Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers should inquire about Jacoby Jones

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Pittsburgh Steelers should inquire about Jacoby Jones

The Pittsburgh Steelers would be crazy not to do a little homework on Jacoby Jones, who was released Wednesday by the Baltimore Ravens, if not bring him in for a visit.

Few teams are more acquainted with what Jones can do as a return man than the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Pittsburgh Steelers should inquire about Jacoby Jones

I would not be against it...

Member Array title="Pappy is on a distinguished road">

I like him too. He can take Lance Moore's spot as long as he doesn't cost us any more money. He's a great return man with a Mack for big plays in big games.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I'd be all for that. God knows how much he's killed us on special teams. He can be a decent #4 WR too.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Wouldn't mind finally getting a real return man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I wouldn't be against it either. Let's do it!

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Let's see if Tomlin can corral Jacoby Jones now

Jacoby Jones is two years removed from an MVP-caliber performance in Super Bowl XLVII. He is only months removed from returning a kickoff for a touchdown against the Steelers. He remains, at 30, one of the most dangerous return men in the NFL.

And now, after being released by the Baltimore Ravens in a salary cap move on Wednesday, he is a free agent. The Steelers spent Wednesday clearing cap space so they could make some moves in free agency, or to retain some of their own impending free agents. If Jones is willing to play for near the veteran minimum the Steelers should sign him to replace Darrius Heyward Bey as the fifth receiver.

The Steelers have brought some of their older players back for near the veteran’s minimum in recent years. Why not snag an old nemesis from their rivals?

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...coby-Jones-now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If they got him for the minimum, then great. If they paid "market rate" for a guy like that with all the problems we have on the other side of the ball, I will punch someone in the throat.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

If you pay him like a 4th or 5th receiver, than i have nothing against it. He also brings that special teams abillity we are lacking for quite some time (kick returner).

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    If you pay him like a 4th or 5th receiver, than i have nothing against it. He also brings that special teams abillity we are lacking for quite some time (kick returner).
    And punt return so AB doesn't have to do it.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

For what? To watch him break one for a TD only to have it nullified by a block in the back clear over on the opposite side of the field and we wind up starting inside our own 10-yard line anyway?

Only if we upgrade at ST coach the way we did at OL coach. Otherwise, there's really not much of a point, to my mind.

Banned Array title="Crash is an unknown quantity at this point">

Exactly. Danny Smith sucks. But, he's from Pittsburgh so he got a job.

Bobby April could have been hired numerous times, and wasn't.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Danny Smith being on the coaching staff over LeBeau is a joke. If LeBeau goes, Smith should've done long before...

It's why you can't take Tomlin seriously anymore.

If Wexell is right who forced LeBeau out? Was it Art II again?

Probably Todd Haley.

I would hope Haley doesn't have that much pull. Then again, he sets rules for TOMLIN, so maybe he does.

Definitely Todd Haley...anything and everything wrong with the team comes down to Todd Haley.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Definitely Todd Haley...anything and everything wrong with the team comes down to Todd Haley.
    ......well and Art II.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

While I am no fan of the Steelers special teams, some of it does come down to the players.

The guys the Steelers play on teams are typically very young, very inexperienced, and make mistakes that reflect that.

To get onto an NFL roster, a player is typically one of the 2-5 best players on his college roster. When is the last time many of these guys even played on special teams? Pee Wee?

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

If the Steelers signed Jacoby, he would bring depth to the receivers and would be a better option for special teams. Make him do kick and punt returns.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    While I am no fan of the Steelers special teams, some of it does come down to the players.

The guys the Steelers play on teams are typically very young, very inexperienced, and make mistakes that reflect that.

To get onto an NFL roster, a player is typically one of the 2-5 best players on his college roster. When is the last time many of these guys even played on special teams? Pee Wee?
    True, but my beef is that it's pretty much always the same dumb penalty (blocking in the back) and is usually nowhere near the lane our returner takes, and the situation never seems to improve.

We all saw a drastic reduction in the number of penalties the team was getting called for as a whole once Tomlin started having refs attend practices, so why the same dumb mistakes on STs? Not to mention how frustrating it is to watch us make a good return only to wind up starting the ensuing drive inside our own 10-yard line when it's invariably brought back on a penalty.

I also see a glaring lack of situational awareness on returns in general - guys just don't seem to know when to catch the ball, when to just let it bounce, when to kneel for a touchback and when to try and break one. And it was pretty much at the same level at the end of the season as the beginning. They do practice STs, I presume(?)

I've seen more than one person quip on more than one occasion how we make every punter we face look like Ray Guy - well, this general lack of situational awareness is a big part of the reason why. You don't field a punt for a fair catch inside the 10-yard line - you let it bounce and hope momentum carries it into the end zone for a touchback.

Member Array title="Pappy is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I'd be all for that. God knows how much he's killed us on special teams. He can be a decent #4 WR too.
    I agree, but only at the right price.

Jones is evidentially signing with the Chargers.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Going against him once this year is still better than going against him twice this year

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    And punt return so AB doesn't have to do it.
    x2. I always cringe that thought of AB getting a serious injury every time I see him back there returning a kick.

I think.... is REALLY worth it all having him back there ?
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

How often though do serious injuries occur on kickoff returns or punt returns?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

According to the league, it's an epidemic.