Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Select CB Senquez Golson With Their 2nd Round Pick (56) In 2015 NFL Draft

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Steelers Select CB Senquez Golson With Their 2nd Round Pick (56) In 2015 NFL Draf

what i got out of this pick is that the steelers are REALLY counting on Cortez Allen panning out. Blake, Golson, and Gay? Thats CB corp to go with Cortez, who is the lone big boy
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Re: Steelers Select CB Senquez Golson With Their 2nd Round Pick (56) In 2015 NFL Draf

I like this pick. I was hoping we could pair him with a bigger bodied corner, but the market is rapidly dwindling on that so I'm glad to see them take a ballhawk. You want a guy like this in your secondary. Maybe not a lockdown corner but he'll make splash plays which is Tomlin's mantra.

For all the Brice McCain comparisons I'm seeing, I would be happy if Golson played like McCain did last year.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Looked up his weight and saw he was only 176 lbs. Geez, that is too light. We could have had Alex Carter too. Epic fail by Pittsburgh

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Christ, can we see the frigging kid PLAY first?

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Welcome to Pittsburgh, Senquez!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

He's only going to need to cover for about 5 yards and the quick slants/screens because Bud Dupree is going to be putting opposing QBs on their backs. No worries guys!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The Steelers play their corners in zone and off coverages basically all the time. What does Golson, even as an midget elf dwarf, excel at? Off coverage!

It's almost like they picked three players that were great matches of prospect physical traits with the scheme they plan on using them in.

Weird. That would mean that someone in the FO had two brain cells to rub together. That can't possibly be the case.

Also, this is the same fan base that was LAMENTING the loss of Brice McCain - a guy off the FA scrap heap. Golson is already better than that dude and he hasn't played a down.

The Steelers have a scheme. They draft guys that fit the scheme. This isn't the Cleveland Browns. They don't lurch from random idea to random idea.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    why would we need to do something silly that before passing judgement?

Golson is obviously a bust, he hasn't made a single interception for us yet...

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Transcript: Carnell Lake on Senquez Golson

Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell Lake spoke after the team made its Second Round Draft Pick, cornerback Senquez Golson

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...2-478510ef9eba

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    That's what she said.
    WIN
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He played in the SEC... that's essentially "NFL LITE".

that the fact jack!

he beat Alabama, ya know

I jumped up and thanked Baltimore when they took that TE - that we might've thrown to twice a month - we need playmakers on D!

not sure how to act - a CB that can catch the ball - we're in unfamiliar territory here

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If you can, watch tape of Jason Varrett in San Diego. He may have been the best CB drafted last year. He is able to run stride for stride, in & out of breaks, right there with ANY receiver. Sure, on a jump ball, Varrett is at a disadvantage... but, for the other 95% of the plays, he is in position to break up the pass.

Conversely, I've seen big CBs get juked, and end up several strides behind the receiver. In turn, those tall CBs are yards away from the play... negating their size. Whereas, Varrett is almost always right there. And, yes, again, sometimes Varrett's height (or lack thereof) is a disadvantage... but, it a matter of a few inches (as opposed to a few yards away).

My point:
    Varrett is almost exactly the same size as Senquez Golson.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    He's only going to need to cover for about 5 yards and the quick slants/screens because Bud Dupree is going to be putting opposing QBs on their backs. No worries guys!
    I see how it's gonna be .I'm right though and you know it .Cool !
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    No. I have my pitchfork being sharpened and shined up.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I hope we just didn't draft the dri archer of defense

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

for all the brent grimes comparisons with golson, here's another comparison (size wise):

Antoine Winfield (5'9'' 180lb)
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Senquez Golson’s visit to Pittsburgh must have gone well.

With the 56th overall selection in the NFL Draft, the Steelers selected the former Pascagoula standout and Ole Miss All-American.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper couldn’t say enough about the Steelers’ pick.

“If you’re a Ravens fan you hate the pick and if you’re a Steelers fan you love it. That’s one of the best picks of the second round,” he said of Golson, who visited Pittsburgh and Baltimore, and worked out for Tampa Bay and Cleveland. “Golson is an interceptor supreme. Sixteen career picks — 16.”

Kiper went on to call the 5-foot-8, 176-pound Golson “pound for pound one of the best football players in this draft” with “wide receiver hands.”

Fellow ESPN analyst Todd McShay didn’t knock Golson for his size.

“For a smaller corner, he will support the run,” he said. “I think he’s tough, physical, aggressive. He’s everything you look for.

“You wish he was a little bit bigger and longer and all of those things, but he plays to his potential and his ability and he’s not afraid at all to mix it up.”

http://www.sunherald.com/2015/05/01/...outs.html?rh=1

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Mojouw

The Steelers play their corners in zone and off coverages basically all the time. What does Golson, even as an midget elf dwarf, excel at? Off coverage!
    Great point.

On a side note, Tattoo was small. Yet he was an amazing plane hawk.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Personally - I love this pick.

I have been a William Gay advocate for years on SF despite people blaming him for everything that ever goes wrong with the Steelers.

golson will be my new champion. All you naysayer will regret hatin on Golson.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post

I have been a William Gay advocate for years on SF despite people blaming him for everything that ever goes wrong with the Steelers.

When will you unveil the Golson Meter???

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

“You wish he was a little bit bigger and longer and all of those things, but he plays to his potential and his ability and he’s not afraid at all to mix it up.”
    Can't wait till he starts picking off balls and all the naysayers go apeshit. #that'smyplanandI'mstickingtoit

We've had our share of "tall" 5'10 CBs with no ball skills...frankly, I'm relieved we went for a ball hawk in our zone coverage..

Undersized cornerback who's extremely feisty and competitive. Unanimous first-team All-American and first-team All-SEC selection. Tied school record for interceptions with 10. Great twitch, outstanding breaks on balls thrown his way. Loose hips, good eye discipline, doesn't get fooled. Outstanding against the run. Played mostly in zone.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/20...olson_pic.html

Personally - I love this pick. .
    he has lots of fans

Unanimous first-team All-American and first-team All-SEC selection.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

176 lbs how is he going to stop the run or tackle a big receiver or RB?
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    he'll spear them in the balls with his helmet

you've never seen him play

Surprisingly, he does.

How? He goes low.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

To be frank, Willie Gay was actually terrible in 2009 and 2010.

He turned the corner in 2011, and he's become our new best corner.

saw a stat somewhere that says Golson never missed a tackle last season. so there's that

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

If we have to depend on a CB to tackle RBs on a regular basis, we're kinda fucked anyway...