Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The steelers select CB Doran Grant with their fourth round pick(121)

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Re: The steelers select CB Doran Grant with their fourth round pick(121)

GO BUCKEYES!

nice

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I think these picks kind of tell you what Keith Butler wants in his defense:

QB Pressure

DB's that can take advantage of that pressure by getting picks

I have a feeling we might be getting back to being Blitzburgh, especially if Mclendon or McCullers can hold the point of attack at the nose and not give the QB a pocket to step up in to avoid the rush. Timmons, Shazier, Dupree, Jones, and Harrison moving around and lining up in different spots so the QB can't identify where the pass rush is coming from. Is it coming from the edge? The middle? A combo of both? Are they going to go out in coverage? Why is Shazier on the outside and Jones on the inside?

And I think we are going to see some competition in camp for starting spots. Cortez Allen is going to have to prove he deserves to start, last year proved they aren't going to start him just because he got a new contract. I really think Gay, Allen, Golson, and Grant will all be competing for the two starting spots/nickel corner.

At S, I think only Mitchell is guaranteed a starting spot. He's was asked to play differently from what he did in Oakland and Carolina. I think with Polamalu retired, Mitchell is going to be allowed to do what he did back then, roam a little bit and disrupt what the offense is trying to do. He's no Polamalu, nobody is and ever will be. But I think we will see an effective Mitchell this year.

The other safety spot is going to be won by competition. I don't think Shamarko Thomas has shown enough to walk into camp the starter. I don't think it's his job to lose, I think it's going to be best man gets the job. And I think we could see Doran Grant moved to S. I think it's a real possibility, and could possibly be what the Steelers were thinking when they drafted him if they aren't 100% sold on him as a CB. I think the CB competition could also be a factor in that choice.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

ESPN draft experts Mike Kiper and Todd McShay verbally approved of the Steelers' pick of Doran, with McShay specifically saying that Grant is a good run stopper and someone Pittsburgh can expect to play in the slot. McShay also said that he wouldn't be surprised if Doran also sees time as a safety given his athleticism versatility.

There's a lot to like about Grant, who heads to the Steelers fresh off of winning a national championship with Ohio State. Listed at 5'11'' and 193 pounds on Ohio State's athletic website, Grant plays bigger than his listed size. He was among the more physical defensive backs in college football last season, and was lauded in his bio on NFL.com for his cagey ability to read screen passes and for his overall football intelligence.

Grant became a play-making cornerback during his senior season at Ohio State, picking off five passes and breaking up nine more. He's a durable athlete, having started in all 15 of the Buckeys games last season and never missing a game in his four years at OSU.

An active run-stopper, Grant is a solid tackler and someone that looks for contact. He is also someone that is always seeking to cause turnovers, and could often be seen in college ripping and slapping at the arms of ballplayers to try to pry the ball loose.

While he has some limitations, McShay said that the things Grant improve on are "all very coachable."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...s-selection-of

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TD's & Beer View Post
    ESPN draft experts Mike Kiper and Todd McShay verbally approved of the Steelers' pick of Doran
    thank God!

But, but, he's not 6'4" and can't run a 3.75 40 time. And he can't bench 225 more than 90 times...AND he can never wear #12 on the Steelers!

>Yinzer draft experts