Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Mike Wallace Interested In Returning To Steelers

Dwinsgames

Re: Report: Mike Wallace Interested In Returning To Steelers

did he learn to jump ? ...............

ok then no .........

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

It's not that he can't jump, he just can't be bothered to jump.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I don't care about his ability. His attitude sucks and when we're trying to develop young guys he is the last influence we need.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    He's already got guaranteed money coming. He could sign a 1 year cheap deal, light it up with Ben, and then cash in.

If Haley would wake up, realize that #46, #89, and #82 are worthless? And use Brown, Bryant, and Wallace in a 3 wide base set?

They'd win 12 games.
    Are you going to infuse every thread with your "Haley Hate"? Getting a little old. There have been several "Fire Haley" threads in the past. Why don't you resurrect one of those, or start you own. .........and by the way, Spaeth is a very good blocking TE, which is what he's used for......I think even BA used him in that capacity.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

So not happening that it isn't even worth the keystrokes to say it.

Banned Array title="Crash is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Are you going to infuse every thread with your "Haley Hate"? Getting a little old. There have been several "Fire Haley" threads in the past. Why don't you resurrect one of those, or start you own. .........and by the way, Spaeth is a very good blocking TE, which is what he's used for......I think even BA used him in that capacity.
    Spaeth can't block me. But here's the facts, and not fiction, Spaeth, Johnson, and Palmer also spend plenty of time running pass patterns. The notion that they are used to max protect? Is a myth. They are actually running pass patterns. So we aren't max protecting, AND we have no speed on the field.

Ben had 163 pass attempts with 2+ TE's on the field.

To compare?

Rodgers (The 2014 league MVP): 40

Kurt Warner 2008 (With the same OC we have now): 60

The difference? Is that Haley in 2008 was running Whiz's offense, and in Pittsburgh he's running his own.

Haley knows what to do. He did it in the first half of the Lions game in 2013, and for the first 25 minutes of the Browns game in week 1 this year: Three wide base, little substitutions, get out of their way and reap the rewards of winning.

But by doing that? That renders Haley pretty much useless on the sidelines. And he won't have it. Which is why I'm not entirely convinced that Ben WANTS to keep playing here under this ownership induced arrangement.

Ben had been all about winning for the first 8 years of his career, only to see Art Rooney II blame him for the 2011 season ending the way it did, and then having the audacity to fire Arians not face to face like a man, but to have Mike Tomlin do it over the phone only AFTER Arians left for his off season home. Don't think for a minute that Ben has forgotten that.

I also believe part of him feels he can't win a title in this offense. Put up irrelevant numbers in losses? Sure. But winning a Super Bowl? Not the way Haley currently runs the show.

Fans want Ben to take a hometown discount? Well why should he? HTD's aren't given, they are EARNED by the organization through mutual compromise with the player.

And let's be honest here, the way Art II has treated Ben since Tim Tebow humiliated Dick LeBeau? If Ben were to give a HTD Art II should be on his knees kissing Ben's feet in appreciation, because Art II certainly hasn't earned one at this point.
    Last edited by Crash; 02-28-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Haley knows what to do. He did it in the first half of the Lions game in 2013, and for the first 25 minutes of the Browns game in week 1 this year:

Three wide base, little substitutions, get out of their way and reap the rewards of winning.

But by doing that? That renders Haley pretty much useless on the sidelines. And he won't have it. Which is why I'm not entirely convinced that Ben WANTS to keep playing here under this ownership induced arrangement.
    This is a GREAT point.

...and if that is Haley's motive for not using it more shame on him.

Fortunately they have the offseason to reflect on this past season and make adjustmentss and improvements in both personnel AND play calling...

At least that is what you would think...
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

His attitude disappointed me so badly, I never want to see him in black and gold again. He spit in the face of what Hines tried to teach him. Just go away. AB took Hines' lessons and lives them well beyond. He deserves to wear the colors and cash the paycheck.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

ZOMG! DON'T YOU GUYS REALIZE THAT ONLY JERRY RICE AND RANDY MOSS PUT UP BETTER NUMBERS IN THEIR FIRST 3 NFL SEASONS THAN WALLACE? WE GOTTA GET HIM BACK! - steeldawg (for about the 10 millionth time)

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

No f'ing way!!!
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    His attitude disappointed me so badly, I never want to see him in black and gold again. He spit in the face of what Hines tried to teach him. Just go away. AB took Hines' lessons and lives them well beyond. He deserves to wear the colors and cash the paycheck.
    Hines wasn't the great "teacher" people think he is. Hines was disruptive in the locker room as well.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Hines wasn't the great "teacher" people think he is. Hines was disruptive in the locker room as well.
    True, but there is no denying that Hines heart on field >>>> Mike's often lackadaisical demeanor.

Dwinsgames

Spaeth can't block me.

I stopped reading at this , when something is so fundamentally out of line no point reading past it

and it is well documented that I am not a Spaeth fan so not a case in me defending a player I really like

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Frankly, I'd consider bringing back Limas before bringing back Wallace, at least Limas won't cause any locker room problems

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I stopped reading at this , when something is so fundamentally out of line no point reading past it
    For every block he makes he'll whiff on two more. Will Johnson, as average as he is, actually blocks BETTER than Spaeth does.

Just watch him, and by that I mean watch the game more than once.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

and it is well documented that I am not a Spaeth fan so not a case in me defending a player I really like

Ditto.Thanks for saving me the keystrokes old friend.

- - - Updated - - -

For every block he makes he'll whiff on two more. Will Johnson, as average as he is, actually blocks BETTER than Spaeth does.

Just watch him, and by that I mean watch the game more than once.
    I do. And you talk out of your ass.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Id rather have gibson please! he would be ok with his role and seems to have is head in the right place

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Jacoby Jones…much more for your money.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quite honestly, I think you could write this story about any player that drafted and came up in the Steelers Org. and left for money to play for a loser. Seriously.
    Merry Christmas

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Lol.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Lol.
    A virtual cancer.

Lol.
    Laugh all you want. It's not a secret within the locker room that Hines was a "locker room lawyer" while he was there.

The difference was, he gave the media good quote, so they protected him.

Which was why no one knew of his divorce from his first wife because of his carousing, until it came out that he was pulled over in LA at 2 AM.

Laugh all you want. It's not a secret within the locker room that Hines was a "locker room lawyer" while he was there.

The difference was, he gave the media good quote, so they protected him.

Which was why no one knew of his divorce from his first wife because of his carousing, until it came out that he was pulled over in LA at 2 AM.
    Hines could be a bit of a diva at times. Everyone knows he and Ben aren't buddies. But he also set a good example with his work ethic, and selflessness between the lines. His off the field life doesn't concern me.

"If [first-round pick Santonio Holmes] wants to be helped and asks, I'm more than willing," Ward told the PG. "But for me to go out of the way to try to help somebody, I'm not going to do it."

-Hines Ward 2006

"Selflessness"

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I'm neutral on the idea of him returning, but the reality is that there's simply no way it can happen at his contract level, or anything close to it.

Where would he fit? Essentially he would have to accept the reality that he was going to be a luxury item, that Brown, Bryant, and Wheaton are our main three WRs - and that we would use him 4-wide, on certain routes, as a decoy because of his speed, and on specific plays, and on special teams.

Essentially he would be a slight upgrade over DHB, fill that kind of role, and have to rework his salary to a commensurate level. While I'm fine with him in that scenario - I can't see him agreeing to that.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    I'm neutral on the idea of him returning, but the reality is that there's simply no way it can happen at his contract level, or anything close to it.

Where would he fit? Essentially he would have to accept the reality that he was going to be a luxury item, that Brown, Bryant, and Wheaton are our main three WRs - and that we would use him 4-wide, on certain routes, as a decoy because of his speed, and on specific plays, and on special teams.

Essentially he would be a slight upgrade over DHB, fill that kind of role, and have to rework his salary to a commensurate level. While I'm fine with him in that scenario - I can't see him agreeing to that.
    To be fair, he would be a massive upgrade over DHB as a WR. Say what you want about Wallace's attitude, role in the locker room, salary demands, etc - he remains a lethal weapon as a deep threat. DHB is at best a blunt object. A really really handy one, but just a blunt object all the same.

All that being said, none of it matters because there is no way Wallace signs anywhere for less than 8 million per year.

"If [first-round pick Santonio Holmes] wants to be helped and asks, I'm more than willing," Ward told the PG. "But for me to go out of the way to try to help somebody, I'm not going to do it."

-Hines Ward 2006

"Selflessness"
    No. A third round pick who never got over being a third round pick knowing inferior players were drafted before him. A player who considered high round wr's as guys gunning for his job. Hines carried a huge chip around on his shoulder throughout his career that he used to help motivate himself to greater heights as a player. I think most of his teammates respected where he was coming from. .

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    To be fair, he would be a massive upgrade over DHB as a WR.
    Agreed but it would be a downgrade at special teams... and we likely need the special teams help more than the WR help. That, and Wallace is going to demand about 6 million more per season than we should pay for the sort of utility he'll be slated for. So I remain neutral on the idea of him (IMO locker room concerns are overblown at this point in his career) but I can't imagine it happening either; at the end of the day you're right, moot to even talk about.

I'm not sure whether DHB will be back, but if he's not I bet his replacement will be someone decent at Special Teams.

As far as Hines goes there were plenty of times where what he wanted clashed with the reality of the situation. And? He dealt with it and life went on; even his holdout I would consider a business move. At no point in his tenure would have I considered him a cancer, or anything close to that.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

During training camp in 2011 at St. Vincent\’s, Ward was often seen giving advice and help to young players as he always has throughout his career. Ward started camp on the PUP list as he was still recovering from offseason surgery to repair torn ligaments in his left thumb. Although he wasn\’t able to practice early in training camp, he was highly active on the field. He could be seen guiding young receivers like Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown daily. Many players have given Ward props for being more than the man with a million dollar smile because of the level of intensity, understanding of the game and willingness to support other players. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/03...h-but-will-he/
    All make believe.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

All make believe.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I don't think Mike Wallace would be happy being second fiddle to AB. It would not be worth it.