Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TPOP: Steelers draft board

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: TPOP: Steelers draft board

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Speaking of trades: I'd love to trade back with Dallas (who might want to move up in front of Arizona, in order to squire a RB); then, take Carter. Good value spot. Then, using that extra pick, trade back up into the early part of R2, and draft Thompson.
    if the Steelers want to draft Alex Carter they can wait until they select at 2(56). he'll still be available then...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2015/CB

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

While Thompson may be a nice player - I think he is a terrible pick for the Steelers in the top 2 rounds. His best position is a Derrick Brooks type role in a 4-3. Don't need that. Or a safety of some sort. But at safety he is likely 2 full seasons away from making an impact. He certainly won't play outside of special teams as a rookie. While I am not disputing that Thompson is potentially a very good NFL player, the time it would take for him to impact is so far out that I don't feel that on a defense that is desperate to improve quickly that he is a wise use of resources.

Now if the board shakes out in a way that it is either take Thompson or an obviously lesser talent -- sure, go ahead and take him. But in the second round, I would have to think really hard between a guy like him and say the corner out of Connecticut, or the DB out of Miami (OH). All three would be NFL "raw" at DB, but Thompson hasn't even played DB since high school.

Likely, all totally irrelevant, as Thompson is discussed by many as long off the board by the Steelers 2nd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    While Thompson may be a nice player - I think he is a terrible pick for the Steelers in the top 2 rounds. His best position is a Derrick Brooks type role in a 4-3. Don't need that. Or a safety of some sort. But at safety he is likely 2 full seasons away from making an impact. He certainly won't play outside of special teams as a rookie. While I am not disputing that Thompson is potentially a very good NFL player, the time it would take for him to impact is so far out that I don't feel that on a defense that is desperate to improve quickly that he is a wise use of resources.

Now if the board shakes out in a way that it is either take Thompson or an obviously lesser talent -- sure, go ahead and take him. But in the second round, I would have to think really hard between a guy like him and say the corner out of Connecticut, or the DB out of Miami (OH). All three would be NFL "raw" at DB, but Thompson hasn't even played DB since high school.

Likely, all totally irrelevant, as Thompson is discussed by many as long off the board by the Steelers 2nd round pick.

I'm with you on Thompson. LOVE him as a player and might consider him as that "extra" LBer that Troy played in certain schemes, except that we have two inside linebackers who can handle that duty now.

I think that we will have to go with an OLB or a CB who isn't a "tweener" in those first two rounds.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Waynes will be long gone (though I would love to see him slip to #22) That leaves the three CB's that we have discussed extensively. Peters, Johnson and Collins

Obviously I like Johnson the best out of those three simply because he may be the best man-corner out of the three...but I simply cant exclude the other two, not would I be disappointed in any of the three.

The wild card for me would be if OLB Dupree was available. I may be very tempted to take him and grab Cb's in the 2nd and 3rd.
    It will be interesting to see who all is there at 22. There may be a good OLB still left, in which case, I would inclined to go OLB, and then CB (there are about 10 CB prospects in R2).

As as far as the R1 CBs go:
    Peters scares me; Collins is raw; and, the Steelers met with Johnson's family. The Steelers have met with all three; so, any of them is a possibility.

The name I bring up is Alex Carter. Once teams start watching tape of this kid, I think he'll rise up into the end of R1. And... he, too, met with the Steelers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    if the Steelers want to draft Alex Carter they can wait until they select at 2(56). he'll still be available then...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2015/CB
    Very interesting. I completely disagree with Carter's ranking. I truly do not think he'll be there at 56; I actually think that he'll slide into late R1.

- - - Updated - - -

Good points, but this is probably the best.

On a lot of boards, he has become the #2 safety in the draft, and thus, he'll almost assuredly be gone by 56.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

If Marcus Peters is there at 22, I believe the Steelers take him. He is a plug & play talent. They will select Donovan Smith from Penn State in the second. They are so high on Smith, that they are afraid he won't be there when it is their turn in the second. If they can find a trading partner, the Steelers would jump at the chance to trade down and get two second round selections. They would forego the opportunity to select one of the top corners to get Nate Orchard and Donovan Smith in the second.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    If Marcus Peters is there at 22, I believe the Steelers take him. He is a plug & play talent. They will select Donovan Smith from Penn State in the second. They are so high on Smith, that they are afraid he won't be there when it is their turn in the second. If they can find a trading partner, the Steelers would jump at the chance to trade down and get two second round selections. They would forego the opportunity to select one of the top corners to get Nate Orchard and Donovan Smith in the second.
    Well that would be a disaster of a draft.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

PETERS:
    Peters scares me. High reward, but also high risk.

SMITH
    I'm interested: where have you heard about this affinity that the Steelers have for Donovan Smith. On my old message board, someone else was saying something similar.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Well that would be a disaster of a draft.
    I don't think the Steelers would agree. I believe they see real value in Darryl Roberts, Doran Grant, Steve Nelson and Senquez Golson. Alex Carter as well. They would be very happy with one of those guys in combination with who they believe has the skills to become a complete OLB, and the best left tackle in the draft.

Add in Jeff Heuerman,
    Matt Jones, Durrell Eskridge, or Jordan Richards, and a wide receiver, and I think the Steelers would be very happy with that draft.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

They will select Donovan Smith from Penn State in the second. They are so high on Smith, that they are afraid he won't be there when it is their turn in the second. If they can find a trading partner, the Steelers would jump at the chance to trade down and get two second round selections. They would forego the opportunity to select one of the top corners to get Nate Orchard and Donovan Smith in the second.
    how exactly do you know this? do you have an inside source or is this just speculation on your part?

PETERS:
    Peters scares me. High reward, but also high risk.

SMITH
    I'm interested: where have you heard about this affinity that the Steelers have for Donovan Smith. On my old message board, someone else was saying something similar.
    Steelers scouts were at his pro day and were watching him closely according to Rob Rang at CBS sports. I think he is a legitimate possiblity in the 2nd round but ONLY if there is a run on CB's and OLB's. I personally have 13 Cb's and 12 OLB's rated above him so I think that its pretty unlikely.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

how exactly do you know this? do you have an inside source or is this just speculation on your part?
    There has been a lot of "noise" linking Smith to the Steelers. So much so that one mock draft, Pro Football Talk, has Smith as the Steelers' first round pick. I think that is an overreaction, but it does show that national reporters place credence in this "noise." Factor in the roster and depth chart, which reveals a need for a versatile offensive lineman to fill in due to the inevitable injury, and the contract status of Ramon Foster, and the selection of an offensive lineman is a high priority.

The draft stock of Donovan Smith continues to rise. There are mock drafts that show Smith going in the second round to teams other than the Steelers. Smith is attending the draft.

Mike Munchak reportedly really liked what he saw during his visit to Penn State. I think Munchak wants at least one guy in this draft, and if it isn't Smith, I think it is Sean Hickey, who has been working out with Tunch Ilkin. Donovan Smith has the size and skill to play left tackle, even though he is still a work in progress. Smith hasn't visited the Steelers, but maybe the Steelers don't need to see him again, and they want to avoid the appearance of interest in the guy.

Put all these things together and that tells me the Steelers have him targeted. I could be wrong, but I don't get paid to prognosticate like all the talking heads that will also be wrong.

I don't think the Steelers would agree. I believe they see real value in Darryl Roberts, Doran Grant, Steve Nelson and Senquez Golson. Alex Carter as well. They would be very happy with one of those guys in combination with who they believe has the skills to become a complete OLB, and the best left tackle in the draft.

Add in Jeff Heuerman,
    Matt Jones, Durrell Eskridge, or Jordan Richards, and a wide receiver, and I think the Steelers would be very happy with that draft.
    I actually have no problem waiting on a CB. Particularly since, unless Butler goes a totally different route, the Steelers will not be playing a ton of man coverages - so they would be "wasting" a large portion of the top 3-5 CB prospects skill sets anyways. Based on everything I have read, I just think Orchard is a mistake in the first round. I think Orchard sounds like a guy who will have a solid NFL career, but not spectacular. We already have that at OLB in a first round pick in Jarvis Jones. They need an OLB that can jump start the pass rush with having one or two "elite" skills (lightening first step, crazy strong a la Harrison, whatever it is) and I don't think Orchard is that guy.

You take Orchard in the first - already dipping into a second tier of talent
    Smith in the second - maybe he is one of the most talented OL prospects in the class - but you are delaying DB and more reinforcements in the front 7 on D
    CB in the third - now you are deeper into the 3rd tier of DB talent.

Can play this out through all the rounds, but I think you all see the idea. The first round is where you are intended to draft guys that go to Pro Bowls and make All Pro teams for the next 10 years. Not guys from the 2nd or 3rd tier of talent at a position group because you are reaching based on need.

I know this sounds crazy, but I would rather have the 3rd best WR in the class then the 7th best CB or the 9th best edge rusher. The only thing I am against in the first round is DT, unless someone can convince me that DT would play more than 45% of the snaps.

There has been a lot of "noise" linking Smith to the Steelers. So much so that one mock draft, Pro Football Talk, has Smith as the Steelers' first round pick. I think that is an overreaction, but it does show that national reporters place credence in this "noise." Factor in the roster and depth chart, which reveals a need for a versatile offensive lineman to fill in due to the inevitable injury, and the contract status of Ramon Foster, and the selection of an offensive lineman is a high priority.

The draft stock of Donovan Smith continues to rise. There are mock drafts that show Smith going in the second round to teams other than the Steelers. Smith is attending the draft.

Mike Munchak reportedly really liked what he saw during his visit to Penn State. I think Munchak wants at least one guy in this draft, and if it isn't Smith, I think it is Sean Hickey, who has been working out with Tunch Ilkin. Donovan Smith has the size and skill to play left tackle, even though he is still a work in progress. Smith hasn't visited the Steelers, but maybe the Steelers don't need to see him again, and they want to avoid the appearance of interest in the guy.

Put all these things together and that tells me the Steelers have him targeted. I could be wrong, but I don't get paid to prognosticate like all the talking heads that will also be wrong.
    good response, thanks!

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Hi all.

I was a long-time contributor over at Steelers Fever. Then, kaploowey!!! I used to write articles for Steelers Fever (in the pre-kaploowey days), and I currently write for a website called The Point of Pittsburgh. Here is my most recent article about the Steelers.

The Big Board
    by Tiger Rowan

In any given draft, I take the spot at which the Steelers are drafting, and make a list of that same number of “possible” players that could be drafted, up to and including when the Steelers pick. This year, the Steelers draft 22nd, so I have created a list of twenty-two prospects. Furthermore, for those twenty-two candidates, I have divided them out into different categories...

Read more here:
    http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/the-big-board/

I hope that you enjoy the article.
    Great stuff and Welcome aboard !

Q: What took you so long to join the BEST Steeler Messageboard on the Internet ?
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    Great stuff and Welcome aboard !

Q: What took you so long to join the BEST Steeler Messageboard on the Internet ?
    I appreciate the kind words, and the warm welcome.

And, to answer your query: Lord Lannister had my daughter in his clutches, and I had to fight the Mountain in order to finally free her.

(I've been on a Game of Thrones kick recently.)

I appreciate the kind words, and the warm welcome.

And, to answer your query: Lord Lannister had my daughter in his clutches, and I had to fight the Mountain in order to finally free her.

Take this coin...say the words "Valar Morghulis"...and you may enter any conversation.

-- Jack Lambert --

Take this coin...say the words "Valar Morghulis"...and you may enter any conversation.

That is freakin' awesome!!!

Thank you.

There was a discussion started, on my old forum, about Donovan Smith. Someone had posted an article or something... and, it led to a nice little discussion about him.

Anyway, Munchak was the key.

Munchak likes the kid, and that goes a long way. If they get Smith and play him at LT, moving Beachum over to LG: great. If they draft him to play LG: great. Either way: as long as the LG spot is upgraded. Foster is good, but during the playoffs, Ngata exposed this one weakness on offense. Improve the LG spot, and there is almost nothing that this offense can't do.

Munchak likes the kid, and that goes a long way. If they get Smith and play him at LT, moving Beachum over to LG: great.
    Beachum is a technician.

I prefer my guards to be more the mauler types...

Beachum is a technician.

I prefer my guards to be more the mauler types...
    I hear you... I do. But...

Think about DD. He's best at pulling and blocking on the run. One-to-one/straight forward blocking is not DD's forté. The counter left (or whatever the play was called) that they ran against Cincy (at one point, like five time in a row) was unstoppable, because the play was designed to match DD up against an ILB. DD wins that battle every single time.

Now... imagine Beachum doing the exact same thing, only to the right.

Bell might have 2,000 yards rushing... by game ten.

Now... imagine Beachum doing the exact same thing, only to the right.

Bell might have 2,000 yards rushing... by game ten.
    that would be pretty impressive indeed, especially considering Bell is suspended for the first 3 games of the season...

that would be pretty impressive indeed, especially considering Bell is suspended for the first 3 games of the season...
    I was told that there would be no math...

LOL...I want my coin back.
    D'oh.

I shall redeem myself...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Landon Collins visiting today.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

https://twitter.com/BobLabriola/stat...92646781956096

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Landon Collins visiting today.
    The more & more I think about it, this is the pick that needs to happen at 22.

My gut tells me that the OLBs will all be gone by 22, and the value just isn't there for CB.

Simply, the drop-off from the CBs available at 22, and the ones likely there at 56, is minimal. Whereas, the drop-off from Collins to the rest of the safeties is significant.

If Shamarko is ready, then Collins isn't needed. Then again, Shamarko is always injured. In other words, who really knows whether Shamarko is going to be the starting SS of the future (or, if he's just a good back-up).

- - - Updated - - -

If you switch the R2 pick to a different CB (Quinten Rollins), I'd take those guys as the first four picks.

The more & more I think about it, this is the pick that needs to happen at 22.

My gut tells me that the OLBs will all be gone by 22, and the value just isn't there for CB.

Simply, the drop-off from the CBs available at 22, and the ones likely there at 56, is minimal. Whereas, the drop-off from Collins to the rest of the safeties is significant.

If Shamarko is ready, then Collins isn't needed. Then again, Shamarko is always injured. In other words, who really knows whether Shamarko is going to be the starting SS of the future (or, if he's just a good back-up).

- - - Updated - - -

If you switch the R2 pick to a different CB (Quinten Rollins), I'd take those guys as the first four picks.
    Gotta believe that the FO hasn't given up on Shamarko. LOVE that they are bringing in Tull.

-- Jack Lambert --

Gotta believe that the FO hasn't given up on Shamarko. LOVE that they are bringing in Tull.
    It may not even be that they've given up on Shamarko, as much as it is that they aren't 100% certain about what they have. Think about it this way: Vince Williams looked good, and they had Sean Spence... yet, they still drafted Ryan Shazier. Likewise, Shamarko has looked good (when not injured), but they still might draft Collins.

Tull in R3? R2? R4???

It may not even be that they've given up on Shamarko, as much as it is that they aren't 100% certain about what they have. Think about it this way: Vince Williams looked good, and they had Sean Spence... yet, they still drafted Ryan Shazier. Likewise, Shamarko has looked good (when not injured), but they still might draft Collins.

Tull in R3? R2? R4???

I think Tull may be there in Rd3. I see your point with Williams and Spence...BUT...Williams was drafted as insurance in the 6th round. I think the Steelers tale a similar approach and draft a safety in the 4-6 round.

-- Jack Lambert --