Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Regular season thread

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

2015 Regular season thread

Spring training has begun, optimism for the Buccos is off the charts. Will this be the year? Does Polanco reach his potential? Does Cole take his rightful place as the ace? What happens with Pedro at first? Kang...who knows? Can Cervelli fill the big shoes left by Martin?

All questions I cant wait to see answered.

Just about a month to go

LETS GO BUCCOS!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Re: 2015 Regular season thread

LET'S GO BUCS!

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    LET'S GO BUCS!

I never knew you were a Buccos fan

I got some 1960s Pirate pendants I found in a dusty box this year...it's like treasure

I got cheap tickets to Bradenton training camp....I know some guys

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TD's & Beer View Post
    I never knew you were a Buccos fan

I got some 1960s Pirate pendants I found in a dusty box this year...it's like treasure

I got cheap tickets to Bradenton training camp....I know some guys
    I love our Steelers, but I'm a baseball girl at heart.

Very nice collection. Just go ahead and send all that to me. I promise I'll treasure it always.

Keeping my eye on Josh Bell who is with the Altoona Curve. I didn't get to see him play at the games I attended last Summer, but I'm going to keep going until I do.

Enjoy your time at Bradenton. I'm jelly. Be sure to cheer on our Buccos and take lots of pics.

ETA: Oh, and the Pirate Parrot followed me on Twitter today. I'm a happy girl!

ROOT SPORTS ANNOUNCES 2015 PITTSBURGH PIRATES TELEVISION SCHEDULE

http://pittsburgh.rootsports.com/201...sion-schedule/

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

I played baseball as a kid so I've always been partial to baseball. I've been watching the Buccos religiously since I was a kid. I missed it bad when I joined the military, but then the invention of MLB.coms streaming service came on board. Haven't missed many games since. Watched almost every game through many many bad years. It's been fun the past 5 years or so watching this team grow and snatch up a string of promising prospects.

watched more games at three rivers than I can count. Joined the military in 2000 so I haven't been to PNC all that many times, but I've watched them in stadiums around the country when I could.

any way, not sure how I got off on that tangent, just excited for baseball season I guess

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    Oh, and the Pirate Parrot followed me on Twitter today. I'm a happy girl!
    you sexy thang

oh it was 'pennants' I meant to say...not a word I use very much in your English - my family has roots in Poland you know, we're immigrants

My Buccos are on ROOT tomorrow afternoon @ 1:00 PM!

The Buccos win it 4-2 against the O's. World Series or Bust!

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Um, yeah. This team isn't getting to the World Series. This isn't me being negative, this is me being a realist, based on what I see from the roster. Their major question marks in their rotation will be what ultimately holds them back. I still think catcher is weak, and we have absolutely no idea whether or not Pedro will be productive at the plate the way he was 2 years ago.

They will be a good team, a winning team again, but they don't have enough to get to the next level. Not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Um, yeah. This team isn't getting to the World Series. This isn't me being negative, this is me being a realist, based on what I see from the roster. Their major question marks in their rotation will be what ultimately holds them back. I still think catcher is weak, and we have absolutely no idea whether or not Pedro will be productive at the plate the way he was 2 years ago.

They will be a good team, a winning team again, but they don't have enough to get to the next level. Not yet.

Liriano, Cole, Burnett, Morton, and Worley/Locke is far from a major question mark. That's a pretty decent rotation. Cervelli is doing good things so far, he's actually better at framing pitches than Martin was (one of his best assets). As far as Pedro, you're right, nobody knows. But him platooning with Hart isn't terrible, just decent. We also have the best outfield in the league IMO. And who knows what'll happen with Kang, he could be quite a surprise. He's already showed off his power and had a hell of a defensive game from third yesterday

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    Liriano, Cole, Burnett, Morton, and Worley/Locke is far from a major question mark. That's a pretty decent rotation. Cervelli is doing good things so far, he's actually better at framing pitches than Martin was (one of his best assets). As far as Pedro, you're right, nobody knows. But him platooning with Hart isn't terrible, just decent. We also have the best outfield in the league IMO. And who knows what'll happen with Kang, he could be quite a surprise. He's already showed off his power and had a hell of a defensive game from third yesterday
    Burnett and Morton do not give me much confidence. Liriano and Cole will be solid, and I think whoever gets the #5 gig will be OK. That 3 and 4 hole though...

Sorry, I just am not sold on Cervelli at all. Think he's a big downgrade from Martin, and I still believe the Pirates should have given Martin the extra year.

I have no problem platooning Hart and Pedro, but they need some semblance of the 2013 Pedro, and none of the 2014 Pedro at the plate. He is the biggest X-factor going into this season, more so than Kang (who has been impressive so far, but I still question whether he can do it consistently at the ML level).

Burnett and Morton do not give me much confidence. Liriano and Cole will be solid, and I think whoever gets the #5 gig will be OK. That 3 and 4 hole though...

Sorry, I just am not sold on Cervelli at all. Think he's a big downgrade from Martin, and I still believe the Pirates should have given Martin the extra year.

I have no problem platooning Hart and Pedro, but they need some semblance of the 2013 Pedro, and none of the 2014 Pedro at the plate. He is the biggest X-factor going into this season, more so than Kang (who has been impressive so far, but I still question whether he can do it consistently at the ML level).
    not worried much about Morton, I think AJ will be the weak link. I'm hoping he can string together one more good year. He played hurt all last season and it showed. Also, don't be surprised if you see Taillon this summer as part of the rotation.

Cervelli will suprise a lot of people, if he can stay healthy. I like him a lot actually, and think the Buccos would have been insane to pay Martin what he wanted.

pedro is a big concern of mine. We know he has the talent, but he's kind of a basket case, so we will just have to wait and see

The Pirates' pitchers are on record saying they trust in Cervelli. I think he will be just fine.

http://m.pirates.mlb.com/news/articl...rates-pitchers

Pedro is a question mark for all of us.

Buccos being televised on ROOT tomorrow afternoon @ 1:00 PM against the Astros. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

The Altoona Curve's Steamer got a boo-boo today when he fell down the stairs on his way to see his new 4-wheeler. He was heavily favoring his left arm and appeared to be in serious pain.

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery for Steamer. Get well soon!

Buster Olney of BSPN is picking the Pirates to win the World Series. Good Lord, is this team being over-hyped. I know I should be happy, but I'm sorry, I'm still a major skeptic. I'm not 100% sure if they're even the best team in the division.

Yeah, I know, I'm too negative. But I can't help it. Besides, I am negative by nature. Expect the worst in everything and everyone.

I truly believe they have a legitimate shot at it. I think the cards have the edge as of now, a lot depends on polanco and Pedro. Lirianos slider seems to be back after a hiatus last year, that will make him dangerous. Cole will have another great year and the rest of the rotation with Cumpton, aj, and Worley should be good enough (Locke is not looking so good). I know I keep saying this but cervelli will suprise a lot of people. And Kang.......who knows

i bet the division will be decided by one or two games.

Our Buccos are on ROOT today at 1:00 PM vs. Boston.

LET'S GO BUCS!

Liriano is looking very good. The Pedro/Hart platoon is also working great. Cervelli seems to be gelling it's the pitchers and has the bat to back himself up. I think the only question mark left is Polanco.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    I truly believe they have a legitimate shot at it. I think the cards have the edge as of now, a lot depends on polanco and Pedro. Lirianos slider seems to be back after a hiatus last year, that will make him dangerous. Cole will have another great year and the rest of the rotation with Cumpton, aj, and Worley should be good enough (Locke is not looking so good). I know I keep saying this but cervelli will suprise a lot of people. And Kang.......who knows

i bet the division will be decided by one or two games.
    Cumpton had Tommy John surgery, so he's not in the mix. Basically the 5th spot comes down to Worley and Locke, and right now, Worley has the inside track. Loser goes to the bullpen.

Cumpton had Tommy John surgery, so he's not in the mix. Basically the 5th spot comes down to Worley and Locke, and right now, Worley has the inside track. Loser goes to the bullpen.
    i must have been drinking when I wrote that, lol. I meant Morton. And yes, I think Worley gets the fifth spot

Well, Morton got shelled again today, which means now they have a major problem on their hands. This rotation is very top-heavy already, and now they don't have a reliable #3 starter. I'm not going to get into the couldas, shouldas, and wouldas. They NEED Morton to come around in order to take pressure off of Cole and Liriano and give them a top-3 that teams will respect. At this stage of his career, Burnett is not and cannot be that guy. He's a #4, and that's it.

Senior Member Array title="Boh will become famous soon enough"> Boh's Avatar

Beat me to the thread this year! Going to Camden April 12th!
    https://i.imgur.com/GCEAsxD.png

Quote Originally Posted by Boh View Post
    Beat me to the thread this year! Going to Camden April 12th!

Lol, as cool as you are Boh, having a guy from Baltimore start this thread just seems wrong, so I got on it early

It looks like I'm not the only one who takes these exhibition games so seriously.

Pirates Notebook: Steelers coach Tomlin keeps up with Hurdle, team

Tempers flare in game

What started as Sean Rodriguez’s frustration with not being granted time at the plate morphed into a benches-clearing incident Monday between the Pirates and the Philadelphia Phillies.

Rodriguez was apparently upset that Phillies pitcher Kevin Slowey might have tried to quick-pitch him in the bottom of the fourth, and that home-plate umpire Chad Fairchild did not grant Rodriguez time when he called for it. Rodriguez shouted at Slowey after striking out, then again when they crossed paths after the next half-inning. Francisco Cervelli eventually had to restrain Rodriguez, and though the benches and bullpens emptied, there was no pushing, and no one threw any punches.

“If you feel like you’re quick-pitched, and the umps don’t have to give you time … again, it’s over,” Hurdle said.

Pirates first-base coach Rick Sofield and Phillies first-base coach Juan Samuel got into it and were ejected. Phillies bench coach Larry Bowa shouted back and forth with a fan near the Phillies’ dugout. Hurdle was later ejected for arguing balls and strikes.

Rodriguez and Sofield declined to comment.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p...s/201503300130

Getting down to the wire, guys are trying to make the team still, it's pretty high stakes for these guys. On another note, Pedro seems to be back to his old form, very good sign. Also, Cervelli is fitting in nicely, with his batting and his defense...if he stays healthy, I think he will work out great.

on the bad side, after a few weeks of games, I'm starting to side with X-Terminator. Our rotation worries me. Really need Cole to step up and be the guy everyone thinks he can be. And Morton, he is not looking good out there, so we may have to rely on AJ as the #3. As much as I want AJ to bounce back from last year, I have my concerns. Worley and Locke are average. So unless morton gets his shit together, and Liriano, AJ, and Cole have great years, we will struggle down the stretch with this crew.

taillon may make his debut this year, but I don't think he will be a game changer as of yet.

Unless something is done, starting pitching is what will ultimately keep this team from winning the division. I don't think they'll have too much trouble offensively, though. Their lineup is looking pretty solid.

Unless something is done, starting pitching is what will ultimately keep this team from winning the division. I don't think they'll have too much trouble offensively, though. Their lineup is looking pretty solid.

Polanco and Pedro both look very good, if they can contribute consistently, we may be able to get by with the pitchers we have.

Our Buccos on ROOT tonight @ 7:05 PM vs. Phillies.