Thread: Steelers Spotlight: It could be time to get younger at tight end

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers Spotlight: It could be time to get younger at tight end

The Steelers have not had to worry much about the tight end position for the past decade. They selected Heath Miller in the first round of the 2005 draft and he has been a stalwart, starting 152 of a possible 160 games in that time and never missing more than two games in a season.

But as Miller nears the end of his stellar career and his backups hit free agency, the Steelers could address how they will move forward at the position in the short and long term this offseason...........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201502150186

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Re: Steelers Spotlight: It could be time to get younger at tight end

Heath is going to be with us forever. He is immortal. And I refuse to believe otherwise.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I think we have needed another top shelf tight end for a few years now.

May be the last piece for the offense.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

All the Steelers need to do is re-sign Spaeth cheaply. They do not need to get another tight end and should not get one for a few reasons other than the fact that Heath is still the no. 1 option

1. People think that because the Patriots used the 2 TE set from 2010-2012 that the no. 2 TE is increasingly being used. The fact is that few teams use their no. 2 tight end more extensively than the Steelers use Spaeth. The Patriots haven't even used their no. 2 TE much since Aaron Hernandez got arrested. The no. 2 TE holds little value and is nothing more than a luxury item that teams really don't need

2. They have the most productive wide receiver in the league over the past 2 years in AB, they have a RB in Bell that caught 83 passes last year, and they have a rising prospect in Martavis Bryant who is working hard to try and reach his potential. Also, Markus Wheaton is an able no. 3 wideout. If Heath goes down to injury or gets worn down and starts to decline like Peyton Manning last year, they have the weapons to compensate. This means the Steelers can afford to wait until Miller retires to draft his replacement

3. I could see going after another tight end as a luxury if the defense was still in top shape, but it isn't. The fact is the Steelers have a lot more pressing needs at DB and OLB, plus adding a backup RB. Drafting a TE before those aforementioned needs or spending a significant amount of money on one in free agency would be stupid

And for those that will reply by saying "But an athletic Gronk-type of tight end could really help the offense take the next step", the offense was ranked no. 2 in total and passing offense, Big Ben tied Drew Brees to lead the league in pass offense, they do not need to add weapons to improve the pass offense

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Put Heath Miller on the Patriots and I'd be willing to bet his production is damn near what Gronks is. Maybe not as high, but he'd be considered an elite TE in this league...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Member Array title="Pappy is on a distinguished road">

My heart tells me Heath will be productive for a few more years but my eyes tell me he is on his last leg. Time to draft his replacement now. Love the kid from Minnesota.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'm not to impressed with the TE class in this draft….at least one that will replace Miller. I'd go with Miller, Spaeth/Blanchflower and hope for a better class next draft.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'm not to impressed with the TE class in this draft….at least one that will replace Miller. I'd go with Miller, Spaeth/Blanchflower and hope for a better class next draft.
    Maxx Williams and Clive Walford are well worth our 1st and 2nd round picks respectively.

If its not going to be one of those two, i agree with your assessment. Although if some tight ends fall really far i have no problem with us taking a flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.