVABLE. For those who were not aware...Holliman is the Thorpe recipient awarded to the best defensive back in the country and a first team All-American. Incredible ballhawking skills but will HAVE to play more disciplined and with better tackling technigue.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I have the same questions with rounds #2 & #3. Tomlin & Colbert did not want to draft CBs in back-to-back rounds, but picking up three CBs would have been a better option than selecting a WR that will struggle to get the ball thrown to him with AB and Marcus Bryant on the outside. That way there is a high probability we could pick up a starting CB in 1 out of 3 and maybe keep 2.
    All Defense!

all said and done I am pretty satisfied with our picks.

Addressed a lot of needs

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I gave the draft an overall B.

I love the Bud Dupree pick. I don't think it means the team necessarily thinks Jarvis Jones is a bust, he's coming into his third season and that's normally when a player breaks out. It's why they say you normally can't judge a draft until three seasons have gone by. If JJ has that breakout season, and I think he will, then Dupree will end up the replacement for James Harrison and could even slip into that starting role as the season progresses. At the least, he will be on the field in pass rush situations. The Steelers got a guy who was projected top ten. The guy's got talent.

The Golson and Grant picks are ones I liked. People are complaining that Golson isn't 6' or more, but the guys got ball skills. Grant has some nice hands too, and could end up our nickel back when all is said and done.

Jesse James, at the least, has a bad ass name. I think there's a real chance he could end up being Heath Miller lite. He's already a better receiving TE than anything the Steelers have on the roster behind Miller.

Holliman is a boom or bust pick, and his tackling is why he slipped to the 7th round. Many people had him going in the third, including me. He's a ball hawk and when he does see playing time it will be in zone on the back end to make plays on the ball. His tackling technique is more of a "blow the guy up and get on SportsCenter" type, but I think the Steelers can get him to fix that for the most part.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think they did well to address need and I am glad they finally took the corner position. I still remained concerned about the top 2 picks
    1. With Bud, it is that he seems to be more raw and more unpolished then most and consistency issues have to be addressed but him working with Peezy makes me feel better about his concerns
    2. With Senquez it is his weight at 176 (his height is less of a concern for me). He needs to bulk up and I wonder whether or not his body can hold up in the NFL. If anyone knows of an example of someone who weighed this much and succeeded fell free.

However Bud can easily be polished and he seems to have a work ethic which makes me feel better and hopefully strength and conditioning can bulk up Senquez

Member Array title="Pappy is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    A lot of this is going to depend on Dupree. As most drafts do depend on how well they 1st pick goes.

They addressed areas of need. Other than that it all remains to be seen. I believe Golson needs to make an impact sooner than later. Dupree has a little more time to get acclimated due to the LB corps being in better shape than the CBs.
    I agree with you. One of the corners needs to be an immediate impact player for us, but rookies usually struggle early in our defense. Hell, Troy didn't start for us his first year.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I think they did well to address need and I am glad they finally took the corner position. I still remained concerned about the top 2 picks
    1. With Bud, it is that he seems to be more raw and more unpolished then most and consistency issues have to be addressed but him working with Peezy makes me feel better about his concerns
    2. With Senquez it is his weight at 176 (his height is less of a concern for me). He needs to bulk up and I wonder whether or not his body can hold up in the NFL. If anyone knows of an example of someone who weighed this much and succeeded feel free.However Bud can easily be polished and he seems to have a work ethic which makes me feel better and hopefully strength and conditioning can bulk up Senquez
    Darrell Green was one of the best CB's of all time and played at 5'8-5'9 (depending on publications) and weighed about 180 pounds.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I have the same questions with rounds #2 & #3. Tomlin & Colbert did not want to draft CBs in back-to-back rounds, but picking up three CBs would have been a better option than selecting a WR that will struggle to get the ball thrown to him with AB and Marcus Bryant on the outside. That way there is a high probability we could pick up a starting CB in 1 out of 3 and maybe keep 2.
    I know we're pretty well fixed at WR but I'm OK with drafting one each year. If AB and Bryant are the top two, Wheaton is either going to be too good for the #3 spot and leave for greener pastures or prove #3 is right for him in which case he can be replaced by a draft pick. Then Coates will either displace Bryant at #2 or prove to be expendable or be so good that he can get the big money elsewhere (we obviously can't justify paying three #1 receivers so one would have to go). Gotta keep reloading at that position, especially with the league already being pass-happy and Goofdell doing everything he can to turn it into the CFL.

As far as the grade, I didn't vote because there was no "Patriots** suck and Tom Brady is gay" option.

Junior Member Array title="blackngold8766 is an unknown quantity at this point">

I would have preferred a more aggressive approach to needs. We wont know for a few years but it seems like lots of 3 rated players (out of 5) who do fit the position needs instead of aggressively going after a 4 or 5 for more urgent needs. Also seems like we have missed on a few picks in recent years requiring us to redraft at that same position. IMO we are not gaining ground.