Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL investigating Patriots for deflating footballs, per report

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Re: NFL investigating Patriots for deflating footballs, per report

Senior Member Array title="CapLovesTroyP43 is a jewel in the rough"> CapLovesTroyP43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Honest to God buddy, I really miss those days. The kids these days have no idea what football was back then.

Back then the team buses didn't go back to the hotel, they went directly to ER.
    So true!!!! Love that!!!! I'm a 70's gal myself. :-)

"BIG MEN AND BIG BLADES OF GRASS"

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/19/new...hick-tom-brady

Did the Patriots really illegally deflate footballs in the AFC Championship Game, as the NFL is investigating? Well, put it this way: There have been a lot of unbelievable NFL stories this season.

This is not one of them.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I don't know what's more aggravating the Patriots seeking an illegal edge or their sycophant fans running interference denying any relevance for this or any former offense. In a sense when they deny that cheating gives a team an advantage they are in fact saying their coach is illogical. Because even an animal calculates risk-reward into their choices, so if cheating is proved they're essentially claiming that Bellichick is dumber than a dog.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Everybody keeps asking "What's the big deal? A couple PSI difference isn't why the Colts got whipped anyways."

That may be true but it's a big deal because it establishes a pattern of cheating any time their given the chance. I know it wouldn't have made much difference in the game but I hope it ends up true because it just shines a brighter light on them and their cheating ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    This is the way I understand it. About an hour or so before kickoff each team is given a stock of balls. A certain amount are designated for offense and some are designated for the kicking game. When a team gets their allotment they usually have a clubhouse attendant rub the balls up, scuff em up a bit like pitchers in baseball do. Usually this attendant knows the qb's wants and desires and will get the ball to the qb's satisfaction within league limits. So whenever a team is on offense the balls being used are from their allotment. Now here's where the cheating comes in. the one thing you're not allowed to do with your allotment of balls is alter the inflation in any way. Slightly deflating the ball, particularly in inclement weather gives the qb a better grip on the ball and is generally considered to be a more catchable ball.

So the assertion both teams are playing with the same ball isn't true. If the Patriots were purposely altering the inflation of their assigned balls they were without question gaining an illegal advantage. The final score of the game is inconsequential. If the Patriots were proven to have cheated they most certainly did it to gain an unfair advantage. Just like spygate, you don't risk the consequense of getting caught unless you're gaining a clear competitive advantage over your opponent.

If these allegations prove true then in my opinion as repeat offenders both Bellichick and Kraft should be suspended for the duration of the 2015 season, along with forfeiture of their first round choice of the same draft.
    Partially true. The balls are selected by each team. Mainly the QB. The balls are then scuffed, rubbed, whatever. Given to the officials to be checked and marked. If there is an inflation problem, then the officiating crew inflates, deflates,mwhatever to make the balls legal. Then they balls are returned to the team and that's where the aches ting happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

sleezy pickle doodle Array title="touchdownward is a glorious beacon of light"> touchdownward's Avatar

Cheating is doing something outside the rules to gain an unfair advantage. That is exactly what the pats did yesterday. My question is (and I apologize if this has already been brought up in this thread), wouldn't the officials have noticed that the balls were different? If so, break out my tin foil hat, the fix was on!

Seriously though, Pete Rose has been banned for life from baseball for betting and Bellicheat keeps getting the slaps on the wrist. Not saying that Bellicheat should be banned for life, but a hefty fine, loss of significant draft choices and several game suspension, shouldn't be out of the question. Especially if this proves to be true (the saggy balls ), he would become a two time offender.
    BLAH!!!Forever loving and missing you Gal.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Partially true. The balls are selected by each team. Mainly the QB. The balls are then scuffed, rubbed, whatever. Given to the officials to be checked and marked. If there is an inflation problem, then the officiating crew inflates, deflates,mwhatever to make the balls legal. Then they balls are returned to the team and that's where the aches ting happens...
    In New England's case, isn't that like a guy robbing a 7-11 and the cops giving him the money back for safe keeping.

AML

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    In New England's case, isn't that like a guy robbing a 7-11 and the cops giving him the money back for safe keeping.
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by touchdownward View Post
    Cheating is doing something outside the rules to gain an unfair advantage. That is exactly what the pats did yesterday. My question is (and I apologize if this has already been brought up in this thread), wouldn't the officials have noticed that the balls were different? If so, break out my tin foil hat, the fix was on!
    They did, I believe, which is exactly why some were taking out of play and put aside for later checking.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Mayb e the Colts only got the fat balls while the Pats had their choice of convenience?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Report: Pick led to NFL's probe

An interception by Indianapolis Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson during Sunday's AFC Championship Game is what initially led to an NFL investigation into whether the New England Patriots intentionally deflated footballs during their rain-soaked victory, Newsday is reporting.

The newspaper, citing a person familiar with background of the matter, reported that Jackson, following his second-quarter interception, gave the ball to a member of the Colts' equipment staff, who noticed it was not fully inflated and informed Indianapolis coach Chuck Pagano.

According to the Newsday report, as well as WCVB-TV in Boston, Colts general manager Ryan Grigson was alerted about the ball in the Gillette Stadium press box. Grigson contacted NFL director of football operations Mike Kensil, who then told game officials during halftime.....

read more @ http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...sportscenterFB

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

On Monday, a league spokesman confirmed to ESPN that the NFL is investigating the matter. Vice president of football operations Troy Vincent told Pro Football Talk on Tuesday that the investigation will be completed within the next two to three days, but did not specify when the findings of the investigation would be announced.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Yep, gonna "Officer Barbrady" this one for sure. It also doesn't help that Vincent is an ex-Patriot*.

UPDATE: It looks like Deflategate may be coming to a conclusion just in time to focus on the Super Bowl.

NFL Expects to Wrap Up Patriots 'Deflategate' Investigation in Next 2-3 Days
    Steve Silva
    @stevesilva
    Boston.com Staff

NFL executive VP of football operations Troy Vincent, speaking on Pro Football Talk Live on NBC Sports radio Tuesday, said the investigation into the Patriots alleged use of under-inflated footballs in the AFC Championship game should be coming to a close soon.

"We’re hoping to wrap that up in the next two or three days," Vincent said. "The team is in place in New England now interviewing staff members."

Read More: http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...ls_for_af.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post

"We’re hoping to wrap that up in the next two or three days," Vincent said. "The team is in place in New England now interviewing staff members."
    Hmmmmmm....have to assume the balls did not weigh out correctly.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I can imagine the "interviews" now...

NFL Rep: "Did you or anyone else on the team's staff deflate any of the footballs allotted to you for the game?"

Pats Staffer: "No."

NFL Rep: "Works for me."

Wrap up equals destroying all evidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Soooooooooo, the officials, the ones that handled the ball before every snap, did not notice the underinflated footballs until someone on the Colts staff brought it to their attention. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK.

In other news. The suspect balls where given to the NE equipment manager to be delivered to the investigation committee. On arrival the footballs were found to be inflated properly. Because of the lack of evidence Roger Goodell declared the case be closed and the ball be destroyed, along with the air pump found in the equipment managers car.

AML

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

the story will say the ball boy did it .
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

NFL has found that 11 of the Patriots footballs used in Sunday’s AFC title game were under-inflated by 2 lbs each, per league sources. Tweet from Chris Mortenson

What balls, we never received any balls, and the person that signed for them is on a 10 month vacation to someplace in Argentina.

Sorry, I hope I am wrong, but it seem this story has been played out before with little or no results. Maybe this will end with a satisfactory ending, and maybe Santa will be found living in a magical village at the North Pole.

AML

This is huge. Assuming the Colts balls all stayed at pre game inflation levels this is a scandal. 11 balls, all 2 lbs under inflated, that's pre meditation. They knew they weren't allowed to do it but did it anyway. The final score is inconsequential. It's cheating plain and simple. It's not heat of the moment, it's pre meditated. It's given the league a black eye going into their showcase game. Bellichick and Kraft should both be banned for at least a season. Possibly Brady too. I'm sure those balls were doctored to his exact specifications.

Here's the tweet Zu alluded to:

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

11 of 12 Pats' footballs under-inflated

The New England Patriots had 11 of their 12 allotted game footballs under-inflated by 2 pounds of air (PSI) less than what's required by NFL regulations, according to league sources either involved or familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC championship game when the Patriots beat the Colts 45-7 to advance to their sixth Super Bowl.

"We are not commenting at this time," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of communications.

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id...mpionship-game

How the League can continue to let this stuff go on is beyond me. The cheating bastards need to be stopped, and Goodell needs to be ousted.

- - - Updated - - -

And now the Ratbirds chime in. This is gettin' juicy!

Some Ravens think footballs were under-inflated vs. Patriots

Some of the Baltimore Ravens believe kicking balls used in their playoff game at New England were slightly under-inflated, according to league sources.

With the Patriots under investigation for possibly under-inflating balls in their playoff win against the Colts, sources said some on Baltimore's sideline believed there may have been irregularities with the kicking balls used in their AFC divisional playoff game at Foxborough, Mass., on Jan. 10.

Baltimore's kicking and punting units were not getting their normal depth and distance, and some believed the balls they were using may have been deflated.
    An NFL spokesman said he had no knowledge of the Ravens filing a complaint.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...ed-vs-patriots

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="Boh will become famous soon enough"> Boh's Avatar

wow. I don't know what to say about this.
    https://i.imgur.com/GCEAsxD.png

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Go Hawks. Yeah, that means those whiny simp fans will get to pound their chests for another year, but it is FAR preferable to having the Pats* cheat their way to another championship, and probably with the NFL's blessing. There is no other team nor fan base in all of the years I have watched pro sports that I loathe more than the Patriots*. Not even Dallas or Baltimore.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but Go Hawks. Yeah, that means those whiny simp fans will get to pound their chests for another year, but it is FAR preferable to having the Pats* cheat their way to another championship, and probably with the NFL's blessing.
    Holy shit, you may actually be right about that. What a sorry state of affairs this is.
    See you Space Cowboy ...