Thread: Dapper Dan Awards: Toughness still hallmark of Jim Kelly

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Dapper Dan Awards: Toughness still hallmark of Jim Kelly

Ben Roethlisberger did not have to attend Tuesday night's 79th annual Dapper Dan Dinner & Sports Auction, but he decided to go anyway. He wanted to do something nice for a friend.

This Jim Kelly was not the one pictured on a poster on Roethlisberger's wall as a child growing up in Findlay, Ohio, the legend that embodied quarterbacking grit on the way to a record four consecutive Super Bowls with the Buffalo Bills. This Jim Kelly was thankful to be alive after a second bout with oral cancer in the past two years, smaller in physical stature but larger in life, and still a hero to Roethlisberger all these years later for entirely different reasons.

They met 10 years ago, as Roethlisberger was beginning his NFL career, and Kelly has gone from "Mr. Kelly" to simply "JK" as their relationship has developed. Roethlisberger insisted on introducing Kelly, the winner of the Dapper Dan 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/o...s/201502110158

- - - Updated - - -

Although this is a story about Jim Kelly, and deservedly so, I'm still very proud of Ben and how he has surrounded himself with good mentors and people of quality character. They stood by him, which says a lot about what is truly inside Ben's heart. It has taken a long time, but he has done an excellent job of rebuilding his reputation.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Re: Dapper Dan Awards: Toughness still hallmark of Jim Kelly

Ben does have a big heart and is doing good things. I'm proud of him, as well.

Banned Array title="Crash is an unknown quantity at this point">

Ben's always done good things in the community. He was never as bad as portrayed by the media who's ass he didn't kiss. Unlike other players who did, and because of that, their "accusations" went mostly unreported.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Ben's always done good things in the community. He was never as bad as portrayed by the media who's ass he didn't kiss.
    Bingo. I don't think Roethlisberger is anywhere near as "dumb" as he's portrayed to be either. As such, I think he often likes to troll the media just to see what kind of reaction he'll get. The whole "feud" drama right after Haley was hired was so blown out of proportion it was ridiculous. But I also think he purposely fed into the whole thing - he and Haley have probably had plenty of laughs together about it in private. I'd also imagine that he probably considers Ed Bouchette, who is not much more than a paid gossip in my opinion, to be a particularly easy mark.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Haley's face. Fire him!!!

Banned Array title="Crash is an unknown quantity at this point">

Of course he has to be a douche and photo bomb them.

The ONE regret besides passing on Marino? Was they didn't even TRY to get Kelly when he was begging the Steelers to save him from a life in Buffalo.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Haley's face. Fire him!!!
    It looks like someone photoshopped his head on someone else's body.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    It looks like someone photoshopped his head on someone else's body.
    I swear it wasn't me!

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    I swear it wasn't me!

Oh, you're so bad!

Member Array title="Pappy is on a distinguished road">

Jim Kelly is one tough SOB and one class act. Would have liked to have seen him win just one of those Superbowls. The man has been put through hell and has still not lost his faith. What a great example for our kids. God Bless him and his family. He deserves a little bit of good fortune now.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

If you can't root for Jim Kelly after all he has been through something is serious wrong with you. I'm glad that Ben has a great relationship with Jim and, shows what kind of person Ben is.