Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Munch Bulking Up Villanueva

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Munch Bulking Up Villanueva

Looks like Munch has add more weight and muscle to this guy, hope he makes the roster.

http://www.steelers.com/videos/video...1-fa1349110d95

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Munch Bulking Up Villanueva

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell -

Going through tape, I notice Villanueva said he weighs between 338 and 345. Massive man.

The 6-9 former Army Ranger gave me his thoughts on dealing with ISIS too. Story soon.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Tunch has been working with the O-line and he thinks Villanueva has really improved!

At about the 25:14 on the video. Video is from week one OTA's

steelers.com/videos/videos/LIV…e0-46ac-b4cb-61a0301572a6

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Tunch has been working with the O-line and he thinks Villanueva has really improved!

At about the 25:14 on the video. Video is from week one OTA's

steelers.com/videos/videos/LIV…e0-46ac-b4cb-61a0301572a6
    No doubt the Munchak effect. Would be a nice option for the left side. Might make it possible to move Beachum to LG and say good bye to Foster.

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Dudes, he has barely even played the game, much less played OT. He is the longest of all long shots.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Villanueva grows on, off the field

PITTSBURGH "” Alejandro Villanueva came to the Steelers late in training camp last August somewhat of a novelty. It's not every day a decorated war hero, an Army Ranger captain, a Bronze Star recipient and veteran of three tours of duty in Afghanistan, enters an NFL locker room. Not as a player, anyway.

Villanueva was a bit of a curiosity, too. At 6-foot-9 and 300-plus pounds, he's a behemoth. But, despite those impressive physical attributes, Villanueva also hadn't played football in five years since his college days at West Point and hadn't played on an offensive line in seven.

After a year of grooming on the practice squad, Villanueva is looking to show he's neither novelty, curiosity nor reclamation project but a legitimate NFL lineman who can crack a spot on the 53-man roster. So far, the Steelers liked what they have seen from the 26-year-old.

"He's grown in a major, major way," said left guard Ramon Foster, the Steelers' longest-tenured lineman. "He's a guy that has transformed his body, transformed his mind to where he can compete at this level."

Part of Villanueva's transformation, as Foster put it, has been to add bulk, a lot of it. Villanueva said Tuesday that he's weighing in around 338 pounds. Though he's 68 pounds heavier than he was this time a year ago, when he took part in Philadelphia Eagles training camp before being released, Villanueva looks remarkably lean and doesn't appear to be slower for it.

to read rest of article:

http://www.goerie.com/VB-Villanueva-...the-field-0609

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Would be great if he could carry an M-16 on the OL. Would be the first season with zero sacks.
    All Defense!

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Villanueva might be a long shot, but he is disciplined and will listen and only get better.

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Would be nice if he gets better and is a solid depth guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Would be nice if he gets better and is a solid depth guy.

Indeed, if he stays healthy I believe he'll make the roster.

A FIND? VILLANUEVA BIGGER, BETTER

Jun 10, 2015
    Jim Wexell
    Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

U.S. Army war hero Alejandro Villanueva making strides with Steelers as massive offensive tackle.

PITTSBURGH -- Alejandro Villanueva had two reporters follow him off the practice field Tuesday, but again used his familiar dodge of "Sorry, I have to go work out now" to turn down another interview request.

But this time he thought twice and stayed to answer every question.

Even a real one.

"What should we do about ISIS?"

The 26-year-old former Army Ranger, who was awarded a Bronze Star for heroism while under fire in Afghanistan, didn't flinch.

"I always look at what General (Stanley) McChrystal has to say," said Villanueva. "His point of view on all the wars and conflicts that we've been having have been pretty accurate. This is a very smart guy, very patient at the same time, and really brings the groups together to work, so with this ISIS situation it's going to take a very long time. That's essentially what he's saying. It's going to be very complex. We're going to have to set up goals that are going to be 10, 15, 20 years down the road for us to be able to resolve this.

"I was more of a guy on the ground," Villanueva added. "But if I had to look up to one of my commanding generals to see what their approach to global conflicts is, I think General McChrystal's been phenomenal."

If only Villanueva had the same confidence in his own progress this spring with the Pittsburgh Steelers. But, of course, it's only "practices with shorts on," as Villanueva put it. He knows these workouts "cannot dictate how I'm going to play in preseason."

But he certainly looks more confident on the field. And at 6-9 and a lean "338 to 345" pounds, Villanueva looks like an absolute beast of an offensive tackle.

Villanueva stepped into the first-team unit at left tackle late last week to replace Kelvin Beachum. This week Villanueva's back at second-team right tackle, a position at which he appears to be a natural. But it's a position he hadn't played since his junior year at Army until joining the Steelers' practice squad at the start of last season.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/st...-bigger-better

No question the pads will tell the tale, but this is very encouraging..... *Villanueva's only been at it for nine months, but there's optimism that the Steelers have made a grand discovery.*

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think I may have mentioned it before, but I don't recall so many positive articles coming out on prospects or rookies than I have seen this off season.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think I may have mentioned it before, but I don't recall so many positive articles coming out on prospects or rookies than I have seen this off season.
    You're right. But, it's the offseason and you know the Gameday threads will kill any "positivity" (Myself included)

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    You're right. But, it's the offseason and you know the Gameday threads will kill any "positivity" (Myself included)

Love that smiley.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Oh yeah...I'm in on that...lol.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Would be great if he could carry an M-16 on the OL. Would be the first season with zero sacks.
    dont worry. marcus gilbert will find a way to fall over and shoot one of our own players.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    dont worry. marcus gilbert will find a way to fall over and shoot one of our own players.

Villanueva sure has beefed up!

Craig Wolfley Gives Great Breakdown Of Steelers T Alejandro Villanueva:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/06...ro-villanueva/

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

OL vs DL. Villanueva with a GROWN MAN moment. Shoved Shayon Green back five yards. High five from Foster.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

OL vs DL. Villanueva with a GROWN MAN moment. Shoved Shayon Green back five yards. High five from Foster.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
    Not to rain on his parade, but Green has been really sucking from what I hear, prob among the first cuts if he lasts that long. But hopefully this is a sign of Villanueva starting to become an actual "OL".

Guts and hard work, looking forward to see how AV does Sunday.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I wonder if Villanueva has a good view

Tomlin is too short and wears his shades too low. He has to get on McCullers shoulders to see eye to eye w/Big Al.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Tomlin is talking like he might be coaching the next winner of the Super Bowl.
    All Defense!

I'm very happy for big Al. If he can stay healthy and finish out the year on 1st team, he'll be a monster next season.

He played WR. Tackle eligible at the goal line?

Check out post #5.