Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Article on Why Jarvis Jones is Terrible

Dwinsgames

Re: Interesting Article on Why Jarvis Jones is Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    SMDH....if that is true, my god have i lost a lot of respect for colbert
    it is as true as the letters I am typing now ....

I am not 100% sure but believe it was in one of his pressers ... but he did say it and I did hear it

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

If Kevin Colbert said anything like that, do you think he meant the Steelers purposely leave players they have evaluated as better, to choose a lesser player, with the intent of filling the practice squad? Complete and utter nonsense.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    it is as true as the letters I am typing now ....

I am not 100% sure but believe it was in one of his pressers ... but he did say it and I did hear it
    I sorta remember that as well. But wasn't it after like the Arizona SB victory or something? I kind of feel like it was in the context of a situation where 18 of 22 starting spots were locked down by above average or better players, there was some solid depth, etc. In that case, after the 4th round or so, you aren't getting a "starter" on a loaded championship team. You are drafting developmental projects etc.

For instance, if that was indeed the time that Colbert said the quote, then in that time period McCullers is on the practice squad and never sees a "hat" on gamedays. Is he still a good pick?

Now if Colbert said it like 2 years ago -- then yet another in a series of his weird grumpy old man notions.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I sorta remember that as well. But wasn't it after like the Arizona SB victory or something? I kind of feel like it was in the context of a situation where 18 of 22 starting spots were locked down by above average or better players, there was some solid depth, etc. In that case, after the 4th round or so, you aren't getting a "starter" on a loaded championship team. You are drafting developmental projects etc.

For instance, if that was indeed the time that Colbert said the quote, then in that time period McCullers is on the practice squad and never sees a "hat" on gamedays. Is he still a good pick?

Now if Colbert said it like 2 years ago -- then yet another in a series of his weird grumpy old man notions.
    I honestly can not recall " WHEN " he said it but know he said it ....

regardless of time frame *for me* you never look to fill your practice squad with draft picks ... you look to build competition on your roster and improve your team

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

The purposes of the practice squad are to develop players not quite ready for the NFL, to stash players the coach / GM believe may help the team at some point during the season as an injury or performance replacement, as a way to expand the bottom of the roster (some teams make practice squad transactions often), and to keep players that contribute on the scout team. Development of players is the primary reason practice squads exist, especially since the demise of NFL Europe.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    The purposes of the practice squad are to develop players not quite ready for the NFL, to stash players the coach / GM believe may help the team at some point during the season as an injury or performance replacement, as a way to expand the bottom of the roster (some teams make practice squad transactions often), and to keep players that contribute on the scout team. Development of players is the primary reason practice squads exist, especially since the demise of NFL Europe.

and for me .... that player pool should come via UDFA pick ups

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    pretty much my point ... except ....... Colbert publicly stated a few years back after the 4th round he is looking for practice squad players , I do not have a link because it was on TV but I am sure someone printed it someplace ...

I do not subscibe to that methodology every pick should IMO be used to better the team and create a greater level of competition for jobs and consequently you end up with a deeper squad ..part of our problem is squandered picks in the mid to late rounds ..sure once in a blue moon you walk away with a hidden gem but you should never leave greater talent on the board for a pet project

I thought it was special teams players he was looking for in later rounds. Not exclusively, but in other words the later you're drafted the more it's going to help you make the squad if you can come right in and be an impactful player on special teams.

And regardless of what he said or what he might have meant, Kelvin Beachum, and Antonio Brown were both drafted after the 4th round by Colbert and have turned out pretty good. So relax everyone.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

SteelByDesign: Jarvis Jones: over/under 7.5 sacks in 2015?

Ray Fittipaldo: That's a good number. I'll guess under.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201505180152

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    SteelByDesign: Jarvis Jones: over/under 7.5 sacks in 2015?

Ray Fittipaldo: That's a good number. I'll guess under.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201505180152
    What did he get, 2 sacks in 3 games this year, before going out with a broken wrist? I think what we're going to find is that he will be best used as a situational pass rusher. I don't think he can hold the edge on the run effectively. Anyway if used right I could see something along the lines of 7.5-9.5 sacks. But I don't think he'll ever prove to be worth a first round pick. (hope I'm proven wrong) So if I had to bet ( and I don't, nor will I ) I would probably be looking at a push. I think he'll end up right at that number.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

under

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

denverdog: Curious as to how many TE they normally keep and your best guess who they will be this year

Ray Fittipaldo: They kept four last year if you count Will Johnson, who is more of an H-back now. It was Johnson, Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth and Michael Palmer. Palmer was not re-signed so I would imagine it would come down to Rob Blanchflower and rookie Jesse James for the last spot

Out of everything in the entire article, this just made my day.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Ike Taylor Has High Expectations For Jarvis Jones In 2015

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...jones-in-2015/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Tape doesn't lie. Jones has such a long way to go.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...e-pass-rusher/

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Here is an article on Jarvis Jones vs the run

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...s-run-defense/
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Here is an article on Jarvis Jones vs the run

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...s-run-defense/

The steelers were horrible against the run in the first 2-3 games......