Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Regular season thread

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: 2015 Regular season thread

Opening Day roster is set.

Starting Lineup:

1. Harrison 3B
    2. Polanco RF
    3. McCutchen CF
    4. Walker 2B
    5. Marte LF
    6. Alvarez 1B
    7. Cervelli C
    8. Mercer SS

That lineup, if they stay healthy and are on their games, is as good as anyone in the NL, maybe in the majors. Like I said before, offense should not be an issue with this team.

Bench:

Hart 1B/OF
    Lambo OF/1B
    Kang IF
    Rodriguez IF
    Sanchez C

Meh. Would be much better if they hadn't traded Snider. Neither Lambo nor Kang have shown any ability to hit ML pitching consistently. It's better than running guys like Morel and Martinez out there, but still, not good enough.

Starting Pitchers:

1. Liriano
    2. Cole
    3. Burnett
    4. Locke
    5. Worley

This is their biggest Achilles' heel. It's an OK rotation, but unfortunately, "OK" won't be good enough if they want to take the Cardinals down and win the division.

Bullpen:

Caminero
    Liz
    Bastardo
    Watson
    Hughes
    Scahill
    Melancon (closer)

Looks pretty darn solid. A LOT of big arms. Liz and Caminero can both touch triple-digits on the fastball. Watson and Scahill can both reach the mid-90s.

Morton and Stewart will begin the season on the DL.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

No surprises in the starting lineup. It'll be interesting to see Walker as cleanup for a while. The cleanup batter destroyed us last year leaving a ridiculous amount of men on base.

I think Hart is just as good as Snyder, so I don't see losing Snyder as a huge deal.

Starting pitchers...I agree, good, not great. Little worried about it actually.

love the bullpen. Caminero has a rocket arm, I like him.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm liking the starting lineup. I'm not blown away by the starting pitching, but I'll hold off judgement for now.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I'm so Buc'n excited I can barely stand it! LETS GO BUCS!!!

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Finally!!!!!!!!

the day is here

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Games like today are why I love baseball. Sucks that the Pirates lost, but it was a good game to watch. Both teams showed a lot of mettle. Can't ask for more than that on Opening Day.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Games like today are why I love baseball. Sucks that the Pirates lost, but it was a good game to watch. Both teams showed a lot of mettle. Can't ask for more than that on Opening Day.

Absolutely agree! I'm not even mad we lost. Liriano looked very good. Cueto pitched a hell of a game, we couldn't get anything off of him. Cutch came through when he needed to. And an all star had a rough outing on the mound, those things happen. I knew it was over when chapman hit the mound, that dude is deadly

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

It really was a good game, but I was still a sad Pirate because they lost. Cueto needed to go sit down. Man, I wouldn't mind the Buccos getting their hands on him, that's for sure.

That is a great deal for the Pirates. Hopefully Harrison doesn't turn out to be a one-year wonder. Not many will work harder than him, that's for sure.

Good for JayHay, he's earned it, glad to see they got it done.

Swept by the Reds. Oh well, season's over.

Just kidding! Ask the Brewers if they'd rather have been hot in September last season, rather than hot in April.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

What a terrible week for a Pittsburgh sports fan. Penguins in complete free fall. LeVeon Bell suspended for the first 3 games of the upcoming season. And the Pirates stumbling out of the block like this. Yes I know it's a long season. But losing 3 straight one run games could easily start a season long trend. Teams that do well in 1 run games usually stay in the playoff hunt throughout the season. Teams that can't get out of their own way in one run games fall out of it early.

Confidence is a funny thing. Get tight early because you can't catch a break and the losing perpetuates itself.

They need a good series this weekend.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

I'm not worried about the Bucs whatsoever. They have 159 more games, and Cutch is the leader and face of the franchise, not some crybaby pussy. Just sayin'.

Yeehaaw! Bucs win their first game of the season! 6-2 against the Booers! Raise it!

Hopefully Cutch's knee is nothing serious, you could tell he was uncomfortable out there even before he benched himself

Cutch is one of the guys on this team that they can't afford to lose for any length of time. I don't want Corey Hart having to play RF full-time with bad knees. Needless to say, the other 2 they absolutely can't afford to lose at all are Liriano and Cole. If either of them goes down, the Pirates are screwed. They don't have a Volquez this season to pick up the slack.

Cutch back in the lineup today, the Bucs smack down the Brewers 10-2 to take the series. Just wish they could have won one of those games in Cincinnati.

3 Ks for Polanco today (sandwiched around 2 hits and an RBI) and Marte gets the Golden Sombrero (4 K). Both have been striking out a TON to start the season. I expect them to turn it around soon, though. 6 games is hardly a trend.

Onward to the home opener tomorrow. I actually wish I was going now, since I won't have to work until 4 PM. I'm thinking about softening my stance toward Nutting and attend a few games this season. I still hate that carpetbagging, lying asshole though and REALLY don't want to give him any of my money. But at the same time, I really would like to watch this team in person.

I think you should go to the home opener and have fun, XT. I would be there if I didn't have to work, but weather permitting, I will be going to a game very soon.

LET'S GO BUCS!

Pirates win their home opener, but damn if Melancon didn't almost give it away. The Pirates were up 5-1 in the 9th, and he gives up 2 doubles and a HR to make it 5-4. I know it's early, and it's only one game, but I'm already thinking about them turning the closer duties over to Caminero. The dude's a right-handed version of Aroldis Chapman and is built to be a closer. Make Melancon the 8th inning guy, splitting duties with Watson.

If like to see Caminero a little more before I form an opinion on closer duties. He's struggled with control in the past, so I want to see him consistently pitching strikes first

Disappointing loss tonight. Only three hits. Gotta get those bats crackin'.

Great game tonight! Let's hope they keep it up tomorrow night as I'll be at PNC Park cheering them on. I. Can't. Wait!!!

They are really struggling offensively, something I didn't anticipate at the start of the season. But it is only April, so I fully expect the bats to heat up right along with the weather. At least the pitching, aside from a couple of bad outings, has been stellar.

I'm with you XT, before the season I figured it would be the opposite, pitching struggles with a ton of offense. Instead it's been great pitching and zero offense. Last night they started hitting, it was nice to see finally. But like you said, it's only april, they have plenty of time to get thier shit together

Had a great time at the game last night. Locke's performance was exceptional, we par-tayed when Mar-te blasted a 3 run homer, and it was sweet justice when Caminero got some revenge for Cutch. The Pens won, as well. I must be their lucky charm.

All aboard the Cole Train! Let's hope we can get that first sweep this afternoon.

Yeah, baby!

They are finally looking good offensivly, nice to see all three facets coming together