Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Select WR Sammie Coates With Their 3rd Round Pick (87) In 2015 NFL Draft

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers Select WR Sammie Coates With Their 3rd Round Pick (87) In 2015 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    So when the last time the Steelers made a mistake for a receiver drafted in early / mid round?

It was Sweed in 2008
    Here's the thing about the Sweed pick: I loved it so much... that if I redrafted 2008, I'd draft him again. No joke. He shoukd have been the steal of that draft.

I think 99% of Steelers fans loved that pick, too... they just won't admit it.

Alas, no one saw him breaking down (mentally).

Regardless, great point.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Re: Steelers Select WR Sammie Coates With Their 3rd Round Pick (87) In 2015 NFL Draft

Limas sweed problem was never his hands. It was between the ears

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Good points.

The one negative that stuck out the most to me is the "Doesn't play with extended catch radius." I hate seeing WRs who can only catch with their body ala Wallace. Which, if true, negates his height.

As always, I hope for the best.
    So true.

That said, in the highlights (which can be misleading) he seemed to fight for contested balls. In other words, my hope is that his "limited catch radius" is when he's wide open (which still isn't good), but when he's fighting for the ball, he extends those arms.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    Coates is a younger, stronger replacement for DHB.

He plays special teams, strong blocker and can rip them deep. Physically he looks like a young T.O. to me. (He really isn't that much different to Perriman who went in the first, except for a fast pro-day 40 time.)

Everyone rips him for drops. His College QB is trying to get drafted as a CB.

Let him have an elite QB throw to him and then you will see what his hands are like. I say his hands will look much better in the pros.
    Thanks for offering this perspective, Aussie! #everybodyclimbdownfromtheledge

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    darrell green - hall of fame CB played 2 decades in the NFL .... Without growing 4 inches. (He was 5'8" tall)
    So... fire Darrell Green???

- - - Updated - - -

Limas sweed problem was never his hands. It was between the ears
    Yep. The Rooneys got him all sorts of counseling, but depression is a bitch.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. The Rooneys got him all sorts of counseling, but depression is a bitch.
    Yep. We lost a couple of games and a draft pick. This young man lost a career and has to deal with this illness the rest of his life. Kudos to the Rooney's, they always do everything they can to help "family".

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Yep. We lost a couple of games and a draft pick. This young man lost a career and has to deal with this illness the rest of his life. Kudos to the Rooney's, they always do everything they can to help "family".
    Exactly... it's why they're the best owners in the NFL: they don't see the players merely as employees; they see them as a family.

Chidi has been researching........

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

A compromise because they felt obligated to pick a 4th string WR. At least it wasn't a FB or P.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

A receivers job is to catch the ball regardless of who the QB is. You can have all the physical traits and athletic abilities in the world, but if you don't catch the ball what is the point. Hines didn't have speed and wasn't tall but he could catch and he had a helluva physical presence and he could catch passes from Kordel who was not exactly a stellar QB. Give me a Hines over T.O. any day. The reason I bring up T.O. is because he dropped a lot of crucial passes, I don't want that from a WR. Not sold on this pick, I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't like it.

I dont mind this pick and mentioned several times that the pre draft visits hinted towards a WR as early as the 3rd round...the only problem I have is that Tre McBride was on the board at the time and McBride is a GREAT route runner with good technigue... would have been a perfect slot reciever. THAT being said...there may have been more to McBride than I knew..since he is still on the board this late.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Seem like quite a few others wondering the same thing, LLT.

If the Steelers took McBride in R6, it would be great VALUE...

...and, people would scream.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

They should pick him, i would scream, that would make Coates pick expendable, but Steelers would get great player in the sixth. Tremendous value.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I am only screaming at this one because his weakness is catching, it's like having a long snapper who can block but has trouble getting the ball to the punter.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

a couple things about his catching. He didn't have a great QB throwing to him and catching can be taught...it can. The other measureables he has cannot. He has a good skill set...he just lacks the soft hands we want...but that can be worked on...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    a couple things about his catching. He didn't have a great QB throwing to him and catching can be taught...it can. The other measureables he has cannot. He has a good skill set...he just lacks the soft hands we want...but that can be worked on...
    I hope you are right, but so far it hasn't panned out with Limas Sweed or DHB, so I am not so confident that it will be taught

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I hope you are right, but so far it hasn't panned out with Limas Sweed or DHB, so I am not so confident that it will be taught
    This is the last time the Steelers have been wrong on a WR in the early/mid-round

This is the last time the Steelers have been wrong on a WR in the early/mid-round
    it wasn't that long ago. and who else have they tried to draft since then? btw DHB was not drafted but did not pan out last year so where is the optimism?

it wasn't that long ago. and who else have they tried to draft since then? btw DHB was not drafted but did not pan out last year so where is the optimism?

Mike Wallace,Sanders,Antonio Brown,Markus Wheaton,Martavis Bryant....

ab was 6th round, and Wallace wont jump.

ab was 6th round, and Wallace wont jump.

Mike Wallace is now very underrated in this forum, this is ridiculous!....Wallace had two 1,000-yard seasons with the Steelers and had a very good rookie season in 2009 as No. 3 receiver

It ended badly in 2012 but if Coates has the same beginning of career than Wallace, I will be very happy

Mike Wallace is now very underrated in this forum, this is ridiculous!....Wallace had two 1,000-yard seasons with the Steelers and had a very good rookie season in 2009 as No. 3 receiver

It ended badly in 2012 but if Coates has the same beginning of career than Wallace, I will be very happy
    Sorry was talking on the phone when I wrote that last reply.

My point should have been that none of those players had a lot of catching issues. Sweed and DHB did, and for that matter Wallace did not fight for the ball so it's not really ridiculous that he gets flack from us for that. If he had heart he probably would still be a Steeler but he turned into a Diva and then quit on the dolphins.

Also the guys with hands problems have not panned out in our system so where is the optimism

guys with hands problems have not panned out in our system so where is the optimism?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

There was a knock on Sanders when he was drafted that he was over confident in his hands and would drop the ball because he was too worried about making moves.

Was a thing with AB as well that he trapped too many balls, didn't use his hands enough, wouldn't fight for the ball...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profil...rown?id=497276

Not trying to prove you wrong Butch, just trying to be optimistic...lol

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There was a knock on Sanders when he was drafted that he was over confident in his hands and would drop the ball because he was too worried about making moves.
    And he continued to drop the ball until he went to Denver.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

darrell green - hall of fame CB played 2 decades in the NFL .... Without growing 4 inches. (He was 5'8" tall)
    Please tell her to stop that .Uneeded toughness 25 yard penalty .
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .