Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers pick TE Jesse James in the 5th Round.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers pick TE Jesse James in the 5th Round.

Penn State.

A big guy at 6'7.

There's their Tight End.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: The Steelers pick TE Jesse James in the 5th Round.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sounds like he kinda sucks.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profil...mes?id=2552633

This is the first pick that leaves me scratching my head. Unless Branchflower does all the catching and this guy gets weight roomed up into a blocker?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

Makes me a little nervous when "three time captain in High School" is included in the bio. They had nothing better to put?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Sounds like he kinda sucks.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profil...mes?id=2552633

This is the first pick that leaves me scratching my head. Unless Branchflower does all the catching and this guy gets weight roomed up into a blocker?
    I liked Uzomah better than James...but James isnt a terrible blocker and runs a 4.66 forty. Just needs some coaching on technigue to get out of his stance quicker and in learning how to seperate. I would say he is better than Spaeth was when he was drafted.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

He's going to look bad ass in black and gold....

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

Jeff Reed is that you?!

I liked Uzomah better as well, but damn Bengals again. James will probably fight Blanchflower for the 3rd TE spot.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The talking heads were saying that he should have stayed in school; he needed another year to develop... and, could have gone much higher next year.

Optimistically, he plays behind Heath for a year... develops... and takes over.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

He's only 20 years old...and couldn't have a better mentor than Earl Heath Miller.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Can't complain. It was about the right place to address another sort-of need, and one that wasn't nearly as high on the list as LB, which is the other one I called a sort-of need. Wouldn't expect to get an instant game-changer in the fifth round, so probably the best we can do there. I do like that he, like many of the other players in the past two drafts, has one uncharacteristically high attribute that we might be able to use to our advantage. Might as well swing away in these rounds.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Ben likes his tall receivers

Even if he's a Matt Spaeth replacement and we get Heath's replacement next year, it's hopefully still an upgrade.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    Makes me a little nervous when "three time captain in High School" is included in the bio. They had nothing better to put?
    As long as his bio doesn't say he was cited for public urination then he will be an upgrade over Matt Spaeth.

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    As long as his bio doesn't say he was cited for public urination then he will be an upgrade over Matt Spaeth.

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I would say he is better than Spaeth was when he was drafted.
    Matt Spaeth won the 2006 John Mackey Award as college football's top TE.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The dude needs to eat he looks skinny.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    He's only 20 years old. Everybody's skinny when they are that age.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    10 lbs. lighter than Gronk. Same size as Jimmy Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

5(160) Pittsburgh Steelers: Jesse James, TE, Penn State: B+ Grade

I mocked Jesse James to the Steelers at this spot because I thought he made a lot of sense for the team. James is a great fit in Pittsburgh's offense, and he obviously makes sense at this range. James, a good athlete, might be able to take over for Heath Miller in a couple of years.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldra...zdD3BkdT1wz.99

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Only 20 years old?

I would imagine if he has a lot of upside...
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

by Jim Wexell

It was clearly a defensive minded draft, but in the fifth round the Steelers did select a second offensive player, Penn State tight end Jesse James (6-7, 261, 4.81) who hails from nearby Glassport, Pa.

James, who came out as a true junior, caught 78 passes for 1,005 yards (12.9 ypc.) and 11 touchdowns in three seasons at PSU.

"He has natural strength and will be able to handle the line of scrimmage," said Steelers tight ends coach James Daniel. "He wasn't used a lot as a receiver."

"I agree with that," said James. "In the system we ran, I didn't have a chance to show how athletic I am. I'll have a shot to do that in the future, being able to show exactly what I can do in the receiving aspect of the game."

How about catching the ball in the red zone?

"The guy is 6-7," said Daniel. "He should be a red-zone threat."

http://pit.scout.com/story/1543401-s...ded-draft?s=68

Senior Member Array title="vrabinec is on a distinguished road"> vrabinec's Avatar

I dunno. Looks like he's got quicker feet than Spaeth, but I'm not sure I'd trust him to block at this point. This is one I'm comfortable saying we woun't now about for a year, unless he gets cut in which case, we'll know right away.

JESSE JAMES

Adding a tight end on Day 3 of the draft was a palatable way to approach the issue of adding youth at a position where starter Heath Miller will be 33 in October and Matt Spaeth will be 32 in November. The tight end the Steelers chose in the fifth round may be the namesake of one of America’s most notorious outlaws, but the real crime would have been using a second-round pick on a position where the best the newcomer would do in 2015 is compete with Rob Blanchflower for the No. 3 spot on the depth chart. For those fans in favor of using that No. 2 pick on Maxx Williams – the top tight end prospect in this draft – understand that competing with Blanchflower was all he would have been doing in 2015, too.

Jesse James will be a 21-year-old rookie, which indicates he still will grow physically as well as mature mentally. James started every game in 2013-14, he finished his career at Penn State with 31 starts, and his 11 receiving touchdowns are the most by a tight end in Penn State history.

“He is a guy with great length,” said tight ends coach James Daniel about the 6-7, 267-pound James. “He has a natural strength and will be able to handle the line of scrimmage. He wasn’t used a lot as a receiver, some intermediate, short routes, maybe a couple deep balls, but he has good strength, good playing strength to block the line of scrimmage.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...c-2d60d615ded4

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    JESSE JAME

“He is a guy with great length,” said tight ends coach James Daniel about the 6-7, 267-pound James. “He has a natural strength and will be able to handle the line of scrimmage. He wasn’t used a lot as a receiver, some intermediate, short routes, maybe a couple deep balls, but he has good strength, good playing strength to block the line of scrimmage.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...c-2d60d615ded4
    But does he have adequate girth? I mean, we all want to know.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

That's nasty!