Thread: Kaboly: Colbert ‘not really interested’ in NFL Veteran Combine

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Kaboly: Colbert ‘not really interested’ in NFL Veteran Combine

NFL personnel people rarely pass up a chance to evaluate talent.

General managers and scouts flock to events like the East-West Shrine game, the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine to get an up-close look at players that can potentially help their team.

Now there’s another – the NFL Veterans Combine is set for March 22 in Phoenix. It will be open to veteran free agents who will participate in position-specific drills, timing and testing, and other customary combine activities.

The invitation only event will bring 100 players from all ages and experiences. The only requirement other than an invitation is that the player was with an NFL team at one point.

And it’s something that doesn’t excite Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert even the slightest.

“I’m not really interested in it to be honest,” Colbert said. “Personally what they do once they get into the league on film, we already know big and fast they are. To me they’re not going to get any faster. I think you’re naive to think that a player that ran a 4.4 three years later is still going to run a 4.4. You better base it on what he did in the league.”

Colbert said that the NFL Combine evaluating college players, which is set to start Wednesday in Indianapolis, is much more valuable because you are dealing with potential.

With veterans, Colbert said he is much more interested in what they’ve done on the field rather than their workout numbers.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...#axzz3RbHRnIBO

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Kaboly: Colbert ‘not really interested’ in NFL Veteran Combine

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    NFL personnel people rarely pass up a chance to evaluate talent.

General managers and scouts flock to events like the East-West Shrine game, the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine to get an up-close look at players that can potentially help their team.

Now there’s another – the NFL Veterans Combine is set for March 22 in Phoenix. It will be open to veteran free agents who will participate in position-specific drills, timing and testing, and other customary combine activities.

The invitation only event will bring 100 players from all ages and experiences. The only requirement other than an invitation is that the player was with an NFL team at one point.

And it’s something that doesn’t excite Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert even the slightest.

“I’m not really interested in it to be honest,” Colbert said. “Personally what they do once they get into the league on film, we already know big and fast they are. To me they’re not going to get any faster. I think you’re naive to think that a player that ran a 4.4 three years later is still going to run a 4.4. You better base it on what he did in the league.”

Colbert said that the NFL Combine evaluating college players, which is set to start Wednesday in Indianapolis, is much more valuable because you are dealing with potential.

With veterans, Colbert said he is much more interested in what they’ve done on the field rather than their workout numbers.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...#axzz3RbHRnIBO
    More interested in what they did on the field? So what did he see in Jonathan Scott and Mahan?
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Why take the opportunity to evaluate talent? That's just silly when you already "know it all".

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i think he is getting way to comfy at his position

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Oh, no! They will miss seeing the Gay Flash! The veteran combine is a dumb idea.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is fairly consistent with his approach to college players as well.

Colbert usually likes guys with tape of consistent production at a big-time program over combine workout warriors.

Dwinsgames

I think it has value ... remember the requirements must be invited and have been in the league at some point ...

Lots of guys sit behind all pro players and never get on the field so where is that tape he speaks of coming from ?

they become Free agents where else you going to see these kids other than to bring each one in house and get a look ....

also is great for guys coming off injury to show all the teams in attendance they have recovered ...

anyone not looking in ever single place to upgrade their roster is men not doing their job to the fullest but we already knew that about Colbert so no big surprise ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What would a team see at a veteran combine they don't already know?

Most guys are likely a tick slower in their 40 times and a lot stronger than when they came out of college.

A couple of folks either added or lost weight.

Take a guy like Heyward-Bey (I realize he won't be attending, but wanted a familiar example). What would putting him through combine drills reveal that isn't already well known?
    He is a large, fast, somewhat physical WR with suspect hands.

To suspect that in this day in age, NFL teams don't have a databse of the physical "Specs" on every dude in the league is kinda unreasonable. Hell you can get most of the information on publicly searchable databases. I honestly don't see what the combine for veterans is other than a chance for the league to create more "content" that can be reviewed, discussed, analysed, etc across multiple "media platforms" or whatever nonsense the 22 year old marketing intern that came up with it used to justify it in some wonky powerpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Most guys are likely a tick slower in their 40 times and a lot stronger than when they came out of college.

Take a guy like Heyward-Bey (I realize he won't be attending, but wanted a familiar example). What would putting him through combine drills reveal that isn't already well known?

To suspect that in this day in age, NFL teams don't have a databse of the physical "Specs" on every dude in the league is kinda unreasonable. Hell you can get most of the information on publicly searchable databases. I honestly don't see what the combine for veterans is other than a chance for the league to create more "content" that can be reviewed, discussed, analysed, etc across multiple "media platforms" or whatever nonsense the 22 year old marketing intern that came up with it used to justify it in some wonky powerpoint.
    Heyward-Bey is a good example. Let's say he was out a year or two, then returns. Do you know if he's lost a step? Did he put in time working on his hands? Has he decided to learn how to run crisp routes? Maybe it goes the other way, and he's sloppier in his routes than before, or he's lost more speed than one thinks he might have, or his hands have become even worse. I think it's worth it, but only if you're going with a couple names that you're already wanting to sign, and this becomes the way you can measure them without taking up a roster spot in the offseason practices/first week or so of camp.

Dwinsgames

see I am looking at it from the other end of the spectrum not guys who where high round selections and have washed out of a city or three but guys who where drafted later on and never saw the field due to a highly talented incumbent vet ahead of them on the depth chart , these guys get so few looks that there basically is no tape on them but the team that selected them seen enough to keep them around 3-4 years but other than that team nobody really knows anything about how they have progressed since coming out of college unless you count preseason reps vs guys flipping burgers 3 weeks later

But how are combine drills going to show any progression at actually being good at football?

Take a guy who was UDFA's 3 years ago and plays guard. Every team had his college tape and decided he wasn't draftable. He then latches on with a team and makes the PS in year 1. He gets bigger and stronger (that could be seen in a vet combine) and then makes the roster as a back-up in Years 2 and 3. The team then doesn't renew his initial 3 year deal. He is now a vet FA. He attends the combine thingy. What will a team be able to see that they don't already know from his college tape and his pre-season tape? Not like he is going to block actual pass rushers.

Don't most teams bring vet FA's they don't sign in for workouts all the time anyway?

Look I get that Colbert's comments very often come off as arrogant and smug. But I honestly feel that the vet combine is simply a way for the NFL to stage another TV ready event and get something out there during the off-season for people to talk about. Of course not sending a high ranking player personnel representative from the Steelers and not seriously looking at any noteworthy performances would be a bit silly, but I don't know if Colbert has to go.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

...I honestly feel that the vet combine is simply a way for the NFL to stage another TV ready event and get something out there during the off-season for people to talk about.
    Bingo. My only question is when are they going to start charging fans to attend training camp practices?

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    My only question is when are they going to start charging fans to attend training camp practices?
    I've been wondering this for quite some time, as well. I wouldn't doubt that it's coming sooner or later.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I don't see the point in this, to be honest.

You can bring in an unlimited amount of free agents for workouts and medical reviews. You put them through whatever drills you and your coaching staff think are pertinent to the position he plays/will be playing for your team if you sign him.

There is still game tape of guys that sat behind all-pro level players, because they get on the field at some point. Garbage time when you're blowing someone out/getting blown out or special teams. That'll show you if you can block, shed blocks, run routes, etc.

I don't see many GM's attending this to be honest. Maybe a guy who blew his knee out shows a bunch of scouts that his knee is fully healed, I just don't see the value in it unless you have defensive players going up against offensive players in drills.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What about a guy like Tim Hightower? Perfect for a player that was in his situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Dwinsgames

My Motto is this ...The rock you fail to find talent under is the stone you left unturned

Senior Member Array title="TMC has a spectacular aura about">

Well, just a few short seasons ago, there was a fullback from WVU that went undrafted. It was during the lockout season and even though a couple teams showed interest, once the lockout was lifted, they hit camp quickly and he ended up not signing with any NFL team. He worked out all winter and was fortunate enough to be allowed to attend the WVU Pro Day the next season, where he caught the eye of a head coach and GM. He was later signed. I am sure a guy like Will Johnson would have appreciated the opportunity to workout for NFL teams at a veteran combine, because if the HC at West Virginia had not had some compassion and allowed him to attend the Pro Day, he would have never caught the eye of Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin, and his 3-year career with the Steelers would have never happened.

Not stating teams will find the next big thing, but a guy that was cut at the end of camp last season could easily work out through the winter and catch the eye of a GM. That is what happened with Johnson. And, he attributes a ton of it to the year of working out, said he transformed his body, added speed and power, refined his craft. It happens. I would go to the veteran combine. You just never know who has put in the work.