Thread: Steelers could learn from way Seattle built its defense

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Steelers could learn from way Seattle built its defense

PHOENIX — The Steelers could take lessons from the Seattle Seahawks on how to build a great defense.

They are two defensive ships passing in the night, the dominant defense of the first decade of this century that got old and slow as it tries to transition back to where it once performed versus the most dominant defense in the NFL the past two seasons.

But several opportunities for the Steelers to keep adding youngsters and swapping out old players to keep those great defenses viable already slipped past them while the Seahawks took advantage.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201501290215

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers could learn from way Seattle built its defense

Ugh. Never looked it up. Nice know we missed some solid corners. But those corners look a lot better playing with two all pro safeties back in them up
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I said it on another thread, half joking, but half serious and I'll say it again. The Steelers should draft two wr's for the Seahawks and the Seahawks in turn should draft two db's for the Steelers. As strong as they have been in procuring and developing db's the Steelers have been equally as good doing the same with wr's.

But of course maybe it's not the drafting, but maybe it's been the system and coaching all along? Maybe this will come across as a knock on coach LeBeau, but maybe it was time? Perhaps he de-emphasized the back end of the defense because his defense was so predicated to stopping the run first, pressuring the passer second, and letting the safeties clean up what's left 3rd?

I don't know? And yes ironically I realize he (LeBeau) in fact was a cb. But we haven't had an all pro or even Pro Bowl quality corner since Woodson tore up his knee in 95. That's a long time folks. How many teams in the league haven't had a Pro Bowl caliber corner since Bill Clinton's first term?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Interesting to see if Seattle's performance in the draft continues to be above average or not. Carroll left the college ranks in 2009. That means that the last of the prospects he would have been familiar with from recruiting would have graduated (hahha...funny...I know) in 2013 at the latest...maybe 2014 if you figure they scouted prospects a few years out. Looking at Seattle's drafts, the "legion of boom" or whatever was culled from the 2010 and 2011 drafts. The 2012 draft brought the completion of the linebacking corps and the addition of Irvin to the pass rush. To early to tell on the 2013 and 2014 drafts, but not a ton of names jump off that list.

Basically, I think that Seattle got a "bump" from Carroll's hire in the first 2-3 drafts of his tenure as they were able to get guys later in the draft, that Carroll "knew" more about than other teams and that would fit his scheme due to his recent college recruiting experience. The true test of Coach and GM will come in the next few years to see if they can continue the success without a bit of head start

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

So ... wind up with two top-15 picks in the same draft, then hit the jackpot on three Pro Bowl DBs in the 5th and 6th rounds in back-to-back years? Then have room to sign all four guys to big contracts because you also happened to draft your franchise QB in the third round at the same time? Sure, let's get right on that.

Look, I am not trying to knock the people who put together that team, because it worked out really well for them. But that is the kind of freakishly good fortune that comes around once every 15 or 20 years in the entire league. You are not going to duplicate it without a buttload of luck, and will probably do yourself more harm than good if you try. There is no "formula," unless you think "hit a bunch of draft picks at once" is some sort of groundbreaking new master plan. More like - well, duh, everybody's trying to that, but it just doesn't happen very often. Good for them, but fuck their fans.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

How many people knocked the Seahawks for drafting Bruce Irvin when they did? I'll give you a hint...all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    So ... wind up with two top-15 picks in the same draft, then hit the jackpot on three Pro Bowl DBs in the 5th and 6th rounds in back-to-back years? Then have room to sign all four guys to big contracts because you also happened to draft your franchise QB in the third round at the same time? Sure, let's get right on that.

Look, I am not trying to knock the people who put together that team, because it worked out really well for them. But that is the kind of freakishly good fortune that comes around once every 15 or 20 years in the entire league. You are not going to duplicate it without a buttload of luck, and will probably do yourself more harm than good if you try. There is no "formula," unless you think "hit a bunch of draft picks at once" is some sort of groundbreaking new master plan. More like - well, duh, everybody's trying to that, but it just doesn't happen very often. Good for them, but fuck their fans.
    Yup. The key for Seattle's success in "building" their team was the enormous flexibility that Russell Wilson's contact gives/gave them. They should start bleeding talent a bit this off-season as they will need to start re-upping guys that are on cheap rookie deals.

Interesting to see what happens.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    To be fair - no one had Sherman and Maxwell projected to be this unstoppable. Moffitt is out of football and Carpenter is hanging on as a guard not a tackle. Durham, Legree, and Levingston all stink.

It is kinda funny to see Trent Dilfer freak out about not drafting Andy Dalton because Hassleback will be so hard to sign in free agency!

But at the time, if Colbert and Co would have had this draft, folks around here might have burned down the Steelers offices!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I don't know what is sadder, Trent Dilfer's diatribe or the fact that the Steelers passed on Richard Sherman to draft Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I don't know what is sadder, Trent Dilfer's diatribe or the fact that the Steelers passed on Richard Sherman to draft Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen
    To be fair, everyone passed on Sherman to draft someone else who probably sucked. But point taken, our skill at evaluating cornerbacks has been sorely lacking.

Even though he's good, I don't know if I'd want someone like Sherman on the Steelers. Yeah, maybe the trash talk would be funny or something if it was on my own team, but there's only so much you can put up with before it becomes a nuisance. Dude comes off like an arrogant prick and a total asshole. Perfect fit for Seattle's fans; not who I'd want to listen to day in and day out.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Richard Sherman or a rapper?
    All Defense!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

But point taken, our skill at evaluating cornerbacks has been sorely lacking.
    That's putting it nicely.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

This. Get lucky and hit some home runs on late rounders...preferably all at about the same time so they're all cheap for a few years to boot. Thanks, Bullchitte. Insightful as always.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Once again, Ed Bouchette has nothing useful to add.

Did we skip Sherman? Yup. Do I wish we hadn't? Nope.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland