Thread: Art Rooney II: Improving Steelers' pass rush is priority

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Art Rooney II: Improving Steelers' pass rush is priority

The Pittsburgh Steelers' main focus on defense this offseason is improving their pass rush.

After coach Mike Tomlin and new defensive coordinator Keith Butler each addressed the issue this offseason, team president Art Rooney II underscored the point this week.

"We need to be able to pressure the quarterback more consistently," Rooney said, per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "I think that as a defense, we've got to get more sacks and put more pressure on the quarterback. That's a key piece of the puzzle we have to look at as we build this defense going into next year."

The Steelers' pass rush has fallen off precipitously the past two seasons, which allowed quarterbacks to pick apart a banged-up and aging secondary. Pittsburgh's 33 sacks were the team's fewest in more than a quarter century and put them 26th in the NFL, a year after being tied for 25th with just 34 sacks.

According to the Tribune-Review, Steelers coaches tracked just 103 quarterback hurries/pressures in 2014, down 32 percent from 151 the previous season.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ce=twitterfeed

Dwinsgames

Re: Art Rooney II: Improving Steelers' pass rush is priority

but but but we don't need linebackers ( sarcasm now resetting to off )

we need help at OLB and entire secondary in which order is anyone's guess but would hope to see multiple selections in both areas ....( first 4 rounds double up 2 each ) can mix it up in secondary with CB and S if they want but 2 back end players are a must and preferably guys who have proven ball skills

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

If we address the pass rush the same way we addressed getting the running game effective again, paint me excited.

Still, let's not forget that the secondary needs fixin.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Dear Art: Get a nose tackle or modify the defensive scheme. Otherwise you can throw all the overhyped pass-rushing OLBs you want out there and they still won't do shit. Also don't forget the secondary sucks.

Seriously, if they draft another linebacker #1, I will be super pissed.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Dear Art: Get a nose tackle or modify the defensive scheme. Otherwise you can throw all the overhyped pass-rushing OLBs you want out there and they still won't do shit. Also don't forget the secondary sucks.

here is my problem with this post ...

1) how do we know the NT you want so badly is not already on the roster in the form of Big Dan ?

2) Without OLB and pass pressure potential even if Big Dan ( or draft pick ) is the answer at NT you still have no pressure

3) without pressure it wont matter who you trot out at CB we won't be very good because even the best CBs in the league have problems covering after 3.5 - 4.0 seconds

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

What will piss me off worse, is if they pass on a better player to reach on a CB, or D-lineman. Still think this may be a good year to trade down.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Well considering they only have three OLB under contract, and one of those is from the CFL, the other is from the PS, and the final one is Jarvis Jones, I should hope they draft or otherwise acquire several linebackers.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Well, I'm no draft nik, but everything I've read lately says this is not a draft that is very good at CB position and most of the highly rated OLBers play fast with no strength. We already have that in Jones. I'm guessing the draft willn't be much help this year as in past years. We can't afford any more draft misses, we literally need to hit a decent player in every round just to make the defense average.
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Art II, hands off.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Well, I'm no draft nik, but everything I've read lately says this is not a draft that is very good at CB position and most of the highly rated OLBers play fast with no strength. We already have that in Jones. I'm guessing the draft willn't be much help this year as in past years. We can't afford any more draft misses, we literally need to hit a decent player in every round just to make the defense average.
    I don't completely agree with this bud. I have said early that I like this years CBs much more than last years, and I still do. Yes they are thin at the top, so was last years, but I see several that will go late 2nd through the 4th round that can play, and could improve our secondary. Unless something strange happens that is where I would look for a CB, and probably a safety. I also see a couple DEs that could play OLB for us. Yes they are more speed than strength, but still have talent, particular in the pass rush. I would look for a kid that is willing to put in the work he needs to get better. A hard working player we draft likely will not be the same player we have in a year or so.

I think the 1st round is going to be a tough pick for us, either someone falls to us, or we reach a little for a player we like, or we trade out of the 24th spot. Still a lot of time to look at these kids.

AML

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Art II, hands off.
    Exactly. I've noticed a disturbing trend with Art II piping up about personnel and scheme (we need to run the ball better) matters when it should be the GM and coaches doing it.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I don't completely agree with this bud. I have said early that I like this years CBs much more than last years, and I still do. Yes they are thin at the top, so was last years, but I see several that will go late 2nd through the 4th round that can play, and could improve our secondary. Unless something strange happens that is where I would look for a CB, and probably a safety. I also see a couple DEs that could play OLB for us. Yes they are more speed than strength, but still have talent, particular in the pass rush. I would look for a kid that is willing to put in the work he needs to get better. A hard working player we draft likely will not be the same player we have in a year or so.

I think the 1st round is going to be a tough pick for us, either someone falls to us, or we reach a little for a player we like, or we trade out of the 24th spot. Still a lot of time to look at these kids.
    You kind of summed up my point. This draft is not likely to provide immediate help. This team needs a first round corner who can come in and start now. We also need to lock up moats and draft a olb that can come in on third down spell Jones or moats as a situation pass rush.
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Exactly. I've noticed a disturbing trend with Art II piping up about personnel and scheme (we need to run the ball better) matters when it should be the GM and coaches doing it.
    At least with running better and improving the pass rush - he is correct. I tend not to pay attention to the comments on contracts, etc - figure they are all just BS meant for agents anyway.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    At least with running better and improving the pass rush - he is correct. I tend not to pay attention to the comments on contracts, etc - figure they are all just BS meant for agents anyway.
    this

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I'm just used to the way his father and grandfather used to do things. Art II seems to do a lot more talking to the press.

I'm just used to the way his father and grandfather used to do things. Art II seems to do a lot more talking to the press.
    Fair enough. That may be unavoidable with the 24/7/365 need to feed the NFL media beast. That being said, Art II is going to be open to criticism until the team gets a Lombardi during his tenure/stewardship.

Who does the team go to after Art II?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Fair enough. That may be unavoidable with the 24/7/365 need to feed the NFL media beast. That being said, Art II is going to be open to criticism until the team gets a Lombardi during his tenure/stewardship.

Good question, he has a 26 year old son and three daughters.

from 2007…. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2...s/200711090148

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...ATCLID=1514426

Dwinsgames

lets face it we are not longer back in the day , its the digital age and everywhere a high profile person is there is 20 people more than willing to shove a mic in their face or pointing a camera , or video camera at them ...

I know many will say we do not hear of many other owners saying much , but is that really true ?

does anyone bother to follow them and those other teams half as close as you follow the Steelers ?

Steeler Nation as its now called is everywhere always someone asking a question or series of question so unless you want an owner that snubs the fanbase and its local media you are going to have this sort of thing part of the reason a lot of the fanbase is Fans of this team is how the Rooney family has historically been close to the city and today that also means media friendly ...

it is what it is , after all he does own the team , he should be able to run it as he see's fit without being condemned for it , it would be a totally different thing if he was an idiot and knew nothing about the game ( see Snyder ) he was raised in that building and probably knows more about the inner workings of a team than any /all of us combined

so may as well buckel up your chin straps and get used ot it because he is not going anywhere anytime soon

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Didn't Art II formally take over the reigns in 2002, even though Dan was still around? If that's the case, I'd say he's done ok.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    lets face it we are not longer back in the day , its the digital age and everywhere a high profile person is there is 20 people more than willing to shove a mic in their face or pointing a camera , or video camera at them ...

I know many will say we do not hear of many other owners saying much , but is that really true ?

does anyone bother to follow them and those other teams half as close as you follow the Steelers ?

Steeler Nation as its now called is everywhere always someone asking a question or series of question so unless you want an owner that snubs the fanbase and its local media you are going to have this sort of thing part of the reason a lot of the fanbase is Fans of this team is how the Rooney family has historically been close to the city and today that also means media friendly ...

it is what it is , after all he does own the team , he should be able to run it as he see's fit without being condemned for it
    , it would be a totally different thing if he was an idiot and knew nothing about the game ( see Snyder ) he was raised in that building and probably knows more about the inner workings of a team than any /all of us combined

so may as well buckel up your chin straps and get used ot it because he is not going anywhere anytime soon
    I have a problem with this statement. Owner of the team does not exempt him from criticism until he proves he is above the fray. IMHO Art II has not done that yet.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I have a problem with this statement. Owner of the team does not exempt him from criticism until he proves he is above the fray. IMHO Art II has not done that yet.

what would he have to do in order to be above the fray ?

he has been in control for 11 years now ... 3 SB appearances and 2 SB wins
    http://old.post-gazette.com/steelers...oney0722p1.asp

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post
    Didn't Art II formally take over the reigns in 2002, even though Dan was still around? If that's the case, I'd say he's done ok.
    Yeah. My mistake. I keep forgetting exactly when that transition happened!

Senior Member Array title="TMC has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I have said early that I like this years CBs much more than last years, and I still do. Yes they are thin at the top, so was last years, but I see several that will go late 2nd through the 4th round that can play, and could improve our secondary. Unless something strange happens that is where I would look for a CB, and probably a safety. I also see a couple DEs that could play OLB for us. Yes they are more speed than strength, but still have talent, particular in the pass rush. I would look for a kid that is willing to put in the work he needs to get better. A hard working player we draft likely will not be the same player we have in a year or so.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I like this corner draft. It has a good mix. You have longer corners that can play the edge, smaller guys to fill the slot, good variety. And, I never think a rookie will come in and start from day 1. To me, that is a helluva expectation. Out of the 1500 or so players eligible for a draft each year, which gets whittled down to 700 or so by teams and even whittled down to 300 or so for the combine, fans usually only see the top 100 or so. There are so many guys that develop from the guys not seen. And, only about 30 rookies start (on average) in the league each season. It is roughly one per team. Last year, of the first round corners, two barely saw playing time (Dennard, Verrett), one stunk (Gilbert), and two had solid seasons (Roby, Fuller). Breeland (4th) and EJ Gaines (6th) were both better as rookies than Dennard, Verrett, and Gilbert. A lot of later picks saw playing time and many contributed. I am fine with waiting until the middle rounds and taking a corner. I like the players that are currently slated in that area. Of course, they could rise, but right now, I would rather spend a 3rd and 6th on corners than spend my first.

As for OLBs, there are some that are being downgraded because they lack some of the desired coverage traits, but they play with pretty good power at the point and have some pass rush potential. Of course, they won't burn elite 40 times and that will keep them in the 2nd/3rd/4th round range, but I am fine with that. I am also not opposed to spending a 2nd and 5th on OLBs. I think this draft offers good value. I go for a guy like Kikaha in the 2nd (good power and has pass rush potential but lacks coverage skills) and then hit a more athletic pass rusher like Trail later. To me, you are increasing your odds of getting one good player. I like that better than spending a first and then forgetting about the position. What if that first round guy takes 3 years to develop, like we are HOPING happens with Jarvis Jones and happened with Worilds (if you feel he developed). Not many Woodleys floating around in a draft.

I actually love the middle rounds of this draft. I wish the Steelers had 4 picks in the 40-80 range. I think they could do a lot of damage if they did. I would rather have that than the 22nd pick.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you said. I like this corner draft. It has a good mix. You have longer corners that can play the edge, smaller guys to fill the slot, good variety. And, I never think a rookie will come in and start from day 1. To me, that is a helluva expectation. Out of the 1500 or so players eligible for a draft each year, which gets whittled down to 700 or so by teams and even whittled down to 300 or so for the combine, fans usually only see the top 100 or so. There are so many guys that develop from the guys not seen. And, only about 30 rookies start (on average) in the league each season. It is roughly one per team. Last year, of the first round corners, two barely saw playing time (Dennard, Verrett), one stunk (Gilbert), and two had solid seasons (Roby, Fuller). Breeland (4th) and EJ Gaines (6th) were both better as rookies than Dennard, Verrett, and Gilbert. A lot of later picks saw playing time and many contributed. I am fine with waiting until the middle rounds and taking a corner. I like the players that are currently slated in that area. Of course, they could rise, but right now, I would rather spend a 3rd and 6th on corners than spend my first.

As for OLBs, there are some that are being downgraded because they lack some of the desired coverage traits, but they play with pretty good power at the point and have some pass rush potential. Of course, they won't burn elite 40 times and that will keep them in the 2nd/3rd/4th round range, but I am fine with that. I am also not opposed to spending a 2nd and 5th on OLBs. I think this draft offers good value. I go for a guy like Kikaha in the 2nd (good power and has pass rush potential but lacks coverage skills) and then hit a more athletic pass rusher like Trail later. To me, you are increasing your odds of getting one good player. I like that better than spending a first and then forgetting about the position. What if that first round guy takes 3 years to develop, like we are HOPING happens with Jarvis Jones and happened with Worilds (if you feel he developed). Not many Woodleys floating around in a draft.

I actually love the middle rounds of this draft. I wish the Steelers had 4 picks in the 40-80 range. I think they could do a lot of damage if they did. I would rather have that than the 22nd pick.
    Your preaching to the choir on that one bud. Unless there is a huge surprise in the 1st, and that does seem to happen, I would like to get out of the 22nd spot. I also know that the chances of that happening are slim.

AML