Thread: Do Visits Show Steelers Hand In Upcoming Draft?

Do Visits Show Steelers Hand In Upcoming Draft?

The Steelers have traditionally kept their draft strategies a well kept secret. Sure, we may know what their needs are and may even have a pretty good idea as to who may be available based on draft boards and the occasional well placed rumor.

Though I am sure the front office still has a lot of work and preparation to do before the draft, I think we can at least see where they currently stand based on who they have visited with at the Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro days, and personal invitation to visit.

Perhaps our greatest need is at Cornerback.

To date...we have made contact with 3 players that I give a first round grade to: Marcus Peters, Kevin Johnson and Jalen Collins. (By the way, out of those three, Collins is the only one in which they met with twice). Perhaps more telling is that we have only met with one cornerback that has a 2nd round rating, that being Quinton Rollins. The rest of our interest seems to lie in the 3-5 rounds with: Eric Rowe, Charles Gaines, Kevin White, Senquez Golson, and Quandre Diggs.

Our other obvious need is at Outside Linebacker.

The first round prospects we have met with are: Vic Beasley, Shane Ray, Randy Gregory, Alvin Dupree, and Owamagbe Odighizuwa (Who I think is a late 1st early 2nd pick depending on his medical red flag) In the 2nd round we have talked to Lorenzo Mauldin, Trey Flowers, Hau'oli Kikaha and Davis Tull. Again...it may be very telling that we are not looking at OLB prospects in the 3-5.

So what does this tell us?

Well, the first thing that jumps out is the obvious fact that ALL of those first round OLB's are top 15 prospects with the exception of Owamagbe Odighizuwa who I think should be there at #22. That being said, I think that at least one of the first round CB prospects that we have met with will still be on the board and I have all three graded OVER Odighizuwa.

If that ends up being the case, we should take a CB in the first round and therefore may be looking at a 2nd round OLB and 3rd round CB. Of course one of the first round OLB's "may" slide...and that's probably why we are still meeting with them.

This is, of course all speculation and ANYTHING can happened....but it does help us into at least a bit of the front office mindset.

What do you think?
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Do Visits Show Steelers Hand In Upcoming Draft?

I think we desperately need a CB more than an OLB, but we're dead-set on the idea that we're going to take a pass rusher, the drumbeat is going, and that's what it's going to be. Our biggest danger is that one of these highly rated OLBs slips a few spots and we take him as "OMG best player available" and pass up an equally talented CB, which again, we need much worse. Then there's a run on CBs and we get skunked on value in the second round, so we're looking at the same old BS of a 5th-round guy who doesn't even make the practice squad.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I think we desperately need a CB more than an OLB, but we're dead-set on the idea that we're going to take a pass rusher, the drumbeat is going, and that's what it's going to be. Our biggest danger is that one of these highly rated OLBs slips a few spots and we take him as "OMG best player available" and pass up an equally talented CB, which again, we need much worse. Then there's a run on CBs and we get skunked on value in the second round, so we're looking at the same old BS of a 5th-round guy who doesn't even make the practice squad.
    I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell that we wait until the 5th round.

This draft is VERY deep at CB. Even in a scenario where someone like OLB Dupree is selected at #22....We could still draft CB's Rollins and Rowe in the 2nd and 3rd.

There is no scenario...ever...in which we wait until the fifth round.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

Honestly I think if the medicals check out ( and rumor say they have ) Hau'oli Kikaha ends up being a first round pick anywhere after 20 , he might be the most disruptive guy in the class and if not for his medical red flags would be higher on most boards

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

My mind keeps going back to Collins. The Steelers have shown interest in him early and their interest has not seemed to diminished any. Of course this could all be a smoke screen. I think Dupree is the one to watch. He is the only one on you list that may start to slid, and like you stated, the Steelers have show interest. I still will not be worried if they don't take a CB in the first, there are several CBs that will go in the 2nd and 3rd that can upgrade our defensive secondary. Personally, I think we go CB, OLBer, CB. Maybe a CB that can play safety. I am little surprised they haven't talk to LSUs Hunter yet, but there is still time.

Would not mind a draft of Collins, Hunter, Rowe

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Honestly I think if the medicals check out ( and rumor say they have ) Hau'oli Kikaha ends up being a first round pick anywhere after 20 , he might be the most disruptive guy in the class and if not for his medical red flags would be higher on most boards
    I worry about Kikaha's ability in coverage. Beast as a pass rusher...but not the quickness or instincts that I would like to see in a well rounded OLB prospect. Wouldn't be entirely disappointed if we picked him up in the 2nd round....but I have absolutely fallen in love with Davis Tull.

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Just based on your visits list. My dream scenario I think is we get lucky with one of top 4 OLB. Then who knows, Rollins may go before Peters and we somehow get him too.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    My mind keeps going back to Collins. The Steelers have shown interest in him early and their interest has not seemed to diminished any. Of course this could all be a smoke screen. I think Dupree is the one to watch. He is the only one on you list that may start to slid, and like you stated, the Steelers have show interest. I still will not be worried if they don't take a CB in the first, there are several CBs that will go in the 2nd and 3rd that can upgrade our defensive secondary. Personally, I think we go CB, OLBer, CB. Maybe a CB that can play safety. I am little surprised they haven't talk to LSUs Hunter yet, but there is still time.

Would not mind a draft of Collins, Hunter, Rowe
    My dream draft right now would be Johnson...Tull...and Rowe.

By the way Tex....Another player that I like as a later round sleeper is TE C.J. Uzomah of Auburn...6'5 262...under-utilized at Auburn but looks to have all the tools. Pretty good blocker...soft hands...and ran a 4.63 at his Pro day.

Could probably be had in the 6th round.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    Just based on your visits list. My dream scenario I think is we get lucky with one of top 4 OLB. Then who knows, Rollins may go before Peters and we somehow get him too.
    I personally have Rollins and Johnson ranked above Peters right now...mainly based on character worries. But if they are gone I would take a chance with him.

-- Jack Lambert --

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Does this draft contain a Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, Deion Sanders etc...? When was the last time the NCAA has provided an elite, can't miss CB?
    Hater = Realist

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Does this draft contain a Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, Deion Sanders etc...? When was the last time the NCAA has provided an elite, can't miss CB?
    Darrelle Revis

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

300 pound TE Cameron Clear coming for a visit….. 300 pounds??

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    300 pound TE Cameron Clear coming for a visit….. 300 pounds??
    I saw Clear listed elsewhere as an OT...must be something of a project player like Villanueva who currently on our roster.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Many will be very upset if.......

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03...atest-version/

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell that we wait until the 5th round.

This draft is VERY deep at CB. Even in a scenario where someone like OLB Dupree is selected at #22....We could still draft CB's Rollins and Rowe in the 2nd and 3rd.

There is no scenario...ever...in which we wait until the fifth round.

Lol, don't be so sure. We always find a way.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    McShay is high.

Dwinsgames

its clear why McShay is not working for a teams front office ... why would you burn a 1st round pick on a guy who is going to ultimately be a backup and down the road potentially could steal a starting job but only at the cost of another high round pick you have on the teams job ... that selection would have LUXURY written all over it and can not afford Luxury selections esp early in the draft we need starters at two key positions ...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Everyone would like to see Colbert lose his job if he makes this pick !!!!

Dwinsgames

Everyone would like to see Colbert lose his job if he makes this pick !!!!
    if he does ... he should ... anything less than doubling up at OLB or secondary and taking the other as well first 3 picks 2 DBs and OLB or 2 OLB and a DB ...anything less his head should be on the chopping block for not understanding team needs

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

The answer to the question asked in the thread title is an obvious yes.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2414836-what-recent-history-suggests-about-pittsburgh-steelers-2015-nfl-draft-plan

" Dating back to 2010, they have selected 17 players with pre-draft visits. This list includes two first-round selections (Maurkice Pouncey and Jarvis Jones) and three second-round picks (Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams and Le’Veon Bell)."

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For the CB question earlier up thread -- Revis was already mentioned, so maybe Haden or Peterson? Kyle Fuller looked awesome before he got hurt last year.

Also, for many years now one can typically predict who the Steelers will NOT draft by their visit lists. If they don't bring them in for a sit-down, they are not drafting them in the first 3 rounds. Not a hard and fast rule, but a pretty good barometer.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03...incolbert-era/

According to this article, the steelers are likely to make 5 out of their 8 draft picks prospects that have visited the team based on previous drafting trends from Colbert and Tomlin
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

As far as I can tell it is almost guaranteed that the Steelers will draft a kid coming from the NCAA.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    For the CB question earlier up thread -- Revis was already mentioned, so maybe Haden or Peterson? Kyle Fuller looked awesome before he got hurt last year.

Also, for many years now one can typically predict who the Steelers will NOT draft by their visit lists. If they don't bring them in for a sit-down, they are not drafting them in the first 3 rounds. Not a hard and fast rule, but a pretty good barometer.
    Exactly

-- Jack Lambert --