Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TPOP: Steelers draft board

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

TPOP: Steelers draft board

Hi all.

I was a long-time contributor over at Steelers Fever. Then, kaploowey!!! I used to write articles for Steelers Fever (in the pre-kaploowey days), and I currently write for a website called The Point of Pittsburgh. Here is my most recent article about the Steelers.

The Big Board
    by Tiger Rowan

In any given draft, I take the spot at which the Steelers are drafting, and make a list of that same number of “possible” players that could be drafted, up to and including when the Steelers pick. This year, the Steelers draft 22nd, so I have created a list of twenty-two prospects. Furthermore, for those twenty-two candidates, I have divided them out into different categories...

Read more here:
    http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/the-big-board/

I hope that you enjoy the article.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: TPOP: Steelers draft board

Welcome to the board! We have a couple of other folks here who write for other sites on the side too.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Welcome to the board! We have a couple of other folks here who write for other sites on the side too.
    Awesome.

If if I may ask, who else is a writer?... and, for which site(s) do they write?

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

I'm torn on the Safety position, a 1st Round pick would make the training camp competition interesting. But then if they grab one in the 3rd or 4th he could be a diamond and the rough and steal some playing time from this lackluster group. Mitchell, Allen, Golden, Thomas, not scaring any offensive coordinators with those names.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I read all the articles you and Connor write, Tiger, as well as a lot of the articles written about the Pirates. You both are doing a great job for TPOP. Keep up the good work!

Where is Connor? He needs to come out and play.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Another fun, well written article, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    I'm torn on the Safety position, a 1st Round pick would make the training camp competition interesting. But then if they grab one in the 3rd or 4th he could be a diamond and the rough and steal some playing time from this lackluster group. Mitchell, Allen, Golden, Thomas, not scaring any offensive coordinators with those names.
    Thats the dilemma.

Landon Collins would be an upgrade over Will Allen... but, who knows if the Steelers "need" to draft a safety at all, because they have Shamarko Thomas.

If Shamarko is the man, then there'd be no need to use a R1 pick on a safety. But, who truly knows about Shamarko. And, why don't we know: he's always injured.

Personally, I'd prefer to go OLB or CB in R1, and snag Shaq Thompson in R2. He is a big safety/small linebacker. Think: Kam Chancellor.

Good article!! I love Carter. if I had to pick my favorite CB's in this draft it would be Johnson Rowe, and Carter.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    I read all the articles you and Connor write, Tiger, as well as a lot of the articles written about the Pirates. You both are doing a great job for TPOP. Keep up the good work!Where is Connor? He needs to come out and play.
    Thank you very much. Truly. I need to get a Twitter account (like you suggested). I'm not sure where SC is. I text him every once in a while, but he's been absent from any forums. I'll try to get him on here.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Awesome.

If if I may ask, who else is a writer?... and, for which site(s) do they write?
    Chidi29 (Alex Kozora) wrote for us for a while before beginning to write for Steelers Depot - that one I know for certain.

Thats the dilemma.

Landon Collins would be an upgrade over Will Allen... but, who knows if the Steelers "need" to draft a safety at all, because they have Shamarko Thomas.

If Shamarko is the man, then there'd be no need to use a R1 pick on a safety. But, who truly knows about Shamarko. And, why don't we know: he's always injured.

Personally, I'd prefer to go OLB or CB in R1, and snag Shaq Thompson in R2. He is a big safety/small linebacker. Think: Kam Chancellor.

I still think we go CB in round one, and have been leaning towards OLB's Hunter or Orchard in the 2nd. Then double up with CB's Nelson or Shaw in the 3rd if available. If there is a run on OLB is the 2nd, I would grab CB's Carter or Rowe with our 2nd pick...and would take OLB Davis Tull in the 3rd...I think he could be fantastic in our system.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Thats the dilemma.

Wouldn't that leave the Steelers with essentially 3 of the same "type" of safety? Thomas and Mitchell (despite what they are listed as) are both better as SS than as FS. Sounds like Thompson and Collins would also be better in that role. My thinking is that the Steelers need to draft and develop a coverage safety more than a hybrid safety/linebacker. I realize that was one of Polamalu's traits, but I don't know if Thompson or Collins is that kind of "Special" and basically isn't that the role that Shazier projects into anyway?

Again, not really arguing about the valuation of the players, just kind of feel that with the Steelers present and projected roster almost all of the safety or safety/Lb hybrid early round prospects are a duplication of resources.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I still think we go CB in round one, and have been leaning towards OLB's Hunter or Orchard in the 2nd. Then double up with CB's Nelson or Shaw in the 3rd if available. If there is a run on OLB is the 2nd, I would grab CB's Carter or Rowe with our 2nd pick...and would take OLB Davis Tull in the 3rd...I think he could be fantastic in our system.
    Much rather have Shaw or Rowe and try them as a 3rd corner or even as a safety than draft a more "in the box" style DB. We have enough of those. We need some one in the middle of the field who can turn and run with big WRs and TEs.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Another fun, well written article, sir.
    Thank you very much. (Good to see an old, friendly face.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Chidi29 (Alex Kozora) wrote for us for a while before beginning to write for Steelers Depot - that one I know for certain.
    I used to write for About.com (2004-2010)... until that site went belly up.

Then, it was on to SF... until that site went belly up.

So, if my track record maintains its course, either TPOP or this place is eventually going to go belly up. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I could see them going either CB or OLB in R1, followed by the opposite position in R2. (CB then OLB, or OLB then CB)

i dont thnk think that Carter makes it to 56. I think that he slips into the end of R1. Till would be an interesting pick in R3. I am more of a Markus Golden fan, but same difference.

I, too, think that they should double-dip at CB, as well as at OLB. Something like:

R1: CB/OLB
    R2: OLB/CB
    R5: OLB: Lyndon Trail, Norfolk
    R6: CB: Ladarius Gunter, Miami... Quandre Diggs, Texas... Wayne Lyons, Stanford... Steve Nelson, Oregon St.... Lorenzo Doss, Tulane... Bobby McCain, Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Wouldn't that leave the Steelers with essentially 3 of the same "type" of safety? Thomas and Mitchell (despite what they are listed as) are both better as SS than as FS. Sounds like Thompson and Collins would also be better in that role. My thinking is that the Steelers need to draft and develop a coverage safety more than a hybrid safety/linebacker. I realize that was one of Polamalu's traits, but I don't know if Thompson or Collins is that kind of "Special" and basically isn't that the role that Shazier projects into anyway?

Again, not really arguing about the valuation of the players, just kind of feel that with the Steelers present and projected roster almost all of the safety or safety/Lb hybrid early round prospects are a duplication of resources.
    Good point.

Let et me put it this way: the Steelers took Shazier, despite already having Williams & Spence. Likewise, even though they already have Thomas & Mitchell, who are both like Thomspon, I could see them "upgrading" the position.

Also, i read somewhere that they might be moving away from the traditional S and FS roles, and using the safeties more interchangeably. On one play, Mitchell might be the SS, and on the next play he's the FS. Lake has commented on how both Thomas & Mitchell can play both safety roles (Allen can, as well). In which case, another guy like them makes sense.

But, again, I hear your point.

Lastly... true, no one is gonna be Troy. I'm just hoping for the next Lee Flowers.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Good point.

Let et me put it this way: the Steelers took Shazier, despite already having Williams & Spence. Likewise, even though they already have Thomas & Mitchell, who are both like Thomspon, I could see them "upgrading" the position.

Also, i read somewhere that they might be moving away from the traditional S and FS roles, and using the safeties more interchangeably. On one play, Mitchell might be the SS, and on the next play he's the FS. Lake has commented on how both Thomas & Mitchell can play both safety roles (Allen can, as well). In which case, another guy like them makes sense.

But, again, I hear your point.

Lastly... true, no one is gonna be Troy. I'm just hoping for the next Lee Flowers.
    All very true. I guess rather than the next Lee Flowers, I would want the next Carnell Lake. Again, that may be too much to hope for.

- - - Updated - - -

I could see them going either CB or OLB in R1, followed by the opposite position in R2. (CB then OLB, or OLB then CB)

i dont thnk think that Carter makes it to 56. I think that he slips into the end of R1. Till would be an interesting pick in R3. I am more of a Markus Golden fan, but same difference.

I, too, think that they should double-dip at CB, as well as at OLB. Something like:

R1: CB/OLB
    R2: OLB/CB
    R5: OLB: Lyndon Trail, Norfolk
    R6: CB: Ladarius Gunter, Miami... Quandre Diggs, Texas... Wayne Lyons, Stanford... Steve Nelson, Oregon St.... Lorenzo Doss, Tulane... Bobby McCain, Memphis
    I also wouldn't be shocked to see a "double dip" at least at one of either CB or OLB. Tomlin/Colbert has demonstrated a willingness to do that in the past when they are trying to reload quickly. Thinking Timmons/Woodley and Sanders/Brown.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

All very true. I guess rather than the next Lee Flowers, I would want the next Carnell Lake. Again, that may be too much to hope for.

- - - Updated - - -

I also wouldn't be shocked to see a "double dip" at least at one of either CB or OLB. Tomlin/Colbert has demonstrated a willingness to do that in the past when they are trying to reload quickly. Thinking Timmons/Woodley and Sanders/Brown.
    I think or at least hope they will double dip also. Add in C.Brown/C.Allen (unfortunately) to their draft history. Also, forgot K.Lewis/C.Butler for CB.....DeCastro/Adams/Beachum for the OL. They lucked out on Beachum but Adams hasn't reached his 2nd round potential.
    Last edited by tube517; 04-18-2015 at 06:57 AM.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

- - - Updated - - -

This is true in the case of Woodley and Timmons but for Sanders and Brown, Brown was a six-round draft pick, so I'm sure the steelers was not thinking that Antonio Brown was to become perhaps the best WR in the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    This is true in the case of Woodley and Timmons but for Sanders and Brown, Brown was a six-round draft pick, so I'm sure the steelers was not thinking that Antonio Brown was to become perhaps the best WR in the NFL
    Obviously not. But it is uncommon for a team to take 2 players at the same position group in the same draft class. Not totally rare or anything, but if you look at the "typical" Steelers draft in the last 10-12 years or so, they usually spread the picks around the roster. But there are times that they kinda pile on a position group or player role.

I hope with the pass rush and the DBs that is the case in this draft. Even if it means putting off TE or DL for another year.
    I hope pa

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to have a SS like Carnell Lake. Troy was on his own level; Lake was an actual human.

Exactly. They needed a WR; so they drafted Sanders & AB. Again, I don't expect the next AB, but I'd love to find the next Ike Taylor.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Yes, the Steelers will most likely BPA the CB or OLB position in the first round.

IMO, this draft and many before it have lacked a true, can't miss CB. I would like to see a CB come out that not only has the outstanding physical abilities, but also a high intelligence to pair with it. For example, Ike Taylor was strictly a speed CB. His fundamentals and intelligence for the game were lacking. Imagine how well Taylor would have been if he had Carnell Lake's mind?

I am hoping the Steelers find a CB at 22 that is worth the value. Last year's draft offered no such CB when it came for the Steelers to pick.

When will the next Rod Woodson surface from the NCAA? : )
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Yes, the Steelers will most likely BPA the CB or OLB position in the first round.

IMO, this draft and many before it have lacked a true, can't miss CB. I would like to see a CB come out that not only has the outstanding physical abilities, but also a high intelligence to pair with it. For example, Ike Taylor was strictly a speed CB. His fundamentals and intelligence for the game were lacking. Imagine how well Taylor would have been if he had Carnell Lake's mind?

I am hoping the Steelers find a CB at 22 that is worth the value. Last year's draft offered no such CB when it came for the Steelers to pick.

When will the next Rod Woodson surface from the NCAA? : )
    I agree: they should go CB then OLB, or OLB then CB.

That said, at 22, the elite pass-rushers may be all gone. And, as you said, there's not an elite CB in this draft; there may not even be a CB worthy of 22. The sweet spot (best value) is around 30-40. A trade back and THEN getting a CB would be ideal.

As as far as Rod Woodson goes: everyone is waiting for that type of player. Patrick Peterson is close, but you had to be in the top 3 to get him. Same goes with any other elite CB that may come along. Revis at 13 was a steal, and no one knew that Richard Sherman was going to be as good as he is. Aside from those three, the CB position as a whole is good, but not "Rod Woodson good." Ergo, if a Rod Woodson-esque player comes along, he won't last past the fifth pick...

...and, I hope that the Steelers never "earn" a top 5 pick.

Member Array title="Pappy is on a distinguished road">

Thats the dilemma.

I agree with you, I love the Thompson kid. I think he is one of the steals of this draft.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Teegre - so weird seeing only "19" posts assigned to you.

Anyway - good analysis. I copied your list here:

14. Landon Collins, safety, Alabama
    15. Vic Beasley, outside linebacker, Clemson
    16. Shane Ray, outside linebacker, Missouri
    17. Alvin Dupree, outside linebacker Kentucky
    18. Eli Harold, outside linebacker, Virginia
    19. Kevin Johnson, cornerback, Wake Forest
    20. Jalen Collins, cornerback, LSU
    21. Alex Carter, cornerback, Stanford
    22. Malcolm Brown, nose tackle, Texas
    23. Owamagbe Odighizuwa, outside linebacker, UCLA
    24. Cam Erving, left guard, Florida State

I don't think Beasley will be available. Most mocks have us taking Landon Collins or Kevin Johnson. I would lean towards the CB as well. I like the idea of Shaq Thompson in round 2 but we may need to move up in round 2 to get him. I am hoping one of the other players on your list is available if we stay put - hoping Eli Harold is still there.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Welcome to SU, teegre and you, too ETL! Sorry your old home disappeared but very happy you've found SU. I'm excited to see so many good and knowledgeable fans finding their way to our little corner of the universe. I look forward to reading your articles.

I was listening in my car on the way home Friday and didn't catch the first round. It was Jim Miller and Pat Kirwin hosting. I caught the second round and they had us trading up with Buffalo to take a CB (a 4th round pick traded). They had us taking a safety in the first round.

I tweeted Jim Miller to get the details and this is what they are projecting for Pittsburgh. Interesting because Ike Taylor had us taking this CB also, although I'm not sure if he was specific about which round. he was impressed with the CB from LSU...he must be catching the eye of someone in Pittsburgh and so many mock drafts are leaning in this direction. It's gonna to be fun to see how it all plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    I agree with you, I love the Thompson kid. I think he is one of the steals of this draft.
    When people are discussing the safeties in this draft, his name is often left out. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it'd be nice if he turned out like Lake... who was also an undersized LB who switched to SS.

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Teegre - so weird seeing only "19" posts assigned to you.

Anyway - good analysis. I copied your list here:

14. Landon Collins, safety, Alabama
    15. Vic Beasley, outside linebacker, Clemson
    16. Shane Ray, outside linebacker, Missouri
    17. Alvin Dupree, outside linebacker Kentucky
    18. Eli Harold, outside linebacker, Virginia
    19. Kevin Johnson, cornerback, Wake Forest
    20. Jalen Collins, cornerback, LSU
    21. Alex Carter, cornerback, Stanford
    22. Malcolm Brown, nose tackle, Texas
    23. Owamagbe Odighizuwa, outside linebacker, UCLA
    24. Cam Erving, left guard, Florida State

I don't think Beasley will be available. Most mocks have us taking Landon Collins or Kevin Johnson. I would lean towards the CB as well. I like the idea of Shaq Thompson in round 2 but we may need to move up in round 2 to get him. I am hoping one of the other players on your list is available if we stay put - hoping Eli Harold is still there.
    Yea, it's crazy. Only 19 posts... and no where near the 29,000 thanks. LOL

(It's good to see a familiar face.)

Speaking of trades: I'd love to trade back with Dallas (who might want to move up in front of Arizona, in order to squire a RB); then, take Carter. Good value spot. Then, using that extra pick, trade back up into the early part of R2, and draft Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Welcome to SU, teegre and you, too ETL! Sorry your old home disappeared but very happy you've found SU. I'm excited to see so many good and knowledgeable fans finding their way to our little corner of the universe. I look forward to reading your articles.

I was listening in my car on the way home Friday and didn't catch the first round. It was Jim Miller and Pat Kirwin hosting. I caught the second round and they had us trading up with Buffalo to take a CB (a 4th round pick traded). They had us taking a safety in the first round.

I tweeted Jim Miller to get the details and this is what they are projecting for Pittsburgh. Interesting because Ike Taylor had us taking this CB also, although I'm not sure if he was specific about which round. he was impressed with the CB from LSU...he must be catching the eye of someone in Pittsburgh and so many mock drafts are leaning in this direction. It's gonna to be fun to see how it all plays out.

Thank you for the warm welcome. SF is gone, but this is an opportunity to make new friends. And, thank you for reading my article; I try to entertain.

CB, S, & OLB... none of those three picks would surprise me in R1. In fact, I'd take those these positions as the first three picks, in any order.
    CB, OLB, S
    S, CB, OLB
    OLB, S, CB
    ...et cetera...

Jalen Collins is interesting. He is raw. He was originally a safety, and only played 13 games at CB. He is the quintessential "potential" type of guy. He's not the best right now, but a lot of people project him to "possibly" be the best CB in this draft.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

When people are discussing the safeties in this draft, his name is often left out. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it'd be nice if he turned out like Lake... who was also an undersized LB who switched to SS.
    And also could play corner in a pinch......

I agree: they should go CB then OLB, or OLB then CB.

That said, at 22, the elite pass-rushers may be all gone. And, as you said, there's not an elite CB in this draft; there may not even be a CB worthy of 22. The sweet spot (best value) is around 30-40. A trade back and THEN getting a CB would be ideal.
    Waynes will be long gone (though I would love to see him slip to #22) That leaves the three CB's that we have discussed extensively. Peters, Johnson and Collins

Obviously I like Johnson the best out of those three simply because he may be the best man-corner out of the three...but I simply cant exclude the other two, not would I be disappointed in any of the three.

The wild card for me would be if OLB Dupree was available. I may be very tempted to take him and grab Cb's in the 2nd and 3rd.

-- Jack Lambert --