Thread: Steelers Re-Sign WR Heyward-Bey To 1-Year Deal

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Re-Sign WR Heyward-Bey To 1-Year Deal

According to Missi Matthews, Steelers re-signed DHB for one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers sign Darrius Heyward-Bey

Steelers signed wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey to a one-year contract, the team announced today.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...20727585333248

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Re: Steelers Re-Sign WR Heyward-Bey To 1-Year Deal

Meh. I think there will be a few late-round WR's in the draft that would be better additions to the position group. DHB is nothing more than a ST player anymore.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Waste of time and money
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

OK, since we're apparently making roster moves at random now, I vote next we sign either James Hetfield or Butterbean.

See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He was a decent special teams contributor, but as far as a skill player, he was pretty terrible. I'd much rather see a young draft pick in his roster place.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

He will be a no. 5 receiver so he won't be doing a lot anyway

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers signed WR Darrius Heyward-Bey to a 1-year contract

DHB has dropped 8.6% of his NFL targets, highest among 1st round WR from 09-14

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/st...27153305157632

ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    He will be a no. 5 receiver so he won't be doing a lot anyway
    Can we hope he doesn't make it that far?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    He should have never been a first rounder to begin with. Another Al Davis special.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    He should have never been a first rounder to begin with. Another Al Davis special.

ranks right up there with these first round WR from 2000-2010 that never did anything to amount to the draft status they achieved and why I have always said there is no other position tougher to translate from College to NFL ...
    and I left some marginal guys out such as Crabtree because he has some success ( he is not the only marginal one either)

Troy Williamson
    Ted Ginn
    Travis Taylor
    Sylvester Morris
    R. Jay Soward
    David Terrell
    Freddie Mitchell
    Rod Gardner
    Donte' Stallworth
    Ashley Lelie
    Charles Rogers
    Bryant Johnson
    Reggie Williams
    Lee Evans
    Michael Clayton
    Michael Jenkins
    Rashaun Woods
    Mike Williams
    Matt Jones
    Mark Clayton
    Robert Meachem
    Craig Davis
    Anthony Gonzalez
    Donnie Avery

That's a good list...Out of that list, it looked like Lee Evans might have had a promising career but then just vanished...

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

We got rid of Sweed years back now we have his equal and we re-sign him??? Dumb Dumb Dumb!!! Even if he is good on Special teams he is not worth a roster spot.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If he wasn't a former first round pick, but he was a former 5th round pick that was a dominant special teams player, a willing blocker as a deep reserve WR, and a veteran presence for a young WR group, would we all react the same way?

It isn't like they are paying him as a useful wideout...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03...er-room-value/

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I'd argue that QB is a tougher position to translate to the NFL, but after that, WR is right up there as the most unpredictable. At WR though, along with the high-profile busts, you also get plenty of random guys who are successful from the 3rd through 7th rounds. So I'd argue that that's where you really want to be drafting those guys, not the first round.

Carlos Rogers ... now there's a guy who would've been great in the NFL, if he wasn't addicted to everything he could get his hands on. At least he's a good reason to break out the smilies.

See you Space Cowboy ...

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I'd argue that QB is a tougher position to translate to the NFL, but after that, WR is right up there as the most unpredictable. At WR though, along with the high-profile busts, you also get plenty of random guys who are successful from the 3rd through 7th rounds. So I'd argue that that's where you really want to be drafting those guys, not the first round.

Carlos Rogers ... now there's a guy who would've been great in the NFL, if he wasn't addicted to everything he could get his hands on. At least he's a good reason to break out the smilies.

while i see your point the reason I place WR higher on that list is WR is more about what you yourself are able to do ( more self reliant ) ... where as at QB you have to have some semblance of a rushing game , guys who can keep you at the very least semi upright and then you still need guys to catch the ball and a system that takes advantage of your skill set .....

more things have to gel at QB so many more variables as to why they succeed or fail ...

at WR you have to create separation ( that's on you ) run decent to good routes ( that's on you ) Catch the ball ( that is on you ) beat the jam ( that is on you ) the only thing the WR has to rely on someone else for is putting the ball in his catch radius ... ( that is out of his control )

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

We've signed vet WRs to be #4 or #5 guys before. Big plus if a special teamer. Sean Morey, Arnaz Battle were more ST guys. Vet guys in the past: Quincy Morgan (also returned kicks), Joey Galloway, Terence Mathis, ARE (post Foreskins), Plaxico (post J-E-T-S).

Considering we've had Limas Sweed, Lee Mays, Willie Reid, Dallas Baker, (list scrub WR here) in this spot before, this is par for the course for the Steelers.

Just keep him off the damn "All Hands" team.

while i see your point the reason I place WR higher on that list is WR is more about what you yourself are able to do ( more self reliant ) ... where as at QB you have to have some semblance of a rushing game , guys who can keep you at the very least semi upright and then you still need guys to catch the ball and a system that takes advantage of your skill set .....

more things have to gel at QB so many more variables as to why they succeed or fail ...

at WR you have to create separation ( that's on you ) run decent to good routes ( that's on you ) Catch the ball ( that is on you ) beat the jam ( that is on you ) the only thing the WR has to rely on someone else for is putting the ball in his catch radius ... ( that is out of his control )

Yeah, I guess it's true that you find a lot more good WRs on bad teams than good QBs on bad teams ... probably for all of the reasons above.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Lol...I forgot Joey Galloway was on the team for 10 minutes...